Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The 2000s Nostalgia Thread

Zoraxe

(edited)

@,

YuYu Hakusho and Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin are animes that were created and aired in Japan in the 90s, but came out in English in the 2000s, and we can thank Toonami that we got them. So early-00s nostalgia for us but mid-90s Nostalgia for Japan.

Anime styles have changed over the years.

sig-4003271.how-anime-changed-explanatio

The later 2000s where the era that Bleach and Naruto were new and popular with a lot of people (anybody ells ever see someone wear a Naruto headband at high school?). By the time of these shows, the internet has allowed non-japanese folks access to anime not long after it airs in japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEBevNq8Np4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5dZfuQXOiw

Edited by Zoraxe

YuYu Hakusho and Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin are animes that were created and aired in Japan in the 90s, but came out in English in the 2000s, and we can thank Toonami that we got them. So 2000s nostalgia for us but 90s Nostalgia for Japan.

Didn't know about that. Eh, technicalities.

And yeah, pretty much all of Toonami would be 2000s nostalgia. All those afternoons I hoped my mom would come home a tad late from work so I could watch these shows uninterrupted -- especially when I had to study XP

I'm guessing Saint Seiya would also count as being a 90s anime? 

Didn't know about that. Eh, technicalities.

And yeah, pretty much all of Toonami would be 2000s nostalgia. All those afternoons I hoped my mom would come home a tad late from work so I could watch these shows uninterrupted -- especially when I had to study XP

I'm guessing Saint Seiya would also count as being a 90s anime? 

Let me look it up... "October 11, 1986April 1, 1989", its an 80s anime!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

This decade was the heart of my childhood. I was born in 1996 and yet I don't remember the first 4 years of my life.

TV Shows:

Ben 10, Lilo and Stitch, Transformers Animated, Doctor Who, The Sarah Jane Adventures, Power Rangers (Disney Era), Spongebob (first 5 Seasons), Fairly Odd Parents, Underground Ernie, Rubbadubbers, Balamory, Kerwhizz, Thomas and Friends (Seasons 6-8, plus The Magic Railroad), Dexter's Lab, Codename: Kids Next Door, The Hoobs, Teletubbies, The Tweenies, Bob the Builder, Chuggington, Brum, Mr Bean: The Animated Series, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, The Mr Men Show, Ed, Edd n' Eddy, Oggy and the Cockroaches and Skatoony.

Video Games:

Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros (DS and Wii) and Wii Sports Resort (I only had a Nintendo DS and Wii).

Movies:

Harry Potter, Transformers 1 and 2, the first 3 Lilo and Stitch movies (including Stitch the Movie), The Cat in the Hat, Horton Hears a Who, Garfield the Movie, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, Pixar's Cars, Blue Sky's Robots, The Spongebob Movie, Thunderbirds, Shrek, Madagascar, Over the Hedge, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Chicken Run, Ice Age 1 and 2, The Magic Roundabout and The Grinch.

Adverts:

Coco Pops, Frosties, K'nex, Power Rangers Toys, Cookie Crisp, Twister (MB Game), Doctor Who toys, Churchill Insurance, Pokémon Trading Cards, McDonalds Happy Meals, Hornby Train Sets etc.

TV Channels:

Cartoon Network, CN Too, Boomerrang, Nick and Nick Toons, CBBC, CBeebies, BBC One, Two and Three, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Challenge (game show channel).

There's much more I can list but I would be here all day.

Edited by James A Williams
  • Brohoof 1

Sure, iPhones are cool and all, but there was a phone even cooler than that back in my day...

sig-3887593.061212_Japan_Razr.jpg

OH MY GOSH!!! YES...   :pinkie: 

The Motorola Razr.   ^_^ 

I had one, or at least something very similar, and I loved it.  It was black, silver, and red.  Great reception, too.

Sometimes I wonder what people would be like without smartphones, like they used to be in the era of the Razr.  I don't even have a smartphone yet.  I just have a simple flip phone.   :squee: 

~ Miles

• 4 months later...

These are the years where i got into Wrestling, starting in the year 2000, where The Rock was the coolest guy for me and before everybody knew him as a Hollywood Star.

It was also the years where i suddenly more and more realized, that the music industry was more and more taking a nose dive and that quality was few and far between. It was the time when i became a metalhead and one of the few current metalbands i heard at that time, was System of a Down.

Who Let the Dogs out? that is the million dollar question 

Did you really have to remind me of that song's existence?  I think I'd finally managed to forget. ; _ ;  Can the dogs please be put back in the kennel in the darkest recesses of my mind?

The 2000s?  The Lord of the Rings film trilogy, Battlestar Galactica, Nintendo Gamecube, Tenchi Muyo!, and DDR.

• Brohoof 1

I seem to recall that in 2008 emo & the scene kid look was very popular. You still see the emo look but scene not so much. Also around that time Maplestory was very popular and I was playing it back then. Now everything is different and has way too many classes. I also graduated high school in 2001.

Is it weird if I miss the 2000s emo fad?

• Brohoof 1

DIAL UP   -  I actually had dial up until 2012, when i joined the army.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City .  Best GTA Ever.

Pokemon: The Movie 2000   I actually learned to play Lugias song on guitar.

Pokemon: Regons 1 - 3

Pokemon:  Mew-Two

Yu-Gi-Oh!  With Kiaba and Yugi (?) and the gang.  Battle Island

Yu-Gi-Oh!  Battling in the caffateria in middle school

Playboy.  (So they were old, I was getting older)

Megas XLR

Anime

Toonami

Spongebob (Back when it was good)

WHO REMEMBERS the show that played on fridays on Cartoon Network between the actual tv shows.  With the kids, and the games, and the cooking...  What ever happened to that.   That was back when Camp Lazlo was still New.

I could go on a giant rant but id rather not.

Edited by CodeHell
  • Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...

ah.. the early 2000s... :icwudt:

I remember how we had a windows 98 for the longest time before we got an XP.. :wat:

the nostalgia is strong with this one.

not to mention, the Gameboy, wii (smash bros brawl <3) and DS. oh and the xbox 360.

I still remember how my DS lite died... how it split in two :(

you guys remember when starwars episodes 2-3 came out right?

A list of things I have nostalgia about in my childhood decade (in 2000 I was 2 or 3, and 2010 was the year I turned 13):

1. SpongeBob pre-S5, Invader Zim, Ren and Stimpy, the et cetera. Really good cartoons of the time. (NOT MLP PRE-G4).
  2. GameCube and a bunch of it's library. (I literally unlocked every character in Melee and played at least 20 games on the GameCube probably).
  3. Nintendo 64 and some of it's library (yeah I didn't play one until the Gamecube was already out. I was 4 when that came out... I played my first N64 game at 6 years old. It was the original Smash Bros. I look back on it and that was pretty fitting.). (Also listening to Mumbo's Mountain OST while writing this. Also known as the universal screwing around music).
  4. Majority of the NDS games I had I got before 2010. Probably the defining portable console of my childhood and adolescence. Heck, if I had the money I would collect DS games probably. I loved the DS library as you can tell.
  5. PS1 is in the same boat as N64, though I had only played a few games.
  6. When Magic the Gathering was KIND OF balanced. Also, when my brother collected over 9000 (I swear it was that many) Pokémon cards.
  7. Pre-Gen 5 Pokémon anything. I beat Gen 4's elite 4 at least 40 times and swept it with only an imported Rayquaza at least 10. I tried it with a Dusknoir, though I lost. But I got really close. I got to the Psychic type and lost.
  8. Washington State. It's a beautiful place. I remember when I was about 8 I would run out of the house when I was angry and go out to the woods. The majesty of it cooled me down within half-an-hour and it may have inspired my lust for knowledge later on.
  9. It was the time I wasn't yet getting sexual thoughts and was dealing with conflicting emotions (well, at least the first 8 years...). ( By the way, that first feeling was towards a boy, if you didn't already know that ;) ). But still I didn't have to deal with sexuality yet (even though It actually kind of started sooner than I said, I didn't know that until a while later)

This probably isn't the entire list, but you get the picture. It was my childhood. The 2000's were my childhood.

Edited by TwillyFSniper

2000's Nostalgia for me in 3 images

sig-4358153.Game-Boy-Advance-1stGen.png

sig-4358153.GameCubePage01.jpg

sig-4358153.8b93fae587d4780a06c27d78ad77

:pinkie::wub:

Pokemon Silver! DragonBall Z Toonami!!!

This thread is my home <3

Well we got our first computer in 2003 that was a Dell dimension 4800 series. They were really popular and classic Windows XP computers and we got our first internet connection in 2005. Believe it or not but still to this day only dial-up internet is available in our area and it's extremely slow at around 4.25Ms because we live around 4 kilometres from the nearest exchange. :)

• 2 weeks later...