Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

SolyWack

The Star Trek and Star Wars fandom stuck around for years. So did a lot of fandoms. You can see where that got them. I saw a couple other posts mentioning something along the lines of this, but if the community is patient, we will be rewarded. If Friendship is Magic ends, it will probably be for the best. Additionally, there will probably be another generation after it.

In fact, I toy with the idea that fans of the series will go on to shape the future of the show. Just like the writers of the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books, who grew up playing Sonic games. And, it just occurred to me, just like Lauren Faust did.

It may fizzle out, but I hope it doesn't. We can stick around too.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not too sure it'll die out too quickly to be honest.

I mean, look at the Portal fandom, we've not had an official new game since Portal 2 in 2011, yet we're still thriving. We pretty much live on fanmade content and almost treat mod releases like a release of an official game, and I'm pretty sure the Brony community will do the same when the inevitable end of the show comes along but with fanmade episodes, as I'm sure we'll have mostly found a way around copyright restrictions by then.

Oh, believe me, it won't. Too many people are invested in the fandom to just let it die off just like that.

• Brohoof 1

It will continue, just like any other cult phenomenon. Star Wars and Star Trek ended years ago, and the fandom is still alive and well, the same will happen with FiM. We'll continue to mingle, create content etc, long after the show has ended.

Entropy is what will happen. Ultimately the fanbase will erode over time(it could be argued this is already happening or at least that it has changed quite a lot since it began) unless Hasbro can pull off some kind of miracle or rush straight into the next generation. Things change.

There's more to the fandom than the episodes. People will continue writing fanfictions, making fan animation, creating fan art, etc. There will be new people who have many episodes to watch. There will most likely be generation 5. 

As there are many extremely dedicated fans I've seen, I highly doubt the fandom will completely die out. Sure, some will leave after awhile due to boredom, but there are countless fandoms out there still thriving even without the release of new content.  Maybe I'm being a bit too hopeful, but in my case, the ponies have had too much of a positive impact on my life for me to simply give up on them.