247 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

I hated this episode. It's a Spike episode, so I knew going in it wouldn't be any good. This episode just felt contrived, from Spike getting interrupted at the beginning to everypony going to Twilight for help. Did they forget that there are three other princesses that could have helped them? With this episode, it's clear to me that the writers see Spike as nothing more than a character who can't do anything right and is simply there to screw everything up. What irritates me further is that once again Spike is portrayed as being an idiot. Don't want a bird's singing to disturb your sleeping friend? Close the window. Don't want anypony disturbing your friend while she's trying to get some rest? Lock the door. Also, don't let anypony disrespect or talk down to you. Stand up to them and they'll back off.

Edited by smitty121325
  • Brohoof 3

Just one, I just want one episode featuring Spike that either doesn't involve him messing everything up or just doesn't have him suddenly becoming so incompetent. And how hard would it have been for Spike to just tell everyone from the get-go that Twilight's busy and shouldn't be disturbed? Or to invest in some earplugs? 

It's episodes like this that prove Spike is better in a supporting roll, like in Lesson Zero where he was the Only Sane Man to Twilight's increasing insanity and actually showed some initiative and intelligence. Princess Cadence filled that role instead here and I'm willing to give Celestia and Luna a minor pass for not showing up outside of the opening because as far as we know not only did Twilight ask them to let her handle the entire summit, but they may have been more than a little preoccupied at the time. It's not their fault that their subjects are useless and can't solve even the simplest of problems without running to mommy.

That doesn't even get into all the contrived things like the Dragon Sneeze Trees (which why would those exist and why would they be there in the first place?) And, just like before, despite all the chaos caused, Spike just apologizes and everything is fixed and hunky-dory.

I'm sorry if I'm being such a negative nancy here, but this is far from a good episode. It wasn't even that enjoyable to me, which makes it even worse.  

• Brohoof 10

I think the veteran writers of MLP are slowly losing touch to the main plot of the show. MLP is still great, but after the latest episode, I'm having an uneasy feeling that they're starting to lose their touch...  :confused:

But this one was done by a new writer, though he wrote the story from what Jayson Thiessen and Jim Miller pitched for.

• Brohoof 2

They had a alright arc for him going with him trying to find his place in pony society and trying to balance that with his dragon-ness, but they don't seem that intrested in that anymore.

I don't believe that. They had a good streak of episodes going before this one. It's just that they need to figure out what to do with Spike.

That, and the ending where all the ponies had figured out how to put the crystal pony statue together. I was like "How?! How did the ponies remembered or knew how to put the pieces back together?!".

I think the veteran writers of MLP are slowly losing touch to the main plot of the show. MLP is still great, but after the latest episode, I'm having an uneasy feeling that they're starting to lose their touch...  :confused:

To the episode's defense is was written by one of the new writes for this season, and the idea was only submitted by I think the directors.

Still doesn't make the episode any better though.

• Brohoof 2

A dragon living among ponies who doesn't know his place in the world and his personal journey to find out what the heck it is that he's supposed to do in his life. I feel like that could go places. But you're right. They were doing something like that and it could have been a pretty good sub-story. But they just don't seem overly interested in Spike's overall character and that makes us bored with Spike's overall character as well. 

loved Spike in Lesson Zero. 

• Brohoof 7

This episode had more negative sides than positive ones.

First off, I felt like Spike did way too much for Twilight.

She just needed a little bit of sleep, and I felt he forced his choices of trying to silence off the activities in Canterlot when he could of just closed up the windows to reduce the noise.

And I think if he would had done that, the problems would had been less present, so in the end it could had resulted in a better outcome of the situation.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't totally thinks it completely was his fault.

As for the positive points:

The humour was alright at times, and the end kinda saved it.

Pace-wise, it was excellent, nothing more to say about that.

TL;DR, Meh episode, not the best Spike episode IMO (The best one being Inspiration Manifestion)

7.5/10

Episodes preference ranking:

1-A tie between Make Friends But Keep Discord and Bloom And Gloom

2-The Lost Treasure Of Griffinstone

3-The Cutie Map

4-Slice Of Life

5-Tanks For The Memories

6-Princess Spike

7-Apploosa Most Wanted

8-Castle Sweet Castle

You know, with these episodes, it becomes a selffullfilling prophecy for myself. I see Spike episode and i think "not this shit again." Then the episode comes and it's exactly like i expected.

Seriously, this is the second episode this season (Appleloosas most wanted being the first) where i was dissapointed with the episode. This was a bit better then most wanted though, because i liked Twilights adorkable antics.

• Brohoof 6

7/10. Overall had some good scenes, some of the humor with tired Twilight was great, Fancy Pants is awesome, Cadance had some cool moments ... dontcha know!

Some things still bugged me. Seemed dull at times. Spike having fears of being marginalized was not addressed well.

• Brohoof 2

To the episode's defense is was written by one of the new writes for this season, and the idea was only submitted by I think the directors.

Still doesn't make the episode any better though.

The new writers could've done better like the veterans would. Otherwise, if the veteran writers are starting to jump ship, then this is surely a first sign of MLP losing touch of the main plot.

This episode really struck a nerve for me. Spike's relationship with Twilight was clearly the one thing he truly treasured above all else in his life, and so the notion that he would actually exploit his connection with her for his own selfish gain is just incomprehensible to me. 

These types of Spike episodes are just getting old. Would it really kill the writers to stop portraying him as an excessively selfish idiot? Why is it that only McCarthy actually does his character justice? Good God.... :baconmane:

On the bright side, at least Celestia finally managed to make an appearance that was not degrading or demeaning in any way. 

• Brohoof 6

Well that was a thing. I'm still not quite sure what the moral was supposed to be. 

Cadence did give Spike pretty pretty vague orders.

As Sun Tzu once said:

“If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, then the general  is to blame. But, if orders are clear and the soldiers nevertheless disobey, then it is the fault of their officers.”

So this is kinda Cadences bad. And what the hell else was Spike supposed to do? He did the best he could as Twi's proxy. The power trip didn't really affect anything, it was all the decisions Spike had to make on the fly based on Cadences orders that bucked things up. 

You'd think such an important would have contingency plans in the event a princess could not help set things up. 

So for the most part, Spike did the best he could. 

And isn't he only a baby dragon? The second gala of the series happened, meaning one year has past since the end of S1. So Spike is only a little over a year older. That's not really much of a difference, even for a dragon. Who the hell puts a kid in charge? What else would you expect to happen?

So now that my gripe is stated. Let's get to a few other things.

-Mime ponies are a thing. Someone get started on the fanfiction.

-Pretty sure Fleur De Lis has a sister.

-A griffon (and a tiger one at that) put in a gem. Either the Griffon Kingdom is a nation state like the Crystal Empire, or Equestria has it's own Griffon enclave. 

-I'm starting to get the purpose of Dragon Sneeze Trees. They were probably put in as a defense mechanism against dragon raids during the olden days. Now with demigods protecting the city, they're now a redundant public nuisance. 

-Crystal magic is pretty damn cool. 

Overall a funny episode. I was expecting a rehash of Just For Sidekicks, but thankfully got something a little different.  Not the best Spike episode, but not the worst either. 

Unfortunately this will probably be the last episode I get to review live. Back to working Saturdays next week.  :eww:

• Brohoof 3

The tradgedy is that there's a good episode in there somewhere. I like the idea of Twilight being decommissioned for some reason, leaving Spike to pick up the reigns of whatever she was organizing and make sure it doesn't go to crap, at least for the few hours she isn't around.

But nope.

• Brohoof 5

I mean, forgive me for being overly negative or critical, but I just wasn't too impressed. It just felt more Plain Jane than Owl's Well That Ends Well. 

• Brohoof 1

My big criticism of the episode is that all of the really bad things that happened were consequences of Spike actually doing his job, while the times where he was actually abusing his position did not end up causing any problems. For example, the biggest problem was the water main bursting and flooding the hall. This happened because he wanted Twilight to get some rest, exactly like Cadance asked him. The "abusive things" he did (Getting a free massage and some cupcakes) ended up not even mattering at all in the end.

It seems like Spike had no "right" choice in this episode: either he does his job right and ends up causing a flood, or he ignores the responsibility Cadance gave him and Twilight ends up not getting enough sleep to do her speech.

You need an award or something. Seriously, you just nailed the biggest issue with this episode and exactly what I was thinking. This was the first episode this season that I didn't feel great about or at least a tiny bit good. I didn't hate it but I have gotten fed up with what they keep doing with Spike. I understand making big mistakes and learning from them but every Spike episode to date has pretty much been...this. I was hoping this episode would go the complete opposite direction and use Spike to give the most important lesson that we haven't gotten so far: applying what you've learned from previous lessons. It would have given Spike love, taken him out of development jail, and given a new lesson all at once.

I was seriously disappointed by this Spike episode...it's like the writers hate Spike or something....

I wouldn't say they hate him but I totally understand where you're coming from. Spike's development has been at a brick wall since...what? Season 2? When was Secret of my Excess? The clumsy and greedy cards get played more than a banjo at an Apple family hoedown.  :huh:

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

And what's with all the constant Spike abuse in these episodes...Cadence didn't even apologies for slamming the bloody door in his face...I find it funny that Cadence can tell off Spike for his mess ups but then she herself cant even apologies for hers.

Edited by Dawning Demon
  • Brohoof 4

I loved Spike in Lesson Zero.

Word up. That's the #1 assistant we all know and love!  ^_^

One moment in this episode that I did like was Spike's own response to Fancy Pants' request for special privileges. "Not fair" is putting it mildly. Not all of the decisions Spike made were flawed.  :)

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

This is an interesting episode, we have the princess together again for a summit meeting, I was glad we got a glimpse of Equestrian politics, as the delegates from the city-states of Equestria meet for the summit, I find it fascinating that Equestria is a union of city-states, like ancient civilizations. Twilight Sparkle had been awake for three days, I can sympathise, during my navy basic training we had to stay awake two days, for our Battle Stations test, so Twilight Sparkle had to slumber, and Spike assumed responsibility for Twilight Sparkle, keep it quiet for her, it has some funny moments, it kind of reminded me of a Tex Avery cartoon, until Spike began to be imperative, keeping the gardener from trimming away a allergy flower, and the construction worker from repairing a water main, all under Twilight's name. As the power went to Spike's head, Princess Cadence warns Spike of misusing Twilight's name for his purpose, but to Spike he though he could do go by using her name, nevertheless he still succumbed to his vanity, until the problems he caused ruined the hall, where the meeting was going to take place, the pony in charge was Fancy Pants, it was nice to see him back from Sweet and Elite, because Spike had been using Twilight's title, the ponies believed she was responsible for all of the mistakes, and march up to her chambers. Finally, Spike confessed to his grave error, helped correct all of the wrong choices he made, thus learning a valuable lesson, if I could get little religious of a moment, this reminds me of the third commandment, do not misuse the name of L-rd, by doing wrong things in the name of the L-rd, you damage his name and cause harm for others, my Reform Congregation goes a little further, saying the commandment applies to people too, for we can and do wrongly use famous people or ordinary peoples' names, with good intentions as they state, it is a lesson to be honest, and to not let power corrupt you, sometimes we have to let other people, who know what they are doing, complete their tasks, so this was a great lesson for Spike, and a good for the audience, at some point we have been Spike, attaching ourselves to someone famous, and think we have authority to do whatever, like people who claim to speak for the Founding Fathers, or America itself, they do great harm, so this was a great addition for MLP, this was quite a good episode, and a good character moment for Spike.

Edited by King Edouard
  • Brohoof 1

Let him stay in the background. At this point, i am just relieved when he is the comedy relief, because i am actually okay with this situation. Putting him in the spotlight will just hurt him.

• Brohoof 2

I just think that one of two things need to happen:

• Spike needs an overall direction as to what he wants to be later on. Spike needs goals. Goals create character growth. Characters who grow are interesting. OR
  • Spike needs to not be in leading roles. Spike has always shone in supporting roles. Spike fares best when he is the voice of reason. But if we go this route, we have to stop using Spike as a punching bag. Do some slapstick every now and then. But don't make him a punching bag. 
  • Brohoof 7

Well since it wasn't the 100th episode, it's sucked.  No fandom nods, no over-the-top zany humor and a focus on Spike. Fargo references give it a 1/10 otherwise 0/10.

Okay serious moment

What I liked:

Spike: At least in the first half. Sure he was messing up but he was loyal and attentive to Twilight, trying to be there for her.  

Princess Cadence: Nice to see her do something. Sure it's not the most interesting thing but at least they're using their third princess.

The humor: I liked this humor far more than the 100th episodes since is wasn't a near constant.  The telescope was funny and I loved the end cut scene.

Fargo reference: need I say more? 

What I didn't like:

Everyone else: Okay knew this would happen as soon as episode 100 finished but the background ponies lost all independence. At least the construction worker was more like his boss coming down on him but still.

The Princess focus: Seriously I hate this, so you're telling me everyone will keep their toes in line for the princesses? Man do I dislike the Equestrian political system.

What was meh:

Spike, 2nd half.  First drunk on power then runs away for responsibility.  What would have been so much better is if he spoke up without anyone's prompting and told them why he had done what he had done, and called everypony out on their devotion to the princesses. 

Not a bad episode all in all, but a run of the numbers Spike episodes. 

• Brohoof 2