Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

does any pony play the CCG?

Cherry_Bloom

Oh gosh at some point if love to play but I play magic: the gathering weekly and am involved heavily with the card game and gaming scene locally and I have met nobody that knows the mlp tcg exists. I'd say give it some time to take off but I have a feeling it's a flash in the pan

I definitely do not play much at all, but I love collecting the cards. :) The game is surprisingly complex, quite so. Plus I always am terrible at making decks in these types of games. The cards are awesome though. I pulled an Ultra Rare Spike last month that I want to build a deck around.

I used to play a lot last year. Our local comic shop was drawing very well, at times as many as for Magic.   But then, came summer of last year, Gencon, the annual gaming convention happened. They hosted an MLP tournament, and that tournament unfortunately highlighted some flaws within the game. That tournament essentially showed how over powered certain deck combinations and cards were. Really, Gencon broke the game.  After that, the numbers rapidly dwindled. It wasnt' worth showing up anymore. 

From my experience, there are two primary ways to win: A rush strategy, where you stock up on tokens and move your characters en masse or in rapid succession to the problems. Or a control strategy, where you prevent your opponent from solving their problems.

It seems most people I come across play the latter, typically done with pink, yellow & white cards.  And it is not fun to play against. To face someone who dictates which pony goes where, how many tokens you have, what you draw, how many ponies you can have, it's frustrating. They're preventing me from playing the game, which pretty much goes against the entire point. It's antifun. So combine a lack of players with a frustrating strategy of choice, and there was little reason for me to stay. 

The game can be fun at times and it's very well thought out. There's just no one to play against, and it kinda stopped being fun. I heard they came out with a new set, so maybe that'll spark some interest, but for now, I'm out of it. 

Truth be told, I'm actually into another kind of MLP card game. And it's a whole nother kind of ridiculous fun.

20140612183615!TSSSF_Cover.png

Looking forward to playing it with some peeps at Bronycon.

Me and my friend plays it... and i say it is really fun :D i really can't get enough. Although my only complaint is that fluttershy/yellow is too OP like heck it can reach like 50+ power also Rariry/white with the ability inspired can really wreck on how your opponent draw their card.the TCG just been released in my country so i don't know much people who plays it.

I really wish they could nerf the yellow typing's power and the inspired ability :c

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I scored a free Celestial Solstice set at BronyCAN this year, and I'm alarmed at how expensive it would be if I were to order it from either Amazon.ca or Amazon.com. Anyways, I also made the apparently wise decision to get a Pinkie Pie/Fluttershy starter set. Celestial Solstice alone is not really ideal for building a deck, and I kind of want to build my own custom deck at some point, though I have absolutely zero experience with this game so I'm glad the starter sets are complete out of the box.

The thing is, I want to try a game or two first with the starter sets I have. I may end up breaking them up at some point to mix and match with Celestial Solstice cards, but plan on saving that for when I've at least had some experience playing the game. The only problem is I have no one to play it with. I live in the Lower Mainland BC, so I could theoretically enter the tournament at next year's BronyCAN, but I don't know if I want that to be my first experience with the game, and I'd have to wait a year for that. Arrgghhh! Few things are more frustrating than getting something cool and being unable to properly enjoy it. Oh well, I'm sure I will figure something out eventually.

• Brohoof 2

I would but don't have the time or money to do so (broke college kid).

In that case you might be happy to know that the starter set I bought only set me back $20 CAD. Con prices don't have tax, but do tend to be a little bit inflated. Some sets can be costly, but the great thing with my particular starter set is that it comes with two decks that are complete out of the box, and both of them are two colour decks with all the cards you need for a regulation deck. In my very limited and not at all firsthand experience, they appear to be decent enough decks too. I'm sure a lot of fans have created better decks, but the official starter decks aren't bad to start with, especially if you just want to play the game for fun, like I do.

You could even go halfsies with a friend on a starter set and each take one deck, and you don't have to concern yourself with collecting booster packs if you just have a casual interest in the CCG. That also takes care of any trepidation regarding deck building if you don't feel confident in doing so, as the decks are premade for you. Make sure what you're getting is an actual starter set though as I found out I can't build a two colour deck with Celestial Solstice alone. Now, not having time for the CCG is another matter entirely, but it appears to lend itself reasonably well to just simple two player fun like any number of tabletop card games, and the collectible aspect appears to be optional so it doesn't have to be a total time sink. My sets are going to be sitting in my closet for the foreseeable future though, so having someone to play with will probably help too.

• Brohoof 1

I have a starter set that my sister plays with me, though I would like to find more people to play the game with. I know there's a shop in my city hosting a demo for the game on Saturday, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get someone to drive me there. I guess I'll see what happens.

• Brohoof 1

I have decks and I wanna play sooo bad, but nobody wants to, not even my bro who acknowledges MLP as a good show :(

Same here. At one point I contemplated if it was possible to play it with my friend in Baltimore over Skype video chat, but then I came to the conclusion that it would be less than ideal since it would be hard to see both sets of problem cards, and everything else for that matter. I would assume there would be a lot of inquiring to see cards on the other side of the screen. That might be a fun experiment to try at some point but I don't know if it will work very well.

Same here. At one point I contemplated if it was possible to play it with my friend in Baltimore over Skype video chat, but then I came to the conclusion that it would be less than ideal since it would be hard to see both sets of problem cards, and everything else for that matter. I would assume there would be a lot of inquiring to see cards on the other side of the screen. That might be a fun experiment to try at some point but I don't know if it will work very well.

I think if a fan made a computerized version of the game, that would be so cool. I would, but don't have the knowledge yet to make games on my own.