Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

College vs High School?

Gone Airbourne

For those of you who are attending College what do you prefer better? College or High School? I would by far have to say that College is so much better than High School. You get to actually choose your schedule and everything. There has been much less drama in College for me than when I remember back of my years in High School. So what is it for you all? Did you like High School better or College?  

• Brohoof 1

College is one million times better than high school. All of what you mentioned is true, and while there is still some *social group* to sit with at meals sometimes, it doesn't matter since drama isn't really an issue

• Brohoof 2

I don't know the difference D:. Here in Iceland, I think High School and College are one and same together D:. We call it Menntaskóli (Direct/literal translation being Educationschool). 

• Brohoof 3

I don't know the difference D:. Here in Iceland, I think High School and College are one and same together D:. We call it Menntaskóli (Direct/literal translation being Educationschool). 

I've always wondered what college as like in the other countries and dude that is cool I didn't know you were from Iceland *hugs*

I've always wondered what college as like in the other countries and dude that is cool I didn't know you were from Iceland *hugs*

Well, now you do, now you know I come from the cold lands of the North (Viking Horse) and one of the hardest and strangest languages in the world (part of top 10) *Hugs*. Our education system is a bit different, I've noticed. 

• Brohoof 1

I actually enjoyed high school somewhat, but College is just flat out better for myriad reasons.  There's more control over your life.  (This can be a double edged sword if you're not prepared for it)  There's more freedom to study what interests you (although you should probably be mindful that you're going to have to parlay that degree into a job).  There's nowhere near the cliquishness of high school. Depending on where you attend you could go from a high school of thousands to a small college where everyone knows almost everyone or you could go from a high school of just hundreds to a college where there are multiple thousands of students which means you're more of a face in the crowd.

You're still "safe" in the arms of academia, but the workload is both harder and more fulfilling than high school.  There's so much more opportunity to grow as a person and find out who you are.  I also recommend if you can manage it to study abroad for a semester.  It's likely the cheapest you'll ever be able to travel and live elsewhere and I had such a great experience with my study abroad semester.  (Wow it's been almost six years since then).

But yes.  I can tell you that absolutely and unequivocally college is better than high school.

• Brohoof 1

I prefer college over high school. That's because college is not as strict as high school.

I know for real though looking back at my High School years. You had to go Mon- Friday with a set schedule you had no choice over. In College it's not like that and you have much more freedom. Hell you don't even have to ask to go use the bathroom as for my case when I was in high school you had to raise your hand to get permission to  use the bathroom... I mean what's up with that?

• Brohoof 1

College.

Why?  Because people aren't absolute arseholes in college.  Also I don't have to deal with teachers calling me "stupid" and "psycho" in college.

Hell yeah I hear you on that. Btw I love your username and avatar ;). People in college are generally pretty chill and easy going. In high school I always remember have so much damn drama everywhere ughh.

• Brohoof 1

College is better because of less immature jackasses who don't give a damn about learning or doing anything productive with their lives. Less bullies, more options and much much more flexible with scheduling. They also go more into depth on certain subjects and the subjects don't tend to be watered down anywhere near as much.

I prefer college over high school. That's because college is not as strict as high school.

On certain matters yes, but they also expect more of you which is actually a good thing as tons of people graduate high school while barely knowing anything about anything that actually matters. That can also vary quite a bit between professors, sure they won't give you "detention" or anything but there are some that are a bit anal about certain things and some that are pretty chill, it all depends.

• Brohoof 1

.  Also I don't have to deal with teachers calling me "stupid" and "psycho" in college.

Well that's unprofessional and uncalled for.  A teacher's job is to educate students, and things like that are not only uncivil but also directly against what they are hired to do in the first place.

• Brohoof 2

Well that's unprofessional and uncalled for.  A teacher's job is to educate students, and things like that are not only uncivil but also directly against what they are hired to do in the first place.

At my high school the principal would give misbehaving students "The Klopke Claw" in which he would pick them up by the neck and slam them into the lockers (not hard enough to hurt them) to prevent further misbehavior.  So yeah, I can probably blame him for all of the horrible teachers.

Mr. Klopke was a grumpy middle-aged man that, when I was younger, intimidated the heck out of me.

I saw him in our local store last year and it seems like he's mellowed out a lot now that he's retired, which is good.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

At my high school the principal would give misbehaving students "The Klopke Claw" in which he would pick them up by the neck and slam them into the lockers (not hard enough to hurt them) to prevent further misbehavior.  So yeah, I can probably blame him for all of the horrible teachers.

Mr. Klopke was a grumpy middle-aged man that, when I was younger, intimidated the heck out of me.

I saw him in our local store last year and it seems like he's mellowed out a lot now that he's retired, which is good.

Well, while I fault him for excessive force in discipline, it seems like he didn't like his job.  Either that or he used to like his job, but got jaded over the years.  I've always felt a bit of sympathy for people like that who miss their calling or lose the love for their career.  That's still no excuse, but it's cause for pity not hate.

Edited by Midnight Justice
  • Brohoof 1

Well, while I fault him for excessive force in discipline, it seems like he didn't like his job.  Either that or he used to like his job, but got jaded over the years.  I've always felt a bit of sympathy for people like that who miss their calling or lose the love for their career.  That's still no excuse, but it's cause for pity not hate.

I don't hate him for what he did (I used to but not anymore).  He's a pretty nice dude when he isn't dealing with rambunctious kids :lol:

As stressful as it can be, College destroys high school. I had more fun in my first year of college than every year in High School, Middle School, and Elementary School combined

• Brohoof 1

College. Despite the tons of work. It is SOOOO much better. Nobody is an asshole. It's less stressful(most of the time). Everyone acts like their age. Nobody is jumping around or trying to start shit. Just...it's amazing! Love college.

• Brohoof 1

As stressful as it can be, College destroys high school. I had more fun in my first year of college than every year in High School, Middle School, and Elementary School combined

It really does I look back at my High School days and be like whoa how did i go Mon- Friday @ 7am-3pm the entire week and that's without sports and shit. In college my schedule I can make it however I want it and I just love that. 

For those of you who are in college, how many classes do you typically take each term? How did you arrange your schedule?

Usually between 3-4 classes usually just enough too keep me busy though. I've learned to just take enough classes to not overload myself. I usually try to just take things at my own pace so I can finish within' my timeframe even if it takes a little longer.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Usually between 3-4 classes usually just enough too keep me busy though. I've learned to just take enough classes to not overload myself. I usually try to just take things at my own pace so I can finish within' my timeframe even if it takes a little longer.

That's the mindset that I've had up to this point.

When I was at community college I was taking 14-15 credit hours per semester. That's four classes and a lab. It was stressful, but I managed to do it and maintain a GPA of around 3.7. Now that I am at university, I find the workload more stressful, so I'm really only comfortable taking three classes. I have a low stress tolerance and I'm in engineering, which is notorious for requiring a lot of time and dedication. I think three classes is more than enough for me, but that's only 9 credit hours, and I need 12 to be full time.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but now that I'm 21 years old I have to be a full-time student in order to be covered under my parent's insurance. So, taking three classes doesn't cut it anymore, and I'm really, really nervous about taking four. Since I've been at uni, I've already a hard time maintaining a GPA of around 2.5 in my core curriculum classes (the important ones). I'm sure I could do it if I really exerted myself... but I'm sure I could live if I got punched in the face, too.

I prefer to take three classes in the spring and fall, then take two over the summer as I'm doing now. Having been at uni for five semesters now, I think that's the perfect balance, and that pace still has me graduating in a reasonable timeframe. Unfortunately the whole world seems against me here, and I feel very pressured to pick up the pace. I don't know what to do...

So, to steer this back on topic, one thing I like about college is the freedom to work at my own pace. But that freedom to work at your own pace doesn't exist in my case anymore, and I am not at all happy with that. So, in many ways I almost wish I could just go back to sitting in class from 7am-3pm, doing an hour of homework, and calling it a day.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

I can't see anyone who would prefer high school over college, unless they some kind of high school big shot like out of a teen sitcom. My experience in college was a little different (I only went to a four year school for a year and finished at a tech school), but it still beat the hell out of high school.  All of the moronic pointless rules that are forced upon you in high school are gone, and you start to get a taste of independence, although that goes with added responsibility.