Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

To you? What is the WORST mlp fanfic of all time?

Brony Man

Updating to my last post, is overly gory.

While I've never read fanfics like Cheerlie's Garden, it does raise a question: How gory is too gory?

You can be gory, but every tiny detail about being ripped to shreds or being impaled isn't necessary. Some details are fine, but when you include all the gore possible, it just gets disgusting.

(edited)

Updating to my last post, is overly gory.

While I've never read fanfics like Cheerlie's Garden, it does raise a question: How gory is too gory?

You can be gory, but every tiny detail about being ripped to shreds or being impaled isn't necessary. Some details are fine, but when you include all the gore possible, it just gets disgusting.

I think the authors of those kinds of stories are the same kind of person who plays game like Dead Space. I mean, this IS the internet -- for every person that is initially disgusted, there is a person who is at least mildly curious.

Edited by Kolth

Any human in Equestria story.

Mostly because they all feel like the same thing. Some self insert gets teleported into Equestria, sometimes as a pony and makes friends with the mane six, who one of them (mostly likely the waifu of the author) ends up getting together with said human in Equestria. It also doesn't help that since it's the author writing themselves into the fanfic, that character is usually used as some sort of mouth piece or is just really bland.

Also, I'm getting sick of all the Sonic crossovers with MLP since they're freaking everywhere.

Other than that. My Little Dashie. This literally feels like it would've been better if it was a comedy and not a sad fic. It tries way too hard to be sappy.

(Note, I more don't like Cupcakes for the impact it caused on the fandom rather than the story itself).

• Brohoof 4

Any human in Equestria story.   Mostly because they all feel like the same thing. Some self insert gets teleported into Equestria, sometimes as a pony and makes friends with the mane six, who one of them (mostly likely the waifu of the author) ends up getting together with said human in Equestria. It also doesn't help that since it's the author writing themselves into the fanfic, that character is usually used as some sort of mouth piece or is just really bland.

This, as well. HiE stories are quite often blatant self-inserts, and I would hazard a guess that a fair portion of them have a "Romance" tag for the OC-protagonist getting together with muh waifu. I mean, I don't mind a good HiE story where the protagonist gets together with a character -- it just needs to have a logical progression, like a real relationship. I just finished a short story where the character met Sunset Shimmer during his first day at Canterlot High School, was in love with her by day three, and they were a hardcore lovey-dovey couple by, like, day six. That's ridiculous.

• Brohoof 4

This, as well. HiE stories are quite often blatant self-inserts, and I would hazard a guess that a fair portion of them have a "Romance" tag for the OC-protagonist getting together with muh waifu. I mean, I don't mind a good HiE story where the protagonist gets together with a character -- it just needs to have a logical progression, like a real relationship. I just finished a short story where the character met Sunset Shimmer during his first day at Canterlot High School, was in love with her by day three, and they were a hardcore lovey-dovey couple by, like, day six. That's ridiculous.

I mean, I'm not against shipping the main character with an OC who may have self insert tendencies since I've done that before but at least give the self insert more character than just yourself.

Out of all the characters that seem to be paired up with self inserts the most, I think I've seen it the most with Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

As I said before, I've read a fanfic in which Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are talking to the CMC. Diamond Tiara mocks them and then says something along the lines of this:

Diamond Tiara: GUESS WHAT?!?!

Scootaloo: What?

Diamond Tiara: I'M A LESBIAN!!!

DT and SS then simply leave. That's it. And it was in chat form, mind you. And SS said literally nothing.

• Brohoof 2

Okay, I'm not sure if this fanfic is bad or not, seeing as I just glanced over it, but I found this horror fanfic titled, "The Cough." Sounds more like a parody of horror fanfics. I just read the beginning where it said, "In the darkness, somepony coughed."

Needless to say, I busted out laughing at that.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I second the whole "Human In Equestria" lists, they're almost always shallow self-inserts where they hitch with their favorite characters...

That said, "Pony on Earth" stories tend to be much worse and creepier, as they usually involve some loser as the main character who meets human versions of one of the ponies(usually nude), and will most-likely involve boob-grabbing.

Edited by Green Biker Dude
  • Brohoof 2

Cupcakes and Sweet Apple Massacre take the cake for me. I understand MLP can be taken into a different direction than what it was intended, but the torture scenes were written so detailed that it made me sick to my stomach. Also, anything involving humans coming to Equestria or vice versa. The only one I've ever liked involving this is Anthropology.

• Brohoof 1

Now that I think about it, I did read Cupcakes.

I found it boring about midway, so skipped to the end to learn of how Pinkie finished off Dash in the gruesome and way too detailed beheading.

Pinkie is just so out of character. My opinion for the episode representing the best is A Friend In Deed. Watching it over, it's very clear that Pinkie would never torture or kill one of her best friends. Not even in Party of One is Pinkie depicted in such a way. She was just sad that her friends were avoiding her, and got pretty insane as she descended more and more into sadness that they seemed to not want to come to the party.

Cupcakes gave the entire fandom the wrong picture concerning scenes where Pinkie' s mane is straight, such as Too Many Pinkie Pies. It's probably my least favorite fanfic for its false impact, out if character depictions and gore that just runs off the deep end.

(edited)

I don't read fanfics too often and don't want to put any writers on the spot, but I don't care for stories with humans in Equestria.  

Edited by Quartz Aegis

(edited)

I don't read fanfics too often and don't want to put any writers on the spot, but I don't care for stories with humans in Equestria.  

I never really understood the whole aversion to 'Human in Equestria' or 'Ponies on Earth' Fics.  I think it's more of an anti-G1 thing, but it seems like ever since Equestria Girls, about half the fanbase is pretty much dead against this concept.

The fact is, this kind of Fic can work, if it's written properly (and for that matter, it has worked).  There are ways to have a Human in Equestria Fic, where it's not just a self-insert.  For instance, one of my earlier Fics was anything BUT a self-insert, as it would have been physically impossible for the character in question to even be remotely like me.  And for the few chapters I did post (before my freaking hard drive got ransomware on it), people thought it was actually pretty creative.  Point is, it can be done, and it's not nearly as cliche as some of the other kinds of Fics I've read (such as the 'Sad Fic', which is really overdone).

But I will agree on one point that was made here though.  I don't understand why the 'Human' character has to have a romantic relationship with one of the Ponies.  You can have a HiE Fic, and not have a romance, and it can still work.  In my Fic in question, the main character never had a romance with any of the other Ponies (and he was turned into a Pony when he arrived on their planet; the more I talk about this, the more I feel like re-writing the Fic again, because I hadn't even gotten to the meat of the story yet).

I think the biggest mistake people make with HiE Fics though, is they forget that the 'Human' character knows absolutely nothing about the Pony world, beyond what they've seen up to the point the Fic is at.  So regardless of what the 'Human' knows or can do, they will need constant guidance while they're in Equestria (at least for a good while).  For instance, the 'Human' is used to walking on two legs, right?  Well, now that they're a Pony, they suddenly walk on all fours, and have no fingers or toes.  Definitely not something they'll learn right away.  And say they're a Pegasus.  Well, then they have to learn how to fly too.  That's another thing.  Many people that write HiE Fics don't think about these things, and they're critical to these kinds of stories.

But yeah, there are far worse subjects that a Pony Fic could cover.  For instance, there are Fics I've read that are not only terrible, but some are so inappropriate that I couldn't even talk about them here.  And trust me when I say, you wouldn't WANT me talking about them here, because some of them would cause you to never look at FiM the same way again.

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

Do youment worse as it smething with horrible, and I mean horrid spelling and grammar(authors who KNOW how to spell and aren't autistic or whatnot, those guys are lesat try to not mess up) Stories that are so forced and OC heavy (an example say..oh OC married tiwlight to *Cenored* you get the pitucure)

Oh and seeh ow bad a fic can be check out this lets read, these guys are funny

Edited by BlinkZ

Hello ,

Your topic seems to be geared towards the Bronydom and its content. As such, it has been moved to Sugarcube Corner.

The worst fanfics are the ones with violence and gore in them, they are horrible fanfics. I hate violence and gore.

Unnecessary gore and shock factor in a cute, peaceful pony world is what ruins it. Id pick peaceful stories over the horrible murder stuff anyday. Plus, my little pony was meant to make people feel good, not bad. :(

Pony.mov looks like a remake of grim adventures of billy and mandy. It sucks, the animation looks shit, and its the same damn stories done over and over. Id prefer real my little pony over that garbage.

• Brohoof 2

I mean, I'm not against shipping the main character with an OC who may have self insert tendencies since I've done that before but at least give the self insert more character than just yourself.

Out of all the characters that seem to be paired up with self inserts the most, I think I've seen it the most with Twilight.

That explains this pic I found in Flash Sentry's fan club

img-3241650-1-56089089.jpg

Gotta give it to the guy, pure genious with the meme :lol: 

Regardless, most of the common badfics, namely with marysuich characters, HiE unless they're actually interesting, children in Equestria if they're overly sappy, suich, source of constant Da'ww, gore for the sake of it, sexual crimes, etc, I intend to avoid completely, though, I got the missfortune to fall victim of some:

1-One has many entries, is about a boy ending in Equestria and being adopted by Flutters, it was well and dandy until the third release, where the main character became overly marisuich, Da'www source, etc, I didn't finished it

2-There's yet another marysuich boy who ends in Equestria, where he becomes the seventh element of harmony  >_>

3-I liked My Little Dashie, but objectively speaking, it's kinda overly sappy  :dash:

• Brohoof 1

Slice of Life... Oh wait, that isn't a fanfic. Yikes. D:

Seriously, though... I think the only one I ever read was that really popular one where the person runs into a baby Rainbow Dash. I've forgotten the name already. xD I wouldn't call it the 'worst', it didn't leave that kind of impression on me. The worst ones would go to those who are completely and totally uncharacteristic to the series, like those that introduce violence, sex, etc.

• Brohoof 2

I don't like My Little Dashie either, but i don't see how it's the absolute worst MLP fanfic of all time.

Especially since this exists:

Oh em gee xD WHY IS THIS A THING

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

My Little Dashie is a story that often gets insane amounts of praise, but in reality those who praise it I theorize are people who are ignoring jarring flaws, such as huge gaping plotholes, cringe-worthy "forced" sad moments and an unrelatable narrator who is more or less the source of his own problems. I mean if you really think about it, he spends his whole life sheltering a cartoon horse that he imprisons in his home under the guise of "safety" and forces her to call him daddy. During this time he does nothing to fix his unending loneliness or inability to make friends. He never goes out to meet new people ever, then suddenly a good decade or so later we're supposed to feel sorry because the one thing he has is taken from him (almost for no real reason and with an explanation that makes little sense). How can I feel sorry for a man who did nothing to fix his situation in life, and instead invested himself emotionally, physically, financially and completely in a cartoon horse instead of trying to advance his life at the same time?

Yet the story gets insane amounts of praise. I used to have a youtube video criticizing the mini-movie, but it's been long since taken down due to people unable to view things with an  objective eye flagging it until Youtube took it down.

Cupcakes for me is by far the worst. My Little Dashie was cheesy as all hell, but it didn't trigger a kneejerk 'kill it with fire' reaction like Cupcakes did. Rainbow Factory, while full of horrible stuff, was actually pretty well written IMO, and I can see the premise of it being an urban legend within Equestria.

Having said this, I must admit I haven't even read some fics I came across because I knew from the description alone they would suck, so it's very possible some of those are far worse than cupcakes.