Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Need Help With PC Parts

NonbinaryDuck

Okay, I'm currently saving up to build my own PC, and the highest I'll go with my budget is $500-$1,000. I highly doubt I'll go over $700, due to me being underaged and not being able to hold down a job, not to also mention it's already taking me awhile to save up to $500.

The PC I'm intending to build is, yes, going to be a gaming PC. I'm well aware that due to my financial limitation I'm not going to have the best parts, but I'm at least wanting some ideas to help me get a push-start to try to find some things out on my own.

Keep in mind when suggesting tower cases, I'm not picky with appearance, more of performance. Although I do love tower cases with interior designs to help me out more when actually building, but besides the point I'm really okay with a plain case. I prefer ATX over mATX, so please keep that in mind. (Ventilation for the computer is very important to me, so smaller cases make me feel uncomfortable and kind of on edge/concerned.)

Thanks for reading, and hopefully some techy pony can help!  :adorkable: 

Would you like peripherals to be included in this build as well?  Like the keyboard, monitor, mouse, and speakers.  Or would you like it to just be the core components of the system?

Would you like the OS to be included in the system build as well?  Windows 7 or 8.

Also what resolution will you be gaming at?  Like 720p, 1080p, or 1440p.

Here's what I came up with for a pc that will be gaming at 1080p with no peripherals included: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4Xczy  This is also based on what I would choose personally.

CPU - A cheap Intel Core i5 since newer games are utilizing more than two cores.

CPU Cooler - None, because you probably won't be overclocking anything.

Motherboard - H97 since Z97 is not needed, and it was a cheap ATX motherboard.

Memory - 8GB of ram since it's pretty much the standard for a gaming setup.  The red may clash with the blue motherboard but the case doesn't have a window so it shouldn't matter.

Storage - 1TB HDD and you can upgrade to an SSD later once you have the funds.

GPU - R9 280 for a powerful card that has 3GB of Vram.

Case - Cheap and has an ATX form factor.  I hate cases with bad cable management so I put a bit more money towards this.

PSU - Seasonic because they are a very trustworthy brand.  It's also fully modular because I can't stand non-modular PSUs.

Optical Drive - Some Asus thing because you don't need an amazing OD.

Would you like peripherals to be included in this build as well?  Like the keyboard, monitor, mouse, and speakers.  Or would you like it to just be the core components of the system?

Would you like the OS to be included in the system build as well?  Windows 7 or 8.

Also what resolution will you be gaming at?  Like 720p, 1080p, or 1440p.

Here's what I came up with for a pc that will be gaming at 1080p with no peripherals included: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/g4Xczy  This is also based on what I would choose personally.

CPU - A cheap Intel Core i5 since newer games are utilizing more than two cores.

CPU Cooler - None, because you probably won't be overclocking anything.

Motherboard - H97 since Z97 is not needed, and it was a cheap ATX motherboard.

Memory - 8GB of ram since it's pretty much the standard for a gaming setup.  The red may clash with the blue motherboard but the case doesn't have a window so it shouldn't matter.

Storage - 1TB HDD and you can upgrade to an SSD later once you have the funds.

GPU - R9 280 for a powerful card that has 3GB of Vram.

Case - Cheap and has an ATX form factor.  I hate cases with bad cable management so I put a bit more money towards this.

PSU - Seasonic because they are a very trustworthy brand.  It's also fully modular because I can't stand non-modular PSUs.

Optical Drive - Some Asus thing because you don't need an amazing OD.

I already know what peripherals I'm going to get, so that's of no concern! :)

I'm planning to go with Windows 8(.1), but I'm still quite skeptical.. I had Windows 7 (instead now I'm using the Windows 10 prev. which definitely isn't better than Windows 7,) and it worked like a charm, but considering how many other people we're complaining about Win. 8, I'm afraid taking any risks, but at the same time I want to keep up to date with the OS.

Also thank you all for suggesting some parts! These are actually more decent than what I expected considering the price. Haha, the laptop I'm using right now (pre-built though, obviously,) costed $1,200 and the specs are pure crap. Amazing how technology is developing.. and getting less expensive :P

Thank you!

• Brohoof 1

8.1 isn't as bad as it used to be. You can get add-ons that make it function more like 7 (I haven't looked at the dashboard thingy with the tiles in about a year) and hardly tell the difference unless you're doing a lot of advanced system jazz.

• Brohoof 2

I already know what peripherals I'm going to get, so that's of no concern! :)

I'm planning to go with Windows 8(.1), but I'm still quite skeptical.. I had Windows 7 (instead now I'm using the Windows 10 prev. which definitely isn't better than Windows 7,) and it worked like a charm, but considering how many other people we're complaining about Win. 8, I'm afraid taking any risks, but at the same time I want to keep up to date with the OS.

Also thank you all for suggesting some parts! These are actually more decent than what I expected considering the price. Haha, the laptop I'm using right now (pre-built though, obviously,) costed $1,200 and the specs are pure crap. Amazing how technology is developing.. and getting less expensive :P

Thank you!

You're welcome  :)

Choosing parts for your first build can be very difficult.  Unless if you just want to throw a hodgepodge of hardware together and pray that it all works well, which is never a good idea  :lol:

My PC is pretty overkill for its intended use.  I have dual GTX 970s on a single 1080p monitor and 16GBs of ram when I only needed 8.

Also, when you're only using a PC for gaming then the most important component is the GPU.  But in order to choose the right GPU for the job then you have to take what resolution you'll be playing at into account (that will determine how much GPU power you truly need to have a satisfactory gaming experience).  Take what games you'll be playing into account as well (if you're going to be playing the latest and greatest AAA games then you're going to need more GPU horsepower as well).

• Brohoof 1