Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your thoughts on the Spike x Rarity ship?

JonasDarkmane

I've always found their friendship to be endearing and cute, but the relationship often just teased, despite having a lot of depth to make it work. Spike is the one wanting to instigate the relationship while Rarity has no interest, still considering him a close and dear friend. I don't think it'll go anywhere further than that unless something drastic happens in Rarity's love life to where she has no one else to turn to, and based on how many 'potential' suitors she tries to set herself up with I don't think that'll happen anytime soon, unless of course she does turn to Spike and... um... something 'happens'. Then again this is a Y-Rated show, I shouldn't push my luck.

We haven't outside of one or two episodes really had enough time to grasp their relationship properly for my liking. While we've gotten a few interactions and Secret Of My Excess to worry about, I would like to see the show tackle it more as it was formulated in the first episode of the entire show. I also feel their relationship, especially early on even as friends was something that Rarity wasn't taking seriously. Where she'd just disregard, irritate or mock Spike for no reason and I would've liked a way for Spike being able to showcase his feelings more than childish lust and incredible greed (Secret Of My Excess for example). In that case, I've always been in the thought that Spike At Your Service would've been a great episode to explore their relationship in more detail. She said that she'd love to be 'waited on hand and foot' by someone, and having Spike save her life and dedicate to serving her through the Dragon Code would've done that, only for Rarity to further disregard him and honestly treat him like garbage until he spoke up against how 'ungenerous' she's been by treating him as more a slave than a friend or even an assistant (Twilight's case)... leading both to examine how they feel about each other and how their relationship as friends could be repaired, being character progression for Spike, allowing him to become more assertive and resolute, while Rarity understands her actions do have consequences, something we rarely see on-screen. Instead we got Applejack instead, and we know how poor that was...

All in all, RarityXSpike or Sparity is a ship that I like but don't see advancing... unless of course, Spike grows. It's been shown that greed makes him grow... and until he can use the power of friendship to curtail the negative effects of that, it won't happen.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:59 AM, Conred said:

This ship is going to die anyway after the Movie. Rarity getsa canon love interest who is AN ADULT cat person. And Movie is getting canon in S8 due to sea pony appearing in the series.

Actually from what I read Online via google and images search there, it says she makes a new friend for life because of her generisouity , nothing about a love interest in Capper, just a friend for life.

I don't really care for either of them so whatever, even though it seems Rarity is using spike it may be labor such as digging or to get a pretty gem, but I don't think they would be a good pair.

On 13.09.2017 at 6:11 AM, bwrosas said:

Actually from what I read Online via google and images search there, it says she makes a new friend for life because of her generisouity , nothing about a love interest in Capper, just a friend for life.

Rarity blush and is attracted to him as with Blueblood when they meet. If they become "friends for life" and she was initially attracted to him then it's easy to assume that they will start dating.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:01 AM, ChB said:

I really don't understand the underage argument. Hypothetically, can't they just get together when Spike gets older?

That said, I don't support the ship because it is inter-species. It's a cute crush, but that's about it.  

Maybe, but it order for it to be in anyway healthy it needs to be completely independent of the crush he had as a child. 

Have you guys ever read "A Change of Heart" : A Change of Heart ? To me, this shows the best option for the show staff (cause we know they pay attention to the bronies/pegasisters/fanbase) to go in.  Just do it one time, acknowledge it, show there maybe something more, and then go from there with the rest of the season. 

• 4 months later...

Eh, maybe I'm a little late for this post, but I'm gonna answer anyway: I like Sparity as a ship. I think it's very cute and has lots of potentials :smug:.

To be honest, it's not the only spike ship I have; others are:

-TwiSpike

-Spilestia

-Embepike

-Starpike

But I think only the first one is ever gonna count as canon :lol: . That said, my opinion on why Spike had a crush on Rarity is because, according to Faust, he was raised by Celestia before living with Twilight, so I think Rarity is the one that reminded him of his "mom"'s femininity and charm. But that's just my opinion :D 

So, since Spike was hatched by Twilight when she was a filly, and has grown with her up until adulthood, which is where we are now, doesn't that mean spike would be legal by pony standards, or am I missing some sort of dragon lore?

Depends on how old was Twilight, when she entered the school. For me, she wasn't older then or younger then 8-9 years, so in that amount of time, Spike would be pre-teen or young teen when Twilight reaches adult age.

3 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard, Scoffer of Shortbread said:

I think that TBH Sparity could happen but for it to develop into a BF/GF relationship Spike might need to become a pony

Why you say that? Ponies can flirt with Griphons, Changelings and Yaks for how I see it :D

6 hours ago, kimba90 said:

Why you say that? Ponies can flirt with Griphons, Changelings and Yaks for how I see it :D

Flirt is something other then a relationship. ;) I can flirt with somebody, but that is not particular because I want a relationship or something. :twi:

Still no Spike shipping for me with ponies, but Ember would be a great pick. 

Rarity is too old for Spike. I don't like that ship. 

And, I dunno, Dash x Gilda might have been a thing in the past, but I don't really like Gilda enough to support it for the present. 

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Rarity is too old for Spike. I don't like that ship. 

true, currently they couldn't be together because spike is pre-teen or early teen and Rarity is over 16,

mabey follow up on the ship in a few years

8 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard, Scoffer of Shortbread said:

true, currently they couldn't be together because spike is pre-teen or early teen and Rarity is over 16,

mabey follow up on the ship in a few years

It’s not made entirely clear, but Rarity is at least an older teenager, and Spike is repeatedly called a “baby.” Whatever that means, it makes the whole relationship kinda icky.