Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on the Spike x Rarity ship?

JonasDarkmane

(edited)

1. Get my least favorite character away from my favorite character. Blargh Spike doesn't deserve Rarity. 

2. It's puppy love he is a child! She is portrayed as the beautiful fashionable one of course he is mesmerized. I used to have a family friend's son absolutely in (puppy) love with me until he got to be about 12 and now he's completely embarrassed by it. It will pass, at least I hope it does. I do not support this ship, I would sink it myself if I could.

(My Spike hate is leaking all over this post sorry, this is a more personal reason than a logical one.)

Edited by Kellie
  • Brohoof 3

1. Get my least favorite character away from my favorite character. Blargh Spike doesn't deserve Rarity. 

2. It's puppy love he is a child! She is portrayed as the beautiful fashionable one of course he is mesmerized. I used to have a family friend's son absolutely in (puppy) love with me until he got to be about 12 and now he's completely embarrassed by it. It will pass, at least I hope it does. I do not support this ship, I would sink it myself if I could.

(My Spike hate is leaking all over this post sorry, this is a more personal reason than a logical one.)

It's fine. A lot of people actually don't like Spike and don't like Sparity because of him. I don't hate Spike, but he's one of the main things I don't like about the shipping really.

And it's okay to let your spike hate leak over your post! This thread is asking for your opinion, after all. It is asking for your thoughts so you can use any reason whether they be logical or personal! :D

And yeah I agree, Rarity is my favorite of the Mane Six and Spike is my one of least favorite characters in the show although I don't hate him so I feel the same way as you. :P

He's isn't really that mature for Rarity to deserve her in my opinion personally. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

I like Spike a lot.  I also like Rarity, but I don't like how Rarity can sometimes be a little manipulative when it comes to getting Spike to do things for her.  I don't think this happens as much in later seasons as it does earlier but I've noticed that I'm not alone in this line of thinking. 

I think if Spike grows up and matures a little more and gets a little bit more of a backbone then I wouldn't mind seeing that "ship" happen but right now it just feels an inequitable relationship as far as relative age and maturity is concerned.

• Brohoof 2

I think you are right about Spike being too young but I still really like the ship. I enjoy their relationship. Rarity has always been very nice and sweet towards Spike I think she knows Spike has a crush on her. I'm also real fan of the fan comic crazy future. In that comic, one of the main ships is Spike x Rarity and I really enjoy it. I'm definitely not against it :)

• Brohoof 1

It's fine. A lot of people actually don't like Spike and don't like Sparity because of him. I don't hate Spike, but he's one of the main things I don't like about the shipping really.

And it's okay to let your spike hate leak over your post! This thread is asking for your opinion, after all. It is asking for your thoughts so you can use any reason whether they be logical or personal! :D

And yeah I agree, Rarity is my favorite of the Mane Six and Spike is my one of least favorite characters in the show although I don't hate him so I feel the same way as you. :P

He's isn't really that mature for Rarity to deserve her in my opinion personally. :maud:

Thanks for the understanding!

Personally, I think if the ponies WERE to ever end with someone (probably not too likely due to show's demographics) Rarity wouldn't end with someone as high class as her many ~amazing~ crushes, but at least someone very mature and well respected. I don't know if Spike is maturing anytime soon. 

• Brohoof 3

Thanks for the understanding!

Personally, I think if the ponies WERE to ever end with someone (probably not too likely due to show's demographics) Rarity wouldn't end with someone as high class as her many ~amazing~ crushes, but at least someone very mature and well respected. I don't know if Spike is maturing anytime soon.

You're welcome. :)

And yes, I completely agree. But Rarity ever ends up with some stallion in the show, it should be a pony who would for sure treat her as a lady and have a great deal of respect for her and maturity.

Personally I think Spike is kinda maturing right now. He was a little bit more mature and I think he started in season 4. Even if his episodes were pretty awful in those seasons. Spike is sometimes mature, but he still acts like a abolscent 12 year old and has odd behaviors. (Like smelling his own feet on his checklist of things to do in I think the episode Spike At Your Service.)

And I'm sure Rarity would be a bit disgusted at Spike smelling his own filthy, stinky feet. :P

• Brohoof 1

It has been canon from Episode 1 that Spike has a crush on Rarity.  He even tells Twilight & Pinkie in Green Isn't Your Color.  IMO, Rarity's feelings are a bit more complex.  In Dog & Pony Show, Dragon Quest & other episodes it is shown she cares for him.  At the end of Secret of My Excess, it is strongly implied she knows how he feels about her.

IMO, she feels like Twilight does.  That is, she thinks of him as a little brother, but less of a pain than Sweetie Belle.  Like many beautiful women, she takes shameless advantage of his feelings.  Her glamoring that ruby out of him at the start of Secret of My Excess is the most blatant example but she never hesitates to get him to do what she wants (in her defense, I'd say she wants the ruby because it is trendy, not because it is valuable)

Still, having a crush on some unattainable older person is a phase most of us go through at 1 time or another & I'm sure Rarity will let him down as gently as possible.  

• Brohoof 1

I like it in the sense Spike has a crush on Rarity. It's adorable, and I don't blame him. Rarity is the most beautiful mare in all of Equestria. I don't think they should be together, though. put it in a rule 63 perspective if it were to become canon. Elusive, an adult male,  is dating Barbara, a little girl. That doesn't sound too cute, does it? 

It has been canon from Episode 1 that Spike has a crush on Rarity.  He even tells Twilight & Pinkie in Green Isn't Your Color.  IMO, Rarity's feelings are a bit more complex.  In Dog & Pony Show, Dragon Quest & other episodes it is shown she cares for him.  At the end of Secret of My Excess, it is strongly implied she knows how he feels about her.

IMO, she feels like Twilight does.  That is, she thinks of him as a little brother, but less of a pain than Sweetie Belle.  Like many beautiful women, she takes shameless advantage of his feelings.  Her glamoring that ruby out of him at the start of Secret of My Excess is the most blatant example but she never hesitates to get him to do what she wants (in her defense, I'd say she wants the ruby because it is trendy, not because it is valuable)

Still, having a crush on some unattainable older person is a phase most of us go through at 1 time or another & I'm sure Rarity will let him down as gently as possible.  

No, she expresses the value of the ruby. If she didn't care about the value, so she did care more about that. If she actually wanted the ruby only because it was trendy, that would have made her look much worse. The fact that it was very valuable was more of a reason to not want Spike to eat it. Also, Rarity didn't charm Spike or use any manipulation to get it. M.A. Larson, the writer of that episode, said she was just admiring the beauty. The animators for that episode decided to make Rarity look bad in that scene...Besides, Rarity rarely uses her charm for selfish means. It's usually to benefit other ponies. 

• Brohoof 4

• 4 months later...

I have no idea why I am reviving this to just say that NO I DON'T like Sparity BUT I do admire Sparity's shippers for being really freaking active to the point where they crush the second most popular ship in art (which would be Rarijack) by about 1000 on Derpibooru and are basically the only prolific writers among Rarity shippers. With Rarijack writers, despite it probably being the more popular ship overall being unable to finish pretty much anything or write more than 3 fics. and other Rarity ships just barely existing.

So I dislike their ship but I think they are the most dedicated Rarity shippers, which is quite admirable.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

• 1 year later...

If I'm going to be honest, I don't agree with it. Looking back at Equestria Girls where Spike went with Twilight to Canterlot High, Spike was a dog not a human. So he is technically a completely different breed and are just incompatible with each other. But iif they somehow find a way to make it work, good for them I guess :/

• Brohoof 1

Nope, they are a different race, Imagine the same ship in Equestria Girls. Spike hasn't gotten a decent ship, now that I am thinking about it. I knew the  Spike x Sweetie Belle ship, which is because of the one photo from Canterlot Wedding? And some people mentioned the Apple x Spike ship, which is because of "Spike At Your Service." I hadn't heard about that, until now. I don't support it. Sorry.

• Brohoof 1

Spike x Rarity doesn't appeal to me at all, not because of them being different species but because Spike is a child. I don't ship them since an adult in a relationship with a child is and will always be a super creepy concept to me, no matter how fictional the characters are.

This ship is going to die anyway after the Movie. Rarity getsa canon love interest who is AN ADULT cat person. And Movie is getting canon in S8 due to sea pony appearing in the series.

I really don't understand the underage argument. Hypothetically, can't they just get together when Spike gets older?

That said, I don't support the ship because it is inter-species. It's a cute crush, but that's about it.  

Edited by ChB

21 hours ago, Conred said:

This ship is going to die anyway after the Movie. Rarity getsa canon love interest who is AN ADULT cat person. And Movie is getting canon in S8 due to sea pony appearing in the series.

who said Capper would be Rarity's love interest. If Anything, that's Speculation from the fans. Not Confirmation. Besides as we've learned lately with this show, never say never and expect the unexpected.

Now I do support the pairing.  But if and I do emphiaze "IF" the show was to hint at it again or even reference it as a nod to the fanbase. I see it going along the direction of Twilight casting a temporary transformation Spell on Spike (perhaps as a b-day gift) to let him see what it's like to be a pony for at least 24hrs.  Then you have Rarity enter into the picture, see Spike in his pony form, and go from there.  Thus, though this, you at least for one episode give the Sparity supporters what they have been waiting for, and close the book on it for the time being, with the characters acknowledging that perhaps there is something there between them besides friendship.

You want a good example of this, check out the "Family Matters" Episode where Steve temporary became Stephan before changing back, and how Laura fell for him in that form.  Just saying.

Now I know some people have said he would be nothing more than a filly, but what if Twlight was to cast a transformation spell to not only make him into a pony for day, but also the same height and age, that could work and they could the route I suggested in the quote above with Rarity entering the picture and go from there.

On 11.09.2017 at 11:39 AM, bwrosas said:

who said Capper would be Rarity's love interest. If Anything, that's Speculation from the fans. Not Confirmation. Besides as we've learned lately with this show, never say never and expect the unexpected.

We know it from the official book