Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think we'll see a 200th episode?

Azureth

I feel that it probably won't get that far. Primarily because of what they did at the end of S3

with introducing twilicorn.

Once a series invokes a major series turning plot point, the next season has to top it to keep the viewers attention. That being said, they did top it in the S4 finale

with Tirek x twilight, DBZ style fight, ultimately ending with Twilight's castle replacing the destroyed Golden Oak library.

I feel there's only so much tension a series can heighten before it starts to feel samey.

As somepony else had said, Hasbro gets the final call. Even with the Brony fandom, its a 60/40 split between products sold and ratings:

As long as they have people watching (legally), they make money.

As long as they still sell stuff (Dolls, DVD's/digital downloads, books), they make money.

Hasbro = money. If FiM tanks, the corporation will pull it and reboot/G5 in a year or two.

I feel the issue is more keeping characters progressing and growing.

While I think Twilight had a WHOLE lot of lessons she could have learned prior to S3, after S3 They essentially neutered her personality a bit. Her negative traits were overwhelmingly excised, and she was transformered from a student into a voice of reason character who tended to give lectures and teach others instead.

Additionally, they nixed Celestia's role as a teacher, making her and twilight equals, which removes a huge number of ways to keep teaching and developing twilight. (not to mention making celestia awkward to make episodes dealing heavily with her now). Notice how, with the exception of amending fences, Twilgiht episodes tend to be about her teaching OTHERS instead of learning lessons herself, like with twilight time and the CMC.

as such, twilight's "ride", so to speak, has started to hit a bit of a dead end. They've developed her so much that there's not much ELSE to continue developing her on: she's a princess, she's got a castle, ect.

Where you going to take twilight now? While the other 5 can continue to grow, twilight's kind of at a point where dragging her princess ascension out more will feel like padding and overkill.

I don't think adding in more adventure or raising the stakes is the issue; its more that it'll be hard to continue dealing with twilgiht growing and developing in an organic manner, and without making her grow and develop she'll start to feel stale.

I think I already said this, but since they confirmed at least another 5 years in 2014, that means at least 2019, and since the movie is coming out in 2017, the movie probably won't be the end.

Eh, that's supporting the *toyline* though, not the *show*. As such they'll keep making toys till then, but they have no guarantee of making new episodes, yeah?

I doubt it because of the movie. It could happen somehow though. But these reminded that MLP will run for six seasons and a movie! I hope someone knows what's that's from, because I can't remember.

• 4 months later...

I kinda hope it ends fairly soonish. Whether it be the next season or the season after. Too much off a good thing ruins it. Just look at pokemon. The 1st generation were brilliant. 2nd generation was ok-ish. 3rd and on wards are utter garbage. Soon ideas and morals will run dim and the episodes will get worse and worse. If they want the show to last a long time, they need to develop a much longer and a more in depth story line to what they currently have. Where progress and growth is actually visible. Rather than having a different story per season that kind of follow each other. They need a series where each episode follows through. So rather than just 20 episodes completely and/or more or less irrelevant to one another. They need one big story that's broken down in to chunks (episodes). As you do with current TV series.

I don't know, that's what I think.

I disagree

Pokemon is still awesome and brilliant

Probably not, and I don't even want a 200th episode. That would be 9 seasons. Unless of course they're able to keep toy sales up for four (or more) years, and the show doesn't get overmilked and boring.

If there is a 200th episode I'd want heart and soul poured into it. After all, it would be momentous to reach that far and the writers would probably want to make it as amazing as possible.

It took five seasons to get to 100, and from what I understand the show will have 7 seasons tops (assuming the 2017 movie will end the series and takes place after a possible Season 7). By that estimate, we wouldn't make it to 200, but there's nothing wrong with that. Better to end a show properly than let it die a slow and ignoble death.

YES, mlp was one of the few shows that has shown cartoons arnt just for kids, with that now being a driving force/idea with cartoons todays shows NEED to think long term. Whether the 200th episode will be as good as the 100th that's yet to be seen, but I have good hopes on it. :)  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

No, I don't think we will see a 200th episode. But if we do, I hope it will have more Lyra + Bon Bon stuff in it! MA Larson make it happen!

Spoiler

Let me stay in the past for this one >_> Season 9 was such a waste!