Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on the Spike x Rarity ship?

JonasDarkmane

Personally, I am kinda against the ship since I find Spike to be too young, him to be of a completely different race and because I personally don't think that Rarity is interested in him :/. 

However, what are your thoughts? 

spike_and_rarity_mlp_by_koneko_kisses-d4

• Brohoof 5

It's got the most depth among all the other couples. Cadence and Shining Armor seems distant, Big Mac and Cheerilee is just saying sappy words to each other. You just don't feel the love.

• Brohoof 2

I'm OK with that ship. I like to imagine an older Spike finally managing to win over Rarity.

Spikebelle is an awful ship, it's basically Spike taking Sweetie Belle as a consolation prize because he can't get the real thing.

Applespike is not as bad, but given how Spike's love for Rarity is completely canon, I don't see how one can interpret his actions in "Spike At Your Service" as anything but platonic.

Other Spike ships have no evidence for them, so they would count as crack pairings.

• Brohoof 4

I'm okay with it, I guess... I'm honestly not a fan of shippings involving males Spike in general, though Sparity makes the most sense, to me. All the same, Spike feels too young to be with her, and I just don't get that excited thinking about them together. :l

• Brohoof 1

It's got the most depth among all the other couples. Cadence and Shining Armor seems distant, Big Mac and Cheerilee is just saying sappy words to each other. You just don't feel the love.

Yeah, that's true :\ they need to show more love!

• Brohoof 1

I like to imagine an older Spike finally managing to win over Rarity.

This all the way.

Spikebelle is an awful ship, it's basically Spike taking Sweetie Belle as a consolation prize because he can't get the real thing.

And this. It'd be one thing if they've had any interaction other than that one photo from the wedding. I've seen some people characterize it as Sweetie Belle having a crush on Spike, who's too busy crushing on Rarity to notice, that's kind of cute. Good for you if you legitimately think it's a good ship, But an unfortunate amount of dudes are like, "Heh, if he can't get the girl, settle for the sister, am I right?!"

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It seems to work best once spike looks grown up and the two drawn either humanized or anthro style. 

large.png

As for pony Rarity and... older Spike, it can look awkward because of the drastic differences in shape. A quadruped and a biped... looks pretty awkward. Though the less people think about it coming from the bedroom, the more they can see it as being love from two beings sharing a strong bond with one another. See them not as a biped and a quadruped but rather as two souls who have chosen to walk through life together to the bitter end.

large.jpeg

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I suppose I could understand older Spike and Rarity.

But for this post I'm specifically referring to child Spike and adult Rarity. I find this highly questionable; why is it fine for child character to have such relations with adult character? We don't see same sort of relations with, for example, a CMC with Big Mac; people would cry "PEDOPHILE!" yet that doesn't apply to child Spike and adult Rarity for some reason.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

It's just like Brian and Lois from Family Guy.

Even if they both acknowledge that there might be something there, it will never and can never happen. It's basically just a running joke at this point.

• Brohoof 4

Rarispike is one of my favorite ships! Though I like to imagine spike is a bit older before her wins her heart! <3

(Plus, their fan-made daughter, Crystal Clarity, is the EPITOME of cuteness. Look at her!)

808e2d72b3bd1da357c7ad6feb097a48.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Edit: I seriously spend like, 1 or 2 and a half hours typing this all. Wow.

Never really cared it.

I'm neatural to it personally but also dislike it. Megan McCathy said in a interview that she HATES Sparity and Dislestia so I highly doubt both of them will ever become cannon.

Spike orginially feel heads over heels with Rarity mainly for her psychical appearance. He's pretty much marveling at her looks in the very first episode (Rarity is the prettiest of the Mane Six though you gotta admit with the prettiest character design!)

Sure, Spike has matured a bit in Inspirtion Masfesion (or however you spell it), Simple Ways, and especially Secret To My Excess.

And we kinda see some development between the two. With Spike comforting her and seeing a bit of Rarity's personality and inner beauty but the shipping and Spike's affections towards Rarity are mostly based upon the outer beauty of Rarity and Spike constantly admires Rarity's looks rather than admire more for her personality.

And Rarity's appearance is the orgin of the crush.

We do see Spike and Rarity bonding sharing tender moments with each other and Spike really has matured in season 4 a bit.

Especially in Inspirtion Masfesion and Simple Ways. He isn't whiny or depressd with heartbreak in the slightest over Rarity fangirling over Trender Poop Hoof. And he comforts Spike and almost companions her in the episode.

I was pretty surprised by Spike's maturity in that scene actually.

Also in Inspirtion Masfesion with Spike comforting Rarity acting even more maturely. We also see Spike struggle with a inner conflict in himself to tell Rarity the truth of his opinion on Rarity's actions. Good development I suppose.

And Secret To My Excess was good too. Spike is willingly giving away a birthday gift for himself for the pony that took his heart

(pun not intended)

and is happy that Rarity is happy. Which matters most to him.is her happiness due to his little puppy crush.

And the ending of course remembering that moment between him, Rarity, and that kiss.

All in all, the shipping has some good development and pontenial. Except Megan's hatred of course.

But a lot of people tend to complain Rarity taking the heart gem was Rarity taking advantage of Spike's generousity which it does somewhat feels like (and this is coming from a Rarity fan!)

With other episodes people feel she takes advantages from him. I kinda disagree in a few ways. Why would Rarity do that anyways? She seems somehow unaware of his affections and attraction to her. So  can't see how and if she found out about the crush, she'd most likely be both slightly flattered and a bit in shock at the same time.

As for other Spike ships...

2) SpikeBelle:

I'm OK with that ship. I like to imagine an older Spike finally managing to win over Rarity.

Applespike is not as bad, but given how Spike's love for Rarity is completely canon, I don't see how one can interpret his actions in "Spike At Your Service" as anything but platonic.

Other Spike ships have no evidence for them, so they would count as crack pairings.As said before, it depends on the person and shipper, not all Spikebelle shippers agree on Spike going for the sister. Take me for a example. I DESPISE that idea.

Not all SpikeBelle shippers agree on the whole "Go for the sister dude!" trope. Take me a for example: I DOWNRIGHT BLOODY DESPISE that cliche' in SpikeBelle fanwork.

As for AppleSpike, (I prefer SpikeJack so it's not mixed with good old Applebloom. :catface: )  like I said, they have some good and decent moments of interaction in a few episodes here and there at times.

You can even imagine them off-screen. A good moment between them I can recall is in the ending and aftermath of the Ticket Master.

I somewhat agree on the other ships being crack-shippings. Some of the other Spike X Mane Six however have good moments of bonding. Except the show's focus is on Sparity. However, it's like the phrase;

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

In this case it's "Shipping Chemstrity and Moments are in the eye of the beholder" or something like that.

We can use our imaginations and potray the ships anyway we wish to. And a lot of fanworks like fan-fiction as key examples could make almost any shipping work. And like said, Spike has great moments between the other Mane Six besides Rarity like Twilight for example. Though I agree we could clasify and consider them as crack-ships.

1) Spikebelle: Cute idea. Sadly only interaction is that moment in a Canterlot Wedding. Plus, I like to point out it's tradionial for a ring boy to dance with a flower girl. Then again it's interesting they use Sweetie Belle, Rarity's own little sister, instead of Applebloom and Scootaloo. (I despise SpikeBloom anyways so eh :P ) Not to mention they both have similar personalitles. Both can be kinda dorky or goofy at times, can mess things up and annoy everypony around them (Spike can quite annoy Twilight and we see Sweetie constantly get on Rarity's nerves though they later get cool with it), both are thought to be less than everyone else as Sweetie is looked down upon with the other Crusaders for being a blank-flank and a complete dorky goof who can mess up easily which can describe Spike as he tries to prove everyone around him wrong that he's better than their expectations. Which Sweetie Belle constantly tries to do mostly for getting her Cutie Mark and using everypony she's great with theater work in For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils.

Also: http://www.fimfiction.net/group/198085/spikebelle/thread/166504/spoiler-alert-anyone-else-think-season-5-episode-1-was-a-great-oppertunity-to-add-spikebelle-into-the-show

This all the way.

And this. It'd be one thing if they've had any interaction other than that one photo from the wedding. I've seen some people characterize it as Sweetie Belle having a crush on Spike, who's too busy crushing on Rarity to notice, that's kind of cute. Good for you if you legitimately think it's a good ship, But an unfortunate amount of dudes are like, "Heh, if he can't get the girl, settle for the sister, am I right?!"

^^^^THIS. The words taken right out of my horse mouth.
(Pun not intended, once again.)

The shipping is more potrayed with Sweetie as the one hitting on Spike while Spike is busy marveling and daydreaming of impossible adventures of saving his fair lady princess Rarity.

Rather unfortunate for those who do use the other potrayal of "Can't get the hot/cute girl? Go for the sister!"

I want to rip that apart so badly. And very unlikely. Spike would most likely if rejected go depressed for a bit and eat a lot of ice cream like he did in one episode when he felt sad or depressed. Can't quite recall. Or sleep in bed all day.

Then later schemeing up a plan to win Rarity's affections over like Senpai Notice Me or something.

Sweetie developing some kind of crush on Spike would be more likely and fit more perfectly in the show rather than Spike noticing Sweetie Belle first.

---------------------------------------------

Done with SpikeBelle.

As for my opinion on a certain apple and dragon:

2) SpikeJack: Not bad. Like I've mentioned before: we see some moments between them in the series. In the Ticket Master we see him at the end all giddy over his ticket so Applejack all smug-like and acting like :toldya: They actually have good interaction. Especially the ending of Spike At Your Service. Despite being a bad episode, there are a few moments like when Applejack just saved Spike from the timberwolves and at the end which was good interaction and bonding. They also seem to have other moments in other episodes we don't really notice that could be off-screen too. Not to mention the little blushing moment between them in Spike At Your Service near the end.

Edited by GoldKingdomKeyblade

I feel like it's the same with Dipper and Wendy in Gravity falls. It just need that episode where Rarity will finally explain him why she can't like him the same way and tell him to just remain friends. This should already happen in S3 but somehow for DHX this crush is still funny.

• Brohoof 4

I think it is nice that Spike likes her but at the same time I feel kind of bad for spike. I am pretty sure he knows deep down it's a lost cause but yet he really likes her. Loving something yet knowing it'll never happen kind of bittersweet is it not? It adds a bit of flavor to the show and I don't mind it all really but it's just a one-sided thing going there and I think both characters know that.

• Brohoof 2

I never really cared for it. Spike's to young, and Rarity doesn't seem interested in him like that. Rarity even treats him more like a child then a close friend. Yeah it's 'cute', but if they actually did get together in the show, I'm sure some parents would call Rarity a pedophile. There's a better chance for it to happen if Spike was older though, so then it's not completely out of the question. As for his race, I don't think it really matters.

• Brohoof 2

I find it a bit weird but then I think about how Spike has been around ponies all his life so he's probably attracted to them more than he is to dragons. It is never going to happen though, something tells me this is just a phase Spike is going through and he'll be over Rarity once he gets older.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Neutral.

I like the idea but Rarity sometimes takes profit of Spike, and I hope Spike will eventually refuse to help her at some point. I mean when you love someone, you don't become their slave... :/

But I've never really cared about it anyway.

Him falling in love with a female baby dragon (or the opposite) would be more interesting.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 2

I really enjoyed Illya reading "The Iridescent Iron Rat" because it briefly looked at the Rarity Spike relationship they had as adults after the event. From the fanfic perspective it showed it had some milage in it. It also shows Spike to be very clever and having the ability to teleport.

Fine with it as an adult ship. As for the series it is like Dipper's crush.

(Inseam is is Rarity's alter ego in this tale)

She chuckled, a hint of a blush on her cheeks. "That's our little in-joke. A century after we drifted apart, when the great thief Inseam sought him out for advice, and he helped me decide to found the Corps … he fell in love with me all over again, but as an adult, and with an adult mature enough to reciprocate. To this day he claims that Inseam's greatest heist was stealing his heart."

By Horizon

• Brohoof 1

I'm personally not for it. I think it's a great demonstration of a littl e boy having a crush on his older neighbor in a sort of way. If you're guy you probably met some older girl when you were young that was just really nice to you and acted like she cared and stuff, just a plus for Spike; Rarity is beautiful.

So Spike is infatuated by both her looks and her and knowing how clever Rarity is, she plays along. I mean, I just recently had a bunch of 1st graaders ship me with another volunteer at the youth camp i taught at. For the sake of them, we played along. 

So i kind of see it like that, Rarity plays along with Spike and doesn't want to break his heart, her being generous and kind and all. So she just plays along and i think that's as far as it goes. 

And to back up the "But what if Rarity likes him" or whatever, let's list her celebrity crushes shall we? Some pop designer i forgot his hame, Trendorhoof and Prince Blueblood. She's actively looking for a relationship as seen when she takes the flowers in "A Canterlot Wedding" and her previously mentioned crushes. 

Since it's sort of already established that she knows Spike likes her and she is still actively looking a partner although their is Spike, which she knows likes him. It's implied; as stated many times. She continues pursuing elsewhere, meaning she take sno interest in Spike, and since that's in the show. It could be defined as "Canon" in a sense if you're able to connect the dots.

With that being said and rambled, Since it's sort of Canon that it'll never happen unless like a complete change of heart then... I'm not supporting the ship. 

• Brohoof 3

One of the more interesting elements of the show, especially since Lauren invented it as a simple device to show the audience in dialog that Rarity was physically beautiful ... something that was difficult to do visually since the Mane 6 share a body type.

My favorite moment in the entire show is the fall during The Secret of my Excess. Yet I do not ship them, nor do I have an issue with those that do.

• Brohoof 2