Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can Friendship Games live up to Rainbow Rocks?

Harshreality

• 3 months later...

Usually, The 2nd is always the peak of the Trilogy.....

Despite the fact that I enjoyed Friendship Games as much as I did previous EG movies, the Horseshoe of Superiority goes, quite a close call, to "Rainbow Rocks".

Edited by Light Blade

Saw both.....but to avoid revealing spoilers to those who haven't watched it in this thread: plot wise? Mmm...yes. I guessed it'll still have many plot holes as RainbowRocks did, but I was also hoping it wasn't too predictable....and it lived up to my expectations. 

I also predicted the songs would be the ONLY thing that wouldn't match up to RainbowRocks......and they didn't but they still surpassed what I was expecting because the songs were gooood 

I've been debating this in my head ever since watching Friendship Games (and then re-watching it).  It's definitely a close competition between the two movies, but I think Friendship Games comes out just ahead for me because of the overall moral of each film. 

I feel like the moral of Rainbow Rocks is to stop fighting with each other and just be friends, while the moral of Friendship Games is that there are more important things in life than trying to understand everything, and that sometimes one's quest for knowledge can put other people in jeopardy.  Ergo, sometimes progress isn't worth the price that comes with it.

(Decided to put that in a spoiler because maybe(?) that gives away something about the plot of each film.)

• Brohoof 1

Nothing, nothing..can ever live up to the sirens, period. Best villains, best fan base and best toys...that's right I went there.

Don't get me wrong love me some s.s she is best shadow bolt.....but Adagio....Aaaaaddddaaaagiiioooooo.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, good question. Now, I've seen both RR and FG several times, and I must say that overall I like RR better. However, there are things FG does better than its predecessor, IMO.

For one thing, I think the magic is far more logical in FG because they transform when they exhibit their elements. This seems far more logical to me than transforming when playing music. I also think that SciTwi's role was very well done in the movie and I loved the final moments of Unleash the Magic, which were quite haunting when viewed in the proper mindset.

Then, of course, there are the parallels being drawn with EQG when Sunset confronts Midnight, which really show how far she's come.

All in all, however, for me nothing beats the kitchen scene in RR where Twilight and Sunset bond, and during the final battle when Sunset gains her anthro form. Her smirk at that moment, her light joining the rainbow and the massive alicorn of light and friendship blasting the Sirens was just epic. FG, no matter how good it is, can't beat those moments.

• Brohoof 1