Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Is Duchess Diamond Waves an alicorn?

melody5697

Ugh, I'm just gonna leave this conversation. I think it's possible that Duchess Diamond Waves is an alicorn but you all insist it's impossible and you clearly think I'm a total idiot even though I'm very gifted. In fact, I'm probably now thought of as an idiot on here, so perhaps I should never come back.

No, don't leave. Nobody here thinks you're an idiot.

People in this topic are arguing over whether a unicorn is a unicorn.  I don't think any of you care nearly as much as you pretend to.

Actually I'm just bored. You didn't think that I'm here for the intellectual discussion, did you?

• Brohoof 1

Ugh, I'm just gonna leave this conversation. I think it's possible that Duchess Diamond Waves is an alicorn but you all insist it's impossible and you clearly think I'm a total idiot even though I'm very gifted. In fact, I'm probably now thought of as an idiot on here, so perhaps I should never come back.

I think this argument (however facetiously or seriously any are involved) is ridiculous, but I don't think you an idiot.  Go post in some less contentious topics and try and make some friends.  Or at least some people with which to commiserate.

• Brohoof 1

I think this argument (however facetiously or seriously any are involved) is ridiculous, but I don't think you an idiot.  Go post in some less contentious topics and try and make some friends.  Or at least some people with which to commiserate.

I really don't care about making more friends. I have six friends (all of whom I know in real life) and that's enough for me. I just come on here when I have something MLP-related I feel like discussing. I shouldn't have started this topic.

I really don't care about making more friends. I have six friends (all of whom I know in real life) and that's enough for me. I just come on here when I have something MLP-related I feel like discussing. I shouldn't have started this topic.

It isn't necessarily your fault things went as they did.  Broners are some of the arguing-est people.  One arguer admitted they were simply bored, and the other went out of their way to say they didn't think you were an idiot.  You're gonna be disagreed with on MLP Forums.  You might find you're better off clinging to this or that fan club; particularly at first.  Though, if you don't care for these forums and have better things to do (I think most of us have), there's no reason you should linger where you've no desire to be.

• Brohoof 1

It isn't necessarily your fault things went as they did.  Broners are some of the arguing-est people.  One arguer admitted they were simply bored, and the other went out of their way to say they didn't think you were an idiot.  You're gonna be disagreed with on MLP Forums.  You might find you're better off clinging to this or that fan club; particularly at first.  Though, if you don't care for these forums and have better things to do (I think most of us have), there's no reason you should linger where you've no desire to be.

Oh, so THAT'S why my sister dislikes bronies so much she left the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, so THAT'S why my sister dislikes bronies so much she left the fandom.

I'm sure there are more reasons besides. x )  I both left it and stayed.  I watch and enjoy the show, and I love Rainbow Dash.  And obviously I poke around the forums.  But I don't love the fandom overmuch.

I'm sure there are more reasons besides. x )  I both left it and stayed.  I watch and enjoy the show, and I love Rainbow Dash.  And obviously I poke around the forums.  But I don't love the fandom overmuch.

She said most bronies are rude. But she doesn't really understand people very well. She has high-functioning autism.

She said most bronies are rude. But she doesn't really understand people very well. She has high-functioning autism.

That doesn't make her wrong; though everyone has different experiences with the fandom.  It has its champions.  And I've known at least a couple of people with high-functioning autism that were generally more on-the-ball than a lot of people without it can be.

• Brohoof 1

With all due respect, I think you guys were a little rough on the kid (assuming you're a kid from a few of your more recent posts; Pardon me if I'm wrong). Now, I don't think she's an alicorn either, but it's a fair point to raise and maybe not quite as cut and dry as some of you present it.

About tallness, the comics have showed us a unicorn ruler of the Crystal Empire who had that body type (but no wings).

Personally, I saw the duchess's mane thing as maybe being a step to further demystify Celestia and Luna (the fandom treats them as gods, even though going by the evidence, I'd have to say they're probably not. Heck, I found a Lauren Faust quote where she was asked outright and she said she didn't see them as being gods (just exceptionally magical and stuff).

But it's true that alicorns used to be called unicorns in the show. In A Canterlot Wedding, Twilight refers to Cadence as one (going off of memory, so the quotes might not be exact, but I've got the gist of 'em down) "How many unicorns can spread love wherever they go? I only know of one, and you're marrying her!' and "You're a princess, and I'm just a regular old unicorn"

...And in Magic Duel - The first time in the show that the word "alicorn" appeared - Trixie was able to use the alicorn amulet to do a spell that was apparently reserved for "only the highest level unicorns".

Then there's the matter of relatives. Blueblood, Celestia's nephew (actually great-great-great-great nephew, as explained by Faust) resembles her physically (at least as far as coat color goes) but is a unicorn. Apparently Faust designed Cadence (Celestia's niece) as a unicorn, and she was made an alicorn without Faust's knowledge.

From all of this, I reckon alicorns being their own separate thing is a retcon and that originally Celestia and Luna were classed as unicorns.

• Brohoof 4

• 4 years later...