Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

To you? What is the WORST mlp fanfic of all time?

Brony Man

(edited)

Hands down, Sweet Apple Massacre.

It just tries way too hard to be as disturbing as possible that most of the time I read it I was going "...is this some sort of joke?"

Edited by Angry Cartoon Nerd
  • Brohoof 1

I was half expecting any of the TCB stories or even Anthropology to be muttered here (I like most TCB stories and loved Anthropology).

As per me, I have avoided any fanfics that seemed like they would be lacking any real plot I would be interested in, so I do not have one that I thought of as horrible.

• Brohoof 1

Agreed with most, but no OC x Canon? Most people, including me, don't make them to fulfill a personal desire to be with that character, but to make the character more relatable and easy to grow on as is the regular canon characters.

Well you see, when It's a fanfic it kind of makes sense, as you won't have to create a characterize one or more potential love interests and that makes it easier. But it's an OC and I'd say that it's safe to assume that whatever happens in a fanfiction about them is the canon for them. Generally having an OC, besides a second gen, that has a significant romantic or even non-romantic relationship with a canon character is looked down upon. That's not to say that it can't be done, it's just hard and usually has people who will ignore the fic altogether just because of the presence of a OC x canon pairing. 

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, I really hate it, I just generally cringe away from such things. I'm okay with minor interactions or even writing a fic in the normal episode format, as in Twilight and/or other members of the mane six have to do something that relates to that OC in some way because if you're basically writing your own episode, not a canon one of course, then having some sort of OC makes sense seeing as there may not be a canon character that would make sense to use in the way your planning. 

• Brohoof 2

Well you see, when It's a fanfic it kind of makes sense, as you won't have to create a characterize one or more potential love interests and that makes it easier. But it's an OC and I'd say that it's safe to assume that whatever happens in a fanfiction about them is the canon for them. Generally having an OC, besides a second gen, that has a significant romantic or even non-romantic relationship with a canon character is looked down upon. That's not to say that it can't be done, it's just hard and usually has people who will ignore the fic altogether just because of the presence of a OC x canon pairing.

I'm not going to sugarcoat it, I really hate it, I just generally cringe away from such things. I'm okay with minor interactions or even writing a fic in the normal episode format, as in Twilight and/or other members of the mane six have to do something that relates to that OC in some way because if you're basically writing your own episode, not a canon one of course, then having some sort of OC makes sense seeing as there may not be a canon character that would make sense to use in the way your planning.

Case in point I don't think the commun should look down upon APL cases of this especia ally cases that do no attempt to fulfill a sexual desire with said character. I don't particularly see a problem with it. My problem is with folks that can't accept it. I put people who cannot accept certain Fanfic elements on the same level as anti bronies. I mean my own OC x Canon is basically done because of the vast differences in character. Due to this it makes for funny moments. Who wouldn't want to see a dark sadistic guy and a proper girl have a conversation. You see it is mostly to improve story elements above all else.

(edited)

I don't like My Little Dashie either, but i don't see how it's the absolute worst MLP fanfic of all time.

Especially since this exists:

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

The worst in terms of content, for me, would have to be Sweet Apple Massacre or Trixie's Funhouse. The main characters (Big Macintosh and Trixie) do stuff that is so out of character that it's hard to take seriously and almost comes off as parody.

However, the worst in terms of quality would have to be a now deleted story called But I just, Wait What!!! (sic). The spelling and grammar was really bad, but the story itself is bad as well.

It's about a boy named Jack, who likes harps, heavy metal and Johnny Cash. He gets along with a friend named Bruce. Jack is trying to protect him, but gets a shoe thrown at him. He is then shot with a shotgun. Somehow, he wakes up in a cage and spots Queen Chrysalis. The cage is 15 feet tall, and Jack manages to climb 14 feet, but falls at the last hurdle back in the cage (or maybe he got out, it's not made very clear). He then walks to the exit.

This story got deleted after me and a friend criticised it, but not before we kept it.

Just about anything pony/horror related in my opinion is AWFUL, but in my opinion, Cupcakes takes the cake. (Pun intended.) it's just a gore fic that's pretty lame honestly. The only reason it's so popular was because it was the first in a string of crappy mlp horror fanfictions.

I also read this really bad "Psychological horror" fic that delt with the subject of witchcraft. Can't remember what it was called but as a (rookie) practitioner of magick I was cringing at all the "witchcraft" that was preformed. I'd go into detail, but that would take a half hour at best. :P

Since I can't quote, I'll just refer this to ShadeRover:

I once a read a 100 word fanfic involving the CMC and Diamond Tiara. Diamond Tiara was mocking them, then said she was a lesbian and left....

I'm sure you can't top that.

(edited)

My Little Unicorn.

The creator actually claims to hate MLP:FIM, yet he constantly steals from it and adds flat/straw characters and elements.

Worse, he even turns official characters and elements into flat/straw versions of themselves.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

No specific fic, but almost every Vinyl x Octavia fic I've suffered through was just... so sad. And it's not even like they were badly written-- there were a lot of talented authors-- it's just that they were all identical. I could chop them all up and stick them together and it'd all be the same story. It's really disheartening.

As an editor, I've seen some poorly written pieces. I once had a person send me a page-long mass of grammatical errors and zero plot (something about Rainbow Dash, I think) and ask how s/he could make it to the front page of FiMFiction. Those are bad in a "Please don't make me edit this" sort of way.

As far as established stories I would have to go with anything that throws a character horribly, well, out-of-character. Cupcakes is a good example, though murderous sad Pinkie Pie has since become a regular(ish) thing. Sweet Apple Massacre, Cheerilee's Garden, all those types: bad for being bad to the characters.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really mind about gore, but I like it to have a premise.

I mean all the whole "I'm going to torture and kill you just because", doesn't really work for me :P

As for the worst fanfic... 

There's one horrifying with scootabuse, I can't recall the name right now. It's one where everypony in Ponyville hates her '-' 

And trollfics, there are awful trollfics around the web :P

Worst? That's a hard one, there are a lot of really bad ones out there. Sweet Apple Massacre just doesn't take the title for me because it's a poorly written shock story. It doesn't even do what it tried to do well and I think that takes off "awful" points. I'm just waiting for the day where the MLP equivalent of my immortal comes along.

That said, cupcakes is one of the only MLP fanfics I've actually enjoyed.

(edited)

Wait, I just remembered, there is a horrible, horrible fic '-'

Probably the worst thing I've ever read in my life.

But it's in portuguese and I don't know if someone was brave enough to translate it...

I don't know if any of you are aware of this, but we have our "stain" in the BR fandom... The less we talk about him the better.

Anyway, he's the one that wrote this fic.

I'll see if there are any translations.

Edit: didn't find any translations, but found this instead: https://kiwifar.ms/threads/fabiano-honorato.3481/

Now you can somewhat picture how the MLP fanfic goes '-'

Edited by Kyabetsuko
  • Brohoof 1

I'm all for apocalypse stories, as long as the apocalypse is diverse and original. Not just come in and kill everything in sight for no reason.

Worst types of fanfics? Boring plots (my definition of boring plots is extremely lacking action. The exception that its a Slice of Life.), poorly written characters (such as Pinkie Pie declining a party invitation from one of the Mane 6 for a stupid reason. Pinkie Pie would love to go!),  and an extremely expected ending (Such as a Cutie Mark stealing plot in which Starlight Glimmer is responsible.)

Seeing all the hate on Cheerilee's Garden makes me so sad.. It was so good!

Though I have to agree about Sweet Apple Massacre. I love gore/dark stuff, but that was sick. Pedophilia/Necrophilia is not for me..
My Little Dashie was pretty lame too, the mini movie was eh but I laughed through the "serious feelsy" parts because it was a grown man and a RAINBOW COLORED CARTOON HORSE.

If I found RD in a box like that though, i'd do the saaaame thing.

• Brohoof 1

I realize that the horror issue has been touched before on this topic, but I honestly can't stand it. I am just not a big fan of horror/gore (FNAF, Fallout, and several zombie stories being the only exceptions). I don't necessarily hate it, and I don't wish to offend anyone who likes horror/gore. I just don't share that interest. That being said, I have read more than one horror MLP fanfics, mostly to calm my curiosity after hearing about them non-stop.

If you didn't guess, I did not like them. But the one I can't help but title as the worst I've read is Cupcakes. This fanfic killed a bit of fondness I held for Pinkie Pie. I know I'm being a drama queen, but it was the first horror MLP fanfic I read, and I was practically a kid when I read it.

I just want to get this out of the way, so nobody gets the wrong idea. It wasn't necessarily poorly-written, or a bad story. And I've only read maybe more than a dozen MLP fanfics total, so I hardly have room to make a fair judgment on what is bad or good.

I just did not like Cupcakes.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I know this was posted already, but this is the first video I ever saw of this fanfic, and I can't watch this video and keep a straight face.

Edited by SBaby