Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are they playing storytelling safe with Equestria Girls?

ManaMinori

It kinda feels like they are, to me. First of all, by having both movies thus far (and from the looks of it, the upcoming third as well) take place at a high school. We don't know what the rest of their world is like beynd the high school.

Secondly, by having the mane 5 of the 6 central character s be copies of the ones in Equestria, right dwn to their personalities and elements they represent. Thus, hindering much difference in character development.

Lastly, nit taking the opportunity to tell a story that differs from Mlp:Fim's. By having Sunset Shimmer stay in the human world to learn friendship, they're treating her like pony Twilight, who already went through that story with her friends. What they haven't touched on in the series- friendship being maintained through long distance relationships - should be covered in the movie, through Sunset Shimmer, if they used it to their advantage and had her return to Equestrian to stay. What longer distance to wrknat a relationship than the disdance beteen dimensions?

What do you guys think, though? Are they playing storytelling safe? Should they take more opportunities with the EQG movies, to actually try teelling stories that they can't in the series?

• Brohoof 1

I think so.

In a different light than that of actual plot analysis: They seem to tend towards a sort of "cookie cutter" formulated script that aims at little girls predominately... or at least that's how I see it. I thus far haven't been overly impressed with the quality of stores in the EG movies... hopefully this upcoming one changes my mind on that (although I suspect it won't).

I haven't paid enough attention to the plots, especially the second of the two

(edited)

I really want to see the humane 5 struggle with human things, like Rainbow Dash preparing for a driver's exam, Rarity getting a zit, or Fluttershy freaking out over an oral presentation, lol.

But those are more for individual TV episodes, and movies don't have enough time to give every character a unique conflict. Sunset had to take most of the focus in Rainbow Rocks because she was very underdeveloped. Now that she is loved by everyone, I think the third movie can start devoting more time to each character, especially now that Twilight Sparkle might not be in it at all.

And long distance relationship was kind of touched upon on the Friendship through the ages music video, as time will go by, and their friendship will take a different form(long distance as they part ways), yet still be the same friendship no matter the circumstance.

And Jeez, have faitt. The third movie seems to be focusing outside of Canterlot High (In regards to Crystal Prep, and whereever the Friendship Games wil take place)

Edited by Ickery
  • Brohoof 1

I really want to see the humane 5 struggle with human things, like Rainbow Dash preparing for a driver's exam, Rarity getting a zit, or Fluttershy freaking out over an oral presentation, lol.

I can see why that'd be an interesting break from the "normal" pony world, but then I think it might actually get a bit more on the -boring- side. I think the big thing I want to see is for the writing to feel less like an 'extended advertisement' with pretty mediocre story, awful lyrics (and just generally pretty bad pop music)- the movies just don't seem to match the quality of the show.

For myself as a viewer, I'll be hooked a lot more if they write it more like a season premiere/finale rather than a really, really long commercial.

(edited)

Rainbow Rocks had a competent villain, amazing finale, and in my opinion a struggle more exhilarating than Twilight's Kingdom or any other premiere/finale. It even ended with a hook that left you excited for the future events to come, while FiM just gave you colored manes, wings, and a giant crystal castle playset. That to me feels just as "extended advertisement". It's a problem FiM has had to.

Can you maybe explain why RR had a mediocre story? At least in comparison to your favorite two parter?

Edited by Ickery
  • Brohoof 1

If they put outland-ish stories in to EQG then they will lose whatever remains of the brony audience (i am not sure about the target audience) but they need to slow build up a sense of confidence building this alternate world timeline of MLP, say we cant have some Tirek like beast trashing the school, plot wise it would make sense, how the first two movies pulled it off were just fine, are they playing it safe for the story telling, Maybe.

If they put outland-ish stories in to EQG then they will lose whatever remains of the brony audience (i am not sure about the target audience) but they need to slow build up a sense of confidence building this alternate world timeline of MLP, say we cant have some Tirek like beast trashing the school, plot wise it would make sense, how the first two movies pulled it off were just fine, are they playing it safe for the story telling, Maybe.

how exctly would outlandish stories in EQD lose the Brony audience? I don't understand. It was those outlandish stories that drew bronies into MLP:FIM, wasn't it? So how would that turn people off from EQD, if it does the same? (and besides, thanks to Twi, there's magic in that world, now, so it's no longer outlandish if anything magical happens there, besides the pony powering up, by the humans. We already have human magically transforming into part pony. Is that not outlandish in itself?)

how exctly would outlandish stories in EQD lose the Brony audience? I don't understand. It was those outlandish stories that drew bronies into MLP:FIM, wasn't it? So how would that turn people off from EQD, if it does the same? (and besides, thanks to Twi, there's magic in that world, now, so it's no longer outlandish if anything magical happens there, besides the pony powering up, by the humans. We already have human magically transforming into part pony. Is that not outlandish in itself?)

It is set in the human world, not equestria, they have to keep some status quo

It is set in the human world, not equestria, they have to keep some status quo

then they shouldn't have brought the magic over, and tried to merge the uniqueness of the worlds, with one having magic, and one lacking it, until Twilight brought it over, to begin with.

I think the important thing to keep in mind here is the target audience. While the upper age of FIM (for selling toys to) is eight or nine year olds, while Equestria Girls is meant to appeal to pre-teens (ten to twelve year olds). Highschool is an unknown mysterious, and intriguing place to those in that age group. Most highschool drama shows/ movies appeal to those that have yet to experience it. So that sort of limits how far they can go with world building.

As far as the characters being copies of their pony counterparts. They can't stray too far from the personalities that they already established in order to keep the characters familiar. I tend to think about it like this; the ponies are adults, but in Equestria Girls it attempts to show how they would have been as teens AND in a world more similar to our own. So within those constraints, it almost can't help but feel like they are playing it safe. Not to mention that the movie format just dose'nt lend itself to the same level of story telling that a series does.

With that said, I think you are right. At this point with the world and characters established (which the first movie did) we should look forward to an expansion of story telling (which Rainbow Rocks did. Which is why it is generally considered a better movie than the first). I like your idea, its just as long as they keep it in a highschool setting they are kind of limited. What I think would make for some good story telling opportunities (to me as an adult) would be for them to graduate highschool and follow how they maintain their friendships as their lives take different paths to adulthood when they no longer have the convince of all having to being the same building as each other every day. Like AJ would work on the farm, others would pursue a postsecondary education, Dash and Rarity would pursue fame. How would maintaining friendship fit in? Now that would lend itself to some good story telling, however it might not sell too many toys. Which is why we're not likely to see that from this franchise. Which is why they need to bring Sunset home to Equestria.

I think the important thing to keep in mind here is the target audience. While the upper age of FIM (for selling toys to) is eight or nine year olds, while Equestria Girls is meant to appeal to pre-teens (ten to twelve year olds). Highschool is an unknown mysterious, and intriguing place to those in that age group. Most highschool drama shows/ movies appeal to those that have yet to experience it. So that sort of limits how far they can go with world building.

As far as the characters being copies of their pony counterparts. They can't stray too far from the personalities that they already established in order to keep the characters familiar. I tend to think about it like this; the ponies are adults, but in Equestria Girls it attempts to show how they would have been as teens AND in a world more similar to our own. So within those constraints, it almost can't help but feel like they are playing it safe. Not to mention that the movie format just dose'nt lend itself to the same level of story telling that a series does.

With that said, I think you are right. At this point with the world and characters established (which the first movie did) we should look forward to an expansion of story telling (which Rainbow Rocks did. Which is why it is generally considered a better movie than the first). I like your idea, its just as long as they keep it in a highschool setting they are kind of limited. What I think would make for some good story telling opportunities (to me as an adult) would be for them to graduate highschool and follow how they maintain their friendships as their lives take different paths to adulthood when they no longer have the convince of all having to being the same building as each other every day. Like AJ would work on the farm, others would pursue a postsecondary education, Dash and Rarity would pursue fame. How would maintaining friendship fit in? Now that would lend itself to some good story telling, however it might not sell too many toys. Which is why we're not likely to see that from this franchise. Which is why they need to bring Sunset home to Equestria.

I like the idea of them graduating...or at least Sunny, who seems to have been there for 3 years of Fall formals, already, from what I took from the first movie. She should be a senior, if the most recent fall formal was her fourth, or if it took her a year to get established in the human world, and the third fall formal she won was her last, at that school. Time for Sunny to move on to bigger and better things, and  facing graduation could pave the way for that long distance relationship setup to work out. It'd be interesting if she looked into getting a job in the human world (please, something other than flipping burgers. She's quite the accomplished student, so it'd be a shame to waste those talents), or weighing the option of returning to the pony world to work as Luna's apprentice, as Twilight was to Celestia. I get the feeling her and Twi are meant to be ruling together, like Celestia and Luna, since they play the same roles.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

First of all, Sunset won three formals, not Fall specifically. You have to take the Spring Flings into account. She could very well be a junior(and people like Big Mac and Cheerilee as seniors)

Second, wouldn't it be better for a series to have their characters at their prime/experience their youth and naivety, before winding them down into the scenario you have presented? FiM didn't start Twilight Sparkle with the task to spread friendship across the land as a princess, battling country sized threats such as tirek. These things need time to grow naturally to truly be impactful. That is why you shouldn't judge the scope of EQG by it's first two movies(like you wouldn't the first two seasons of MLP). We've barely touched the surface...

Edited by Ickery

I like the idea of them graduating...or at least Sunny, who seems to have been there for 3 years of Fall formals, already, from what I took from the first movie. She should be a senior, if the most recent fall formal was her fourth, or if it took her a year to get established in the human world, and the third fall formal she won was her last, at that school. Time for Sunny to move on to bigger and better things, and  facing graduation could pave the way for that long distance relationship setup to work out. It'd be interesting if she looked into getting a job in the human world (please, something other than flipping burgers. She's quite the accomplished student, so it'd be a shame to waste those talents), or weighing the option of returning to the pony world to work as Luna's apprentice, as Twilight was to Celestia. I get the feeling her and Twi are meant to be ruling together, like Celestia and Luna, since they play the same roles.

Yes, Sunny returning to Equestria, being Luna's apprentice, to eventually alicorn along side Twi is the best. Keeping on topic, I could see Sunset being accepted to a university, but she decides to enroll at a community college to stay close to her friends. No one thinks this is a wise decision for her, but she knows that she can learn more from friendships than she will ever learn in college. A story could revolve around having to work her way through school, and her friends trying to help her out, like AJ "we could always use an extra hand on the farm, or Fluttershy getting her a job at the animal shelter, or Dash saying the team needs someone like her as an equipment manager, etc. (Ain't no way Sunny is flipping burgers!)

This stuff almost writes itself.

The storytelling is not safe at all. Even though that Sunset is carrying the flag for Equestria Girls. I disagree with the High School setting as it has mostly stereotypic things about High Schools. We don't see police in the hallways. People getting into fights does not exist in Canterlot High. Having some more action and teenage issues that teenagers can relate to and you got a film that has the reality of any High School in the United States. That includes Standardized testing.

Yes, Sunny returning to Equestria, being Luna's apprentice, to eventually alicorn along side Twi is the best. Keeping on topic, I could see Sunset being accepted to a university, but she decides to enroll at a community college to stay close to her friends. No one thinks this is a wise decision for her, but she knows that she can learn more from friendships than she will ever learn in college. A story could revolve around having to work her way through school, and her friends trying to help her out, like AJ "we could always use an extra hand on the farm, or Fluttershy getting her a job at the animal shelter, or Dash saying the team needs someone like her as an equipment manager, etc. (Ain't no way Sunny is flipping burgers!)

This stuff almost writes itself.

the whole Sunny returning to Equestria  idea was on topic, though, and would be the best way to get into the whole long-distance relationship thing. I am interested in seeing what Sunny plans to do with the rest of her life, if she (Luna forbid) stays in the human world. Why even attend college, community or university, to just work on friendships, if she'd be learning more from friendship than she would from any field that college might offer? Sounds like the option you're gunning for is for her to decline college entirely and find a job working close to her friends, but I don't quite see how that'd be telling much of a story that hasn't already been shown in MLP:FIM, with the Mane 6 sticking together, rather than having to maintain their friendships apart from each other.

The storytelling is not safe at all. Even though that Sunset is carrying the flag for Equestria Girls. I disagree with the High School setting as it has mostly stereotypic things about High Schools. We don't see police in the hallways. People getting into fights does not exist in Canterlot High. Having some more action and teenage issues that teenagers can relate to and you got a film that has the reality of any High School in the United States. That includes Standardized testing.

you DO realize that not every campus has police patrolling them, do you? Hasbro's not going to put that in, because they've already established that the school, doesn't have things like school shootings and whatnot, to warrant police being there. =_= To even assume that Hasbro would even, in an MLP spinoff, is asinine. I mean, really?

And no people getting into fights in the hallways? Have you SEEN Rainbow Rocks?  Fighting everywhere, dude! Even without the magic being the cause of the fights, the high schoolers are still clique-ish and rude, as seen in the first movie, and second, by how they held onto their grudges at Sunset Shimmer, who was once a mean girl, like the typical high school bad girls who run the school in just about every High school story. All that is the typical high school/ playing it safe story. All that is stuff the audience can already relate to. High school crushes, cliques, mean girls- all the pressures of high school. =_=

the whole Sunny returning to Equestria  idea was on topic, though, and would be the best way to get into the whole long-distance relationship thing. I am interested in seeing what Sunny plans to do with the rest of her life, if she (Luna forbid) stays in the human world. Why even attend college, community or university, to just work on friendships, if she'd be learning more from friendship than she would from any field that college might offer? Sounds like the option you're gunning for is for her to decline college entirely and find a job working close to her friends, but I don't quite see how that'd be telling much of a story that hasn't already been shown in MLP:FIM, with the Mane 6 sticking together, rather than having to maintain their friendships apart from each other.

Sorry. I went into fan fic mode there for a minute. ( I an foreshadowing Sunny's return to Equestria. [..."not even she could believe that she turned down a full scholarship from a university for community college. But there must have been a reason"] .. I have since written an outline for a fan fic story based on this.

This is why I (and lets be realistic here, out of like 3 people) want a EQG tv show, they could do so much with slice of life. Like actual human problems like ickery said, or subplots like Sunset's return. But alas, I am once again in the minority (like all my walking dead decisions)(If you got that joke, good for you), it will never happen.

So EQG, while still good in my eyes, needs to keep that Adventure tag on, and there really is only so much you can do in a 90 minute movie, which makes it near impossible to make it as unique as the show. :sunny:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Now that I think about it, the only safe thing EQG does is keep pony Twilight as the main character, so it feels like a side story for FiM instead of it's own thing.

Edited by Ickery

(edited)

There is a formula to the movies and tend to follow close to it. School sponsored competition, Equestria magic, villain and TS must compete, competition becomes irrelevant for good vs evil showdown, students become mindlessly controlled by villain magic, TS and FS romance, some random event that hinders the protagonist(s) until someone bails them out, etc.

The writers are recycling.

Edited by Singe