Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The past and future of Philomena?

ManaMinori

(edited)

I see certain people in the fandom speak up, from time to time, about wanting an episode around the Royal Sisters. And while I, too, am one of those people– although not much a fan of Sunbutt- who would like maybe a Sisterhooves Social or Family Appreciation Day episode around Sunbutt and best princess and champion pollbreaker, Luna, I have to wonder.....what about Philomena, Sunbutt's pet bird? Does anyone care about HER?

Sure, she got an episode (Kinda), in “A Bird in the Hoof” (it was mostly a Flutterbutt episode, let's face it), but we haven't seen her since. Does no one wonder just how long Philomena has been with Sunbutt? My own personal opinion is that Sunbutt got her- either raising her from an egg, or finding her near dragon territory, as a hatchling that fell out the nest, and was abandoned by its parents- after she banished Nightmare Moon. Perhaps taking egg/ hatchling Philomena in to try and ease her lonliness from losing her sister, and to serve as a personal reminder from the phoenix’s nature that when hours seem bleakest (as the phoenix dies), a new light of hope is sure to come (from the phoenix's rebirth), and hold to that hope for 1k years that her own sister wasn't beyond saving.

Or maybe Philomena was (or supposed to be) a gift and apprentice to Sunset Shimmer from Sunbutt, before she abandoned her studies, but Sunbutt kept Philomena around after Sunset Shimmer left for the human world, and cared for her as her own pet, in memory of her former apprentice. Sunset Shimmer does, later reference- and gain phoenix wings and a tail- in “My Past is Not Today”, short by Hasbro.

And moving on from Philomena's past to her future, do you think we'll be seeing more of her in future episodes? (along with Tiberius, Luna's pet possum?) Do you think we could find out more about Sunbutt through Philomena, herself? (since some say that owners starts to look like their pets, and vice-versa, after a time. We've seen Philomena behave playfully, like Sunbutt herself) I think a Philomena and Owlicious episode could prove to be entertaining, since it seems like Owlie doesn't have a playmate. Or maybe a Philomena and Spike episode, since we've already seen Spike with Owlicious a few times. Where Owlicious acts as sort of a conscious for Spike, perhaps Philomena could act more as a mentor, somehow; silently guiding him through what character development some people say that he needs to work on? Or Philomena and Pinkie hijinks? An episode centered around competitive sport with Rainbow Dash and Philomena (can a phoenix fly faster than Dashie?). Perhaps just a Philomena slice of life episode where we can see how Sunbutt might be, through the actions of her pet, as she interacts with each of the Mane 6 and Spike?

What are your thoughts on Philomena, her past, her (potential) future, and how Sunbutt might be portrayed through the pet's own actions?

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

Does no one wonder about Philomena, her past, who her real owner was, her potential in future episodes, etc? Tank, of all pets, has gotten more screen time! Unbelievable! A tortois gets more love than a phoenix!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea that she was a gift from Sunset Shimmer. :)

Philomena seemed like a one-shot character but maybe she'll appear again.

For Sunset Shimmer, not From her, dear.

I never thought philomena would be a oneshot. I mean, other pets have shown up more than once. Tank, Opalescense, Winona, Angel, and even Owlicious.

Why NOT Philomena?