Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was Sunset Shimmer based off of Catrina?

RarityFan01

(edited)

q8oE6bl.png

• Both have red hair (Catrina's is more orange, but I would say red if it was on a person, so... yeah...)
  • Both use others to get what they want 
  • Both started out good 
  • Both turned evil for power 
  • Both turned evil before the events of the episode they took place 
  • Both used slavery 
  • Both were reformed in the end 
  • Both have an object as the source of power
  • Both experienced physical transformation when they used said source. 
  • Both attempt murder 

Sunset Shimmer and Catrina are very similar. So what do you think? 

Edited by RarityFan01
  • Brohoof 1

Archtypes are used all the time. You can compare a lot of characters to other characters due to this.

Then how are they different?

Snips and Snails never turned against Sunset Shimmer

Snips and Snailed didn't know her while she was good. 

Wow...I never even noticed this... :blink:

Reminds me of the rumor that Sombra might possibly be based off of Grogar.

They both involve evil rulers returning along with a kingdom which was gone for a really long time to try and enslave others which they fail and disappear again. Also, there was very little knowledge of both places, too. 

Grogar is far better than Sombra, though. 

Then how are they different?

Snips and Snails never turned against Sunset Shimmer

Snips and Snailed didn't know her while she was good. 

whadda fack you talking about

you do know what archetypes are, dont you?

They both involve evil rulers returning along with a kingdom which was gone for a really long time to try and enslave others which they fail and disappear again. Also, there was very little knowledge of both places, too. 

Grogar is far better than Sombra, though. 

No kidding. I still want Grogar for the season 5 finale.

He had to. It wouldn't make sense for another villain to bring eternal night time.

Grogar deserves a similar remake. Hopefully he'll get one. I want to see him revealed to be the ruler of Tartarus. The show's version of Satan. His backstory should involve him being defeated by Celestia and Luna. And Tambleon being the capital of Tartarus etc.

Yeah,

So both of them are just archetypes and nothing more. I'm retarded. :(

oh my god that self deprecation 

noooo no no im just saying archetypes are commonly used and so its not uncommon to find a bunch of similarities in characters.

oh my god that self deprecation 

noooo no no im just saying archetypes are commonly used and so its not uncommon to find a bunch of similarities in characters.

But they are too similar. I don't know what villain archetypes are that well, but they are extremely similar. So if everything is villain archetypes, then they both suck. 

Grogar deserves a similar remake. Hopefully he'll get one. I want to see him revealed to be the ruler of Tartarus. The show's version of Satan. His backstory should involve him being defeated by Celestia and Luna. And Tambleon being the capital of Tartarus etc.

I think there are limitations on what they can do that came from G1. 

But they are too similar. I don't know what villain archetypes are that well, but they are extremely similar. So if everything is villain archetypes, then they both suck. 

Uhhhh..... archetypes =/= poor writing

Would you say it does? It's up to the reader. Do you think your experience with both Catrina and Sunset Shimmer felt unique?

Yes. They just felt extremely similar. The only differences were: Sunset Shimmer was a pony/human, Catrina was a witch who could control the weather, and Snips and Snails, who worked for Sunset Shimmer, weren't shape shifters and they didn't know Sunset Shimmer before she was evil. I would say Sunset Shimmer didn't kidnap, but Snips and Snails did capture Spike. They just felt extremely similar. 

The way you explained it was very alike each other.

As you do know Discord is a reference to Star Trek, its very possible Sunset Shimmer is a reference to Catrina.