Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Cringe"

Fender

Another rant, ho!

Cringing, another annoying mannerism or fad, now. Bear with me, and forgive my wording.

This whole "cringe" fad is retarded. In the literal sense. It's a retardation of one's ability to properly express disgust, and in some cases, is a pathetic and snide manner of doing so. Don't get me wrong here, I don't hate someone for using "cringe," but I do hate the whole deal about it. For lack of a better word, and for the sake of irony - people saying they "cringe" at something is very "cringeworthy." But that's just it, there's many, many a better way to express disgust, or discomfort through use of a fucking thesaurus. This goes hand in hand with how it's cool to hate things without purpose now, but the main point in this rant still stands. This whole "cringe" fad is on a neanderthalic level of ignorance with how commonly it is used. It makes me downright afraid to properly use the term "cringe" in any day to day conversation.

Am I alone in this?

• Brohoof 4

I don't see what the big deal is, it's just a word people use, it means 'disgust and/or regret'.

I can't explain cringe, but I use it to describe a certain type of disgust/discomfort for someone or something if I can't describe it with words.

(edited)

Ultimately sounds like non-issue to me. I don't understand what your problem is with word "cringe"; I find "cringe" to be adequate to describe something and "disgust" doesn't quite describe something most accurately in many cases. I don't think is fad, I think is simply word people use.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

@@Twilight Kyle

No, it's much, much more than a word. It's an attitude. Like I said: "This goes hand in hand with how it's cool to hate things without purpose now." It's peoples' go to term for when they not only feel "disgust and/or regret," but also when they feel obligated to feel "disgust and/or regret." If I'm not explaining well, excuse me, I'm very tired. .-.

I'll echo what people are saying here, I find the world cringe to be an acceptable way to express disgust. Usually when I use it, I intend it to mean something close to disgust, but not quite as strong as the word disgust implies. It is useful to me in that way. 

@@Twilight Kyle

No, it's much, much more than a word. It's an attitude. Like I said: "This goes hand in hand with how it's cool to hate things without purpose now." It's peoples' go to term for when they not only feel "disgust and/or regret," but also when they feel obligated to feel "disgust and/or regret." If I'm not explaining well, excuse me, I'm very tired. .-.

If that's the case then culture is the problem, not the word. The word itself is perfectly valid for describing an emotional state of like 'ugh I can't believe I did that' or 'oh god that's so bad it's just ughh.. *cringe*", You know? Seems like a non-issue to me.

I think you're looking too deep into this. "Goes hand in hand with how it's cool to hate things without purpose now" but I really don't see how "cringe" is relevant nor was the link anything I ever noticed and still don't notice.

Is it disgust XD I just use it for like that hearts and hooves day episode where big mac and cherilee are calling each other awkward names. :P

@@Twilight Kyle,@@Tsaritsa Luna,  

It's valid, yes, Kyle.

It's quite perhaps all a matter of perspective. I don't expect people to agree with me based solely upon me explaining myself (mind you, when I'm on the edge of not being able to stay awake much longer may not be a great time to construct a rant.) I will maybe elaborate more after I've slept, whenever that is. What I *can* add right now is that in my personal experience, and from my perspective...I can quite easily associate the term or attitude of "cringe" with an exceptional level of assholery, pardon the language, as that's what I have seen it involved in most. Again, I don't hate anyone for using it, I just hate the "fad" part of it, or more specifically, I hate what I associate it with.

Bear with me. :P

@@Twilight Kyle,@@Tsaritsa Luna,  

It's valid, yes, Kyle.

It's quite perhaps all a matter of perspective. I don't expect people to agree with me based solely upon me explaining myself (mind you, when I'm on the edge of not being able to stay awake much longer may not be a great time to construct a rant.) I will maybe elaborate more after I've slept, whenever that is. What I *can* add right now is that in my personal experience, and from my perspective...I can quite easily associate the term or attitude of "cringe" with an exceptional level of assholery, pardon the language, as that's what I have seen it involved in most. Again, I don't hate anyone for using it, I just hate the "fad" part of it, or more specifically, I hate what I associate it with.

Bear with me. :P

I've never experienced such an issue, whenever I've heard the word cringe used, it's always used properly. I can see what you're trying to say, but I just can't picture it. Swag.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...