Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What makes spiders scary to you personally?

APegLegPirate

I just wanted to ask you guys what makes spiders so scary to you personally. Is it their legs, body, behaviour, size and/or speed? or just everything about them? It'll be interesting to see your thoughts on the matter.

I'd grown up kinda scared of them but I've always been fascinated in them, I now keep tarantulas as pets. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not scared of spiders. If i see one, I crush it, throw it in the garbage, and get on with my day.

The anticipation of when you get close to a spider and you want to kill it but you don't know if it's going to jump or run really fast or bite you or oh my god i'm getting scared just writing this i need to stop

It's their black soulless eyes. There was this one moment I was trying to toss my Jamba Juice away in my large recycle bin. There was a small spider on it, I couldn't care less depending on the situation.  But the little bugger was turning and rotating everywhere I go, looking at me with it's chelicera wiggling. I'm sorry but, nope. Just nope. I turned around and walked away as fast as I could.

It's one thing if they don't care about me, but if they're staring into my soul and is aware of my presence. I'm sorry but I can't handle that.

What is it with MLP Forums and spiders? xD  I love spiders; they're my eight-legged buddies - and my second favorite animal.  I think it's cool that the OP went from fearing spiders to keeping tarantulas.  Some people think a spider wants nothing more than to bite them; it's not true.  Unless they're in peril and significantly agitated (not usually the fault of the spider), they generally don't bite something that's way too damned big for them to feed on.  I'm not sure that I've ever been bitten by a spider, and I will give them (particularly harmless little jumping spiders) rides on my hands.

• Brohoof 3

Arachnids, insects and alike really seem to latch on to my presence. I don't have a problem with creepy-crawlies unless they venture to close to me, on me, or venture in a place unseen and could return and head towards me. I think why I have a problem with it then is explainable and understandable in itself lol

I'm not afraid of beneficial spiders, like orb weavers who trap harmful bugs for prey.

It's the invasive species, for instance, black widows and brown recluses, that give spiders a bad reputation. I listed those two because they're active where I live especially during the summer.

(edited)

I don't find spiders scary.

Spiders are extremely shy creatures, and tend to stay away from humans, or at least stay out of their way... Not only that but they are very important for the environment, as they help reduce the numbers of pest insects such as roaches, locusts, and Mosquitos.

I'm not afraid of beneficial spiders, like orb weavers who trap harmful bugs for prey.

It's the invasive species, for instance, black widows and brown recluses, that give spiders a bad reputation. I listed those two because they're active where I live especially during the summer.

They arent particularly invasive..... They are dangerous to those who mess with them, but they won't harm you if you just leave them be. Edited by Potatoes.
  • Brohoof 2

To be honest, I can't pin point what is is exactly about spiders  that frightens me.

I don't know if it's the way they move, the favt that they can bite, or what... They just scare me.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not afraid of spiders, however, i think the general universal fear of spiders among the human population has similar roots to the universal fear of snakes, it's an evolutionary trigger ingrained into our psyche's from our pre-historic ancestors.

First, they bite. That's a little frightening for me

Second, those dang legs. They're basically designed for the spider to move literally any direction on a Dr so you can't predict where it's gonna go T_T

I think it is their menacing appearance and behaviors (some of them). Despite the size of many spiders, they always tend to creep me out and I hate it if any of them are in my bubble, especially any spider that has any real size to them. At the same time I am also very fascinated by spiders, tarantulas and jumping spiders specifically. Not too sure why, though jumping spiders are said to be the most intelligent spider species thanks to their (supposed) incredible eyesight. That is really interesting to me.

Still, they freak me out if they are anywhere near me. X( There was rather large jumping spider in my room weeks back and that had me panicked and on edge for at least 30 minutes.  

(edited)

The fact that i can never see them be in the room unless they are walking around on the white part of the wall.... They could crawl on me and i wouldn't know if it was poisonis or not. I steer clean if someone tells me theres a spider in the room or i see it myself. The appearance as well generally since there so freaky looking. I am not dealing with somthing i can't find on my own right away. Another reason is from my mok telling me about when she killed one in her bathroom as a teenager and it risulting in 100 baby spiders all over the room....

Edited by CrystalNight

not really scared of them, this may seem barbaric to people

but when we were little me and my friends used to catch spiders and make em wrestle and eat each other

But all spiders are venomous :D

Oh really? :blink: I don't really know much about them actually.

I'll be more prudent then. (but I still like them)

Oh really? :blink: I don't really know much about them actually.

I'll be more prudent then. (but I still like them)

Yeah, all spiders are venomous. But, with tarantulas, most of the time they bite it'll be something called a "dry bite" where no venom is administered. It's just a defensive go away bite. I'm unsure if true spiders do dry bites or not, I would assume they do. But I would also assume the more aggressive species of spider would rarely dry bite compared to the species less aggressive.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, all spiders are venomous. But, with tarantulas, most of the time they bite it'll be something called a "dry bite" where no venom is administered. It's just a defensive go away bite. I'm unsure if true spiders do dry bites or not, I would assume they do. But I would also assume the more aggressive species of spider would rarely dry bite compared to the species less aggressive.

They rarely bite though. When I was a kid, I used to play with them and I've never been bitten.

And thank you for the infos. ;)