Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's so bad about 'Slice of Life'?

221BTardisSt

Hey everypony! I've heard a lot of trash talk about episode 100 lately and was wondering if someone could explain to me why they dislike it so much. Personally, I liked it. Secret agent Bon Bon was adorable, and don't even get me started on how much I fangirled over Doctor Whooves. If I disliked anything, it was Vinyl and Octavia's rampage through town, but I really liked the song. So why didn't you like the episode? 

• Brohoof 5

I haven't heard a single person say they disliked it, this is a shocker to me. Was there many of them? Because literally, I've only seen people say it's a good/the best episode

• Brohoof 3

I haven't heard a single person say they disliked it, this is a shocker to me. Was there many of them? Because literally, I've only seen people say it's a good/the best episode

Really? I've only heard negative. I guess the fandom's big enough to get mixed opinions on everything, though. I don't get on the forum much, but I've seen about three or four people say that it was the worst episode they had seen or that they didn't even finish it. I thought it was a great dedication to the background ponies, especially the speech that the Mayor gave.

I have seen a couple folks bash it. Really, the only reason I can determine is, they simply want to. You know how with Internet rages, people as a whole either love it or hate it? It's like that. They hate it just to be on the other side, so as to avoid "conforming". I dunno if there are some who genuinely don't like it for genuine reasons, but that's just what I've seen.

I have seen a couple folks bash it. Really, the only reason I can determine is, they simply want to. You know how with Internet rages, people as a whole either love it or hate it? It's like that. They hate it just to be on the other side, so as to avoid "conforming". I dunno if there are some who genuinely don't like it for genuine reasons, but that's just what I've seen.

I assumed as much, just thought somebody may have had a rational argument about it.

I loved the episode, myself, but I believe some people felt it was catering to the fans too much- like it could be made by the fans-, and had little meaning beyond that... also, that the episode relied too much on brony head canons, rather than doing something unique with the characters. I don't think everypony was happy about the plot, either... the only thing I really felt 'meh' about was the whole Special Agent Sweetie Drops thing. :l

Well the EQD poll on the 100th episode shows an overwhelmingly lead in favor of the episode

Only ones i see complaining are those with tender spots over the extensive fan pandering.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't seen anyone at all bash this episode. Where did you hear that? Just wondering.

Can't remember specifically, but just in the replies of recent threads. Usually it was just a side comment, not the main topic.

I've seen bother love and hate for it, just like any other episode.

Those who dislike usually do because of too much fanservice or how hyperactive/random the episode was. I have also seen people saying that the Doctor Whooves scenes were cringe-worthy.

I thought the episode was alright personally even if the gross queerbaiting between Lyra and BonBon happened.

Nothing was bad with it, it was an absolutely fantastic episode and my favourite one so far. It didn't take it'self too seriously and had fun :) 

I've seen bother love and hate for it, just like any other episode.

Those who dislike usually do because of too much fanservice or how hyperactive/random the episode was. I have also seen people saying that the Doctor Whooves scenes were cringe-worthy.

I thought the episode was alright personally even if the gross queerbaiting between Lyra and BonBon happened.

Mind too elaborate gross queerbaiting?  :wat:

It destroyed headcanons...a few at least.

If that's the case, people are forgetting the point of headcanons. :P

Otherwise, it's just people disappointed that the show isn't 100% how they imagined it.

They made a lot of the fandom's ideas cannon. They didn't have to have Vinyl and Octavia living together, but they did. And that's why I love this episode, they're allowing the fans to enjoy the show more with their headcannons becoming cannon. Well at least their realistic headcannons.

• Brohoof 1

Nothing. It's just some people expecting a plot that makes sense and character development in an episode that is meant to be just fanservice.

This. So much this.

I personally seen absolutely nothing wrong with Slice of Life, because it serves a completely different purpose than any other episode in the show. It was a huge thank you to the fans from the ones who make the show, and that is something incredibly special.  :lol:

• Brohoof 4

People actually dislike this?? Thats news to me and quite shocking to hear. It was a complete fanservice to the fandoms favorite characters. I loved it but the rampage was a bit overkill but i assume it was so that it could be the pony equivilant of her car in equestria girls rainbow rocks

• Brohoof 1

I know! I've seen so many people hate on it! I mean, why would they hate it? It gives all the background characters their own moment in the spotlight! I can't see what's wrong with it!

• Brohoof 1

Fortunately, we are the MAJORITY who love this episode and you guys still let these hates bother you... Imagine if you are the MINORITY one who like this precious episode that everyone bash them... I love MMC, Crystal Empire but a lot of people bash them ; (. Loving MMC is harder than Slice of life...

I thought this was the best episode ever!

Everything from Making fun of the bon bon and lyra shippers to Gummy being all philisophical and that heart warming message to all of us at the end of how we all make this world diverse and the community by bringing us all together with our differences and stuff.

This is a bad episode to bring to a new person to the fandom, but any fan would LOVE IT!

Plus, I mean....SERCRET AGENT SWEETIE DROPS!  I bet the meme's are already flying off the shelf on that one!

Where the heck do you go, cause no offense, you either managed to find the one site on the internet that's allowed to bash the 100th episode without a massive backlash or you're accentuating the negative and ignoring the positive on the sites you are visiting and I believe the latter a lot more than the former.

Personally I hate the 100th episode. Imagine the show is like a restaurant and the meal the episodes. Each meal is it's own steak or fish or main dish you'd prefer and is seasoned ever so lightly that it adds character and flavor to it but never to the extent that it overpowers the main food and on occasions some people add their own seasonings (Seasonings being an analog for fan works).  Now imagine for the celebration meal, instead of a well prepared meal, you get a thin ass steak coated in seasoning so heavily that it's not much more than a mountain of spice on a plate and everyone claiming it's the best steak ever. Or alternatively, the show is usually a Grade A steak and the 100th episode is a greasy $0.50 cheeseburger.  

And that's also why I get a tick whenever someone says it's their favorite episode or one of the best the show has ever done, cause i feel, I repeat that this is just how I feel, that they don't actually enjoy this show, that the story, characters and world can all be thrown out cause it's clearly not what the people care about.  While I know that's not true, the 100th episode is not what MLP is or ever EVER should be, not by a wide fucking country mile. 

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

To each his own, guys. Makes me kinda worried to post how I felt about the episode. lol

I loved the fact that they gave the background ponies some 'ground.

However, It felt kinda like a messy smore; as if they were trying to mush in as much stuff as possible in between the plot.

So in short, really didn't like it that much.
I don't know, but kept me interested though! Maybe I'm just not used to background ponies as much as I thought.

Edited by Nature of Fluttershy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Where are you hearing all the trash talk on Slice of Life? Curious because everyone here says they liked it.

Don't tell me one person that had an opinion on it that wasn't positive was what makes you think all this.

Why are bronies unable to handle criticism at all? They make drama on anti-bronies but I haven't seen one in decades!

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 2