Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the most Severe Air Turbulence you've ever Exeprienced during a Flight?

Solid

(edited)

After a moderately uncomfortable roller coaster a few thousand feet in the sky, I was reminded of the worst turbulence I had. I explicitly remembered that during the most severe drop I felt virtually weightless for a few seconds, and several cups of drinks were spilt. I am positive that the majority of passengers did not board the plane with the hope of a bumpy ride, but turbulence is something that is uncomfortable yet common. We have the storm induced turbulence, which are more easily avoided, and clear air turbulences, in which planes are flailed around in the clear blue sky, sneaky and fairly uncomfortable.

While I am aware that planes are designed to take the most severe punishments airspace has to offer, and that my worst turbulence is far from THE worst turbulence, I nonetheless want to hear some of your experiences with turbulences.

How severe were they? Anything explicit you could remember?

Edited by Solid Scorpion

My very first flight! We were going to San Antonio, Texas... And low and behold there's a random Tornado Warning when we start getting ready to land. This was in March, too. -_- We circled around for what felt like an hour, and then when landing it was very bumpy. My family had been through many flights and said that had been the worst they had ever been through.

I don't remember it making a HUGE impact on me. I just felt bad for the lady that was in the bathroom. xD

(edited)

United 46 from Houston to Frankfurt last March, several hours into the flight. What was remarkable was how dam long it lasted (half an hour?), and yeah they aren't kidding that even big planes can experience it. It did keep me nervous despite knowing I'm in no danger, and it also didn't help that I ate too much barbecue at le airport (eating another meal prior to that, so I had a stomach ache. Luckily they had alka seltzer, ku story). Pretty unpleasant.

Edited by Microsoft Excel

The worst air turbulence I encountered was from Charlotte to New York a couple years ago. The plane was shaking for a while because we were flying into a storm, though I don't remember how long the turbulence lasted for.

Around 3 years ago from Nevada to Georgia. Plane went to a horrible thunder storm, thankfully no thunder hit the plane, but it was a lot of turbulence. 

Flew over a thunderstorm going from New Orleans back to Long Island. They rushed to leave before it came and it was shaky until the storm passed.