Did you like it?  

247 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

All this episode taught me is what characters are better in what roles. For example, Pinkie is written a lot better when she is a main role and Spike is written better when he is a supporting role.

If I were to say one positive thing about the episode, it would be the designs of some of the ponies from different countries.

Well, that sure wasn't much. Anyone else say the new worst episode of season 5?

I don't know if it would be the worst for me. I mean, the worst episode of this season so far is either this or Appleooza's Most Wanted.

• Brohoof 3

Let him stay in the background. At this point, i am just relieved when he is the comedy relief, because i am actually okay with this situation. Putting him in the spotlight will just hurt him.

Uh, no. 

How about instead, the writers start treating him the way McCarthy does, stop overly abusing him and writing him as though he's an asshole who only looks out for himself? 

Spike has shown himself to be capable of fantastic characterization. It's just that the writers would prefer using him as a punching bag because....LOL IT'S FUNNY!!!!  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 7

I'd vouch to say Appleoosa's Most Wanted was far more contrived than this episode. 

Regardless, it's still not as bad as AMW because the spirit of this episode was in a better place than AMW. AMW was just too mean-spirited. A guy who wants to be taken seriously ends up where his destiny is only to be laughed at. Man, do the cards have it in bad for him. This episode started with a servant's heart that turned into corruption and Spike's general predictability. In other words, they've done worse. 

I feel like a better plot point would have been just being honest. If the princess was asleep the whole time, it would have made Spike's situation much easier if he just said, "The Princess hasn't slept in days and she needs to rest for a moment so she can actually think."

• Brohoof 1

Well, that sure wasn't much. Anyone else say the new worst episode of season 5?

No, that is still reserved for Appleloosas most wanted. Atleast in this episode, we got adorkable sleepy Twilight, turning from pancakes into books.

• Brohoof 3

Let him stay in the background. At this point, i am just relieved when he is the comedy relief, because i am actually okay with this situation. Putting him in the spotlight will just hurt him.

Running away from the problem of poor Spike Characterizations won't fix this ailing issue in the series. They just need to find an overall character arc for the guy to be put him that will do his character justice I believe.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

Welp, it's basically a rebranded Secret of My Excess with, I don't know, a "driver update" that makes it look different. (Was trying to compare this with most of AMD's R9 300 series :derp:)

Overall, it was alright. Definitely not a Cutie Map or Tanks For the Memories, but it's not a G3 special either. But seriously, with the slim chance of some guy at DHX reading this, how about make a Spike episode where he just feels like a roadblock to ponies outside of the Mane 6, especially with his reputation as a tyrannosaurus rex who, in the end, gets rekt, and just overall feels that ponies would've been better off without him. Complete with a heartwarming approach to it.

Do eet, DHX! Do eet! :kindness:

Sleepy Twilight was friggin a'daawwwrkable though... :adorkable:

Edited by Fillypino Pride
  • Brohoof 3

Well I usually don't give a flip about Spike but this was hilarious!, he really got himself into deep do-do this time! :gotcha: and poor Twilight with that angry mob, I thought she was going to get creamed! and that ending OH NO SPIKE DON'T SNEEZE!!!!!!! and I liked seeing Cadence in this episode too

Or even better. Spike could have been blunt with the brainless subjects and told them to think for themselves rather than coming to the princess with literally every problem they have. 

I stubbed my hoof and now it's bleeding profusely! I should go see Princess Twilight to get some idea as to what I should do instead of calling a doctor!

• Brohoof 3

Running away from the problem of poor Spike Characterizations won't fix this ailing issue in the series. They just need to find an overall character arc for the guy to be put him that will do his character justice I believe.

What would you do with him? At this point, i don't see where he could fit.

I could really relate to this episode. Just like Princess Twilight, I had a hard time staying awake for most of this episode.

Since the show is basically an advertisement to sell toys, my question is why do they keep making Spikecenteric episodes when Hasbro dose'nt even sell Spike toys?

I think the biggest flaw with these Spike episodes (other than the redundancy) is that in most episodes he is shown to be competent, but when he is the focus of the episode he is anything but.

It would be funny to see a future episode were the Princesses swap places with Spike and feel the constant unfair abuse he suffers.

No kidding.  :(

One of the things I've been wondering is why Spike doesn't seem to be very intellectually absorbed. I mean, Twilight did raise him didn't she? Wouldn't it be natural for Spike to at least have some of the same tendencies? It's almost as if his character was built separate from his background (i.e. writers following tropes rather than natural consequence). The only tendency I can think of off the top of my head is his strong desire to please / do his job well.

A good, memorable Spike episode! Hah! That'll be the day lol

"Secret of my Excess" says hi

• Brohoof 10

"Secret of my Excess" says hi

Let me rephrase that: A second good, memorable Spike episode! Hah! That'll be the day! :P:lol:

That actually was a good episode. 

I missed the episode because I overslept, but now that I've seen it, it was.. meh at best.

There were some things I liked, such as good humor and Cadance actually showing some character CADANCEXSPIKE OTP, but otherwise, it was just another "Spike messes up crap" episode, which is becoming incredibly redundant.

• Brohoof 3

Here is what I noticed while watching this episode.

Has the other 3 princesses made Twilight Sparkle do all of the important princess royal duty work? What exactly were THEY doing, and why didn't they realize that one princess can't handle all that alone by herself? And why didn't they step in and help out? Well, Cadance has, but only a tiny bit.

So, who is really to blame for Twilight becoming frazzled into a near-coma, and for Spike messing up big time?

You know I kind of liked this one, I think it is the best spike ep. granted I dont know if that is saying all that much, considering ever other spike ep was kind of bad. Anyway I like this one I give it a "good" rating!

No kidding.  :(

One of the things I've been wondering is why Spike doesn't seem to be very intellectually absorbed. I mean, Twilight did raise him didn't she? Wouldn't it be natural for Spike to at least have some of the same tendencies? It's almost as if his character was built separate from his background (i.e. writers following tropes rather than natural consequence). The only tendency I can think of off the top of my head is his strong desire to please / do his job well.

I just don't like how they constantly abuse Spike...at first it was alittle bit of innocent slapstick humour but now its going over the top...

• Brohoof 2

What would you do with him? At this point, i don't see where he could fit.

Actually talk about his dragon lineage and how he is coping as a dragon growing up in a pony society that is very much different from his race's own and decide if he should ever leave the ponies behind for his kind or accept that he'll never become accustomed to whom dragons are and accepts himself as more a pony in behavior and lives with them instead. It seemed that's what they were trying for in episodes like Dragon Quest but negative backlash seemed to have spooked them from that path unfortunately.

• Brohoof 7

I think the writers just need an episode for Spike that doesn't involve him written as either an idiot or a punching bag. It's been proven it can be done when he's written as a side character, so why not here?

Also, I thought the whole "Dragon sneezing tree" was extremely contrived. Why does such a tree exist? Why does it only specifically affect dragons? I could understand if it was just that Spike was just allergic to that particular tree, but not an entire freaking race.

• Brohoof 6

No, how about we leave the background ponies in the background.  Spike can be good it's just they need to get away from him being a child who messes up.  Like in Dragon Quest, where he had to go on a journey of self discovery.  That should be one of Spike's big focuses, that he's not like everyone else.  He has no cutie mark, he's not as old as the Mane 6, but not as young as the CMC (if For Whom the Sweetie Belle Tolls is any indication, ie fully grown Rarity at that point but then again I don't know how ponies age and now I'm rambling) and last but certainly not least , he's a guy.  For Spike I think the show should focus on his differences, that he's not confined to the same frame of thinking as the rest of the Mane 6 and pony kind in general are. 

• Brohoof 9

So yeah, this was a pretty predictable Spike episode. I know that we're coming off the episode 100 hype train here, but I really thought they could have done a better job here. Here's the thing about Spike, he's a great supporting character. He knows how to keep Twilight in check and whatnot, but I hate how when he's on his own, he turns into an idiot. We've been there before and it gets dull fast. I really wish the writers would give him some actual character development instead of treating him like an idiot.

The only two good things to come out of this even inside was Cadence being a secondary star and Fancy Pants making a return. Other than that, there's not much else I can say about this episode.

• Brohoof 2

Actually talk about his dragon lineage and how he is coping as a dragon growing up in a pony society that is very much different from his race's own and decide if he should ever leave the ponies behind for his kind or accept that he'll never become accustomed to whom dragons are and accepts himself as more a pony in behavior and lives with them instead. It seemed that's what they were trying for in episodes like Dragon Quest but negative backlash seemed to have spooked them from that path unfortunately.

I was on the same train as you. But here is the thing, the train is gone. The writers have no guts going back to this, because of the massive backlash from Dragon Quest and now they are pretty much stuck with what we have seen today. So, that's why i see no hope for him as some kind of a main character.

I know, sounds cynical as hell, but that's just what i think.