Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did you like anything stereotypically girly before MLP?

SolidTwilight

If we are not strictly talking media here (It is in the general discussion soooo.....), I've always liked makeup and skirts. Really need to get into those more. I guess I would consider myself a partial transvestite, in that sense. Also would femguys be considered something "girly"? :P I like em. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 2022-06-10 at 3:00 AM, Fennecoonagon said:

I'mma second this! 

I was a big fan of the Powerpuff Girls.

I third this, but they didn’t really happen before I started watching My Little Pony. It’s more like they happened simultaneously.

(edited)

Some ppl believe Neopets was "girly" but then I guess girly ppl have the most fun online lol, I was OBSESSED with Kim Possible when I was a kid but AGAIN this is something I think is for everyone like PPG, I DID love playing Nintendogs when I was younger, but that's just kids being kids, I've always loved "cute stuff", or look to find a character that I think is the cutest in a show or game and kind of obsess with them. I'm sure I "could" recall more, like me saying Beanie Babies are collectors items, but when I was really young, I took tags off them bc I thought it was hurting them LMAO, cute shit.

Edit: I forgot the Sailormoon era on Toonami, I was looking back through posts and see ppl liking some pretty good media, that was good watching.

Edited by KingCorvus

I mean I am a girl but yeah ofc.

Powerpuff Girls, Barbie(I still love the Barbie movies), Monster High, Totally Spies!, Sailor Moon, Bratz, Ever After High, Lizzie McGuire(Hilary Duff in general), Disney Princesses(I love the Disney fairy movies as well. Vidia was my favorite), Makeup, fashion, Shopping,cute stuffed animals and more stuff that I’m probably forgetting.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Yep.  Even before the term guilty pleasure was something I was aware of (Grew up in the 80s), well MLP's original series as I mentioned elsewhere didn't strike me as that much different from the usual boy shows.

If there is any tools from the era that were good, DuckTales, The Real Ghostbusters in it's syndicated half and The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin.  At best also stuff outside the US acquired like The Raccoons.

Transformers, G.I.Joe, Captain N The Game Master for example, not so much.

But besides the stuff action oriented, The Baby-Sitters Club show from the 90s (Watched the Netflix version and pick up the GN).  Watched Rainbow Brite quite a bit.

Plus Madeline when it aired on the Disney Channel.

And though I do find Strawberry Shortcake Berry in the Big City to be a recommended watch, I have since 2020 watched the older shows.

Also watch the 2018 Polly Pocket.

• Brohoof 1

Yes-ish. I loved stuff like Kim Possible, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Totally Spies, Powerpuff Girls, all of which could be seen as girly. I never really cared what was seen as "boyish" or "girly" growing up so I didn't really think much about watching those shows honestly. I still don't care about gender norms really. Also almost all of friends growing up were women so like... You hang around girls as a kid you just get used to doing girly stuff honestly.

• Brohoof 1

Powerpuff Girls, Sailor Moon, and there was this one line of toys (that I can't remember the name of) that was aimed at girls but it had this really cool action feature that I was interested in. Never collected them, but I was really interested...

I did watch Cardcaptor Sakura and some other shojo anime series, but I had to be introduced to those by others. I wouldn't have known about them at the time.

Sadly, I somehow missed it, but I would have loved the original She-Ra cartoon as a kid. Because I mostly love the original now. :D The reboot was good. Not perfect, wouldn't call it superior, but it was surprisingly better than I thought it would be.

...Wait, does the original Care Bears cartoon count? :wacko:

16 hours ago, Samurai Equine said:

...Wait, does the original Care Bears cartoon count? :wacko:

Might be more gender neutral for young kids, but I do incidentally watch that.  Also enjoy Hamtaro.

A couple other viewing which are connected is Sofia the First and Elena of Avalor.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

hmmmm I'm trying to think hard on this and honestly other than some "chick flicks" (hate that term) there's really anything that was "FOR GIRLS" or "MADE FOR GIRLS" that I watched.

I enjoyed shows like Powerpuff Girls, My Life as a Teenage Robot, Kim Possible, but honestly those shows weren't for girls imo. They were good shows that appealed to everyone with female main characters and cutesy stuff BUT I will say there were definitely episodes that were clearly geared more to like being "girly" etc. but still these shows had action and drama and even though there were were parts when they talked about fashion and dating like guys are into these things as well they just dont talk about it in the same way. 

So I say no. That being said I didn't watch anything that was particularly made for boys/men either imo other then Ben 10 but I wasn't a massive fan of that. 

There's only 4 shows I can really ponder that I liked that were "FOR GIRLS" 

Winx Club, Totally Spies, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place

So the first two shows are definitely "FOR GIRLS" but again I wasn't a huge fan of them but I did watch them from time to time, more so totally spies. 

Hannah Montana and Wizards I struggle to label as "FOR GIRLS" because theyre just so funny and entertaining like other disney channel shows of the time but also super girly at the same time. The music for Hannah Montana very girls, both shows dealed with alot of friendship drama, boy drama from a girls perspective, dating life, fashion, but also had prominent male characters that made an appearance, general mishaps that can apply to anyone, magic, funny humor, etc. Idk but yeah those two shows for sure, every now and then I'll go back and watch some too lol, with my sister sometimes as well.

The one thing I can say that I enjoyed that was stereotypically girly was expressing my emotions lol 

Yes, of course guys do this from time to time, but I did it all the time! And I wasn't shy about it. Talking to people about friendship and what movies or tv shows made me cry or how something made me feel in great detail. Trying to get people to understand empathy and reciprocate. jajaja my guy friends didn't really understand me, shit I didn't understand me until I started watch My Little Pony!!!  

Of course, it sucks that sharing your feelings is seen as a girly thing cuz it really shouldn't. Things are definitely getting better in society now in regards to that but when I was younger, people were always trying to act tough. 

• Brohoof 3

I liked Powerpuff Girls, but I don't think they were really girly just because they happened to star female protagonists. I also vaguely remembered watching shows such as Hello Kitty and Sailor Moon when I was really young as well, and I enjoyed stuffed animals and plushes.

I also remember liking dollhouses but that might just be due to an interest in miniature scale models in general.

Edited by Pony Flutters
  • Brohoof 1