Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

New York City

AtomicStone

Hey guys.

I'm currently in the middle of planning a 5 day trip to the U.S in late September to visit this amazing city, but being a first time visit and residing in the UK, I could really do with some advice. So are there any locals or any of you who have visited before that could give me recommendations? Places to go? Places or things to avoid?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Brohoof 1

Hey guys.

I'm currently in the middle of planning a 5 day trip to the U.S in late September to visit this amazing city, but being a first time visit and residing in the UK, I could really do with some advice. So are there any locals or any of you who have visited before that could give me recommendations? Places to go? Places or things to avoid?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dominos has good food, you should definitely hit all the tourist hot-spots, take pictures. Check out grand central station.

I haven't lived there for about fifteen years, so I can't give you advice on places to go or areas to avoid, it has changed so much. Obviously you'll want to hit up Empire State Building. Other than just going up to the top, they used to have a really cool interactive ride/movie thing I would say is worth the few extra dollars. Statue of Liberty is a must see. A Broadway show, even if theater isn't really your thing. A lot of TV shows are taped there, usually you need to get tickets beforehand (this is one of the few free things to do!) If that interests you an online search should do. In case I haven't mentioned it yet, bring plenty of money. NYC is very expensive! One of the "touristy" things I highly recommend is a circle line boat tour that basically cruises around the island. It takes about four hours, but totally worth it. There are also a lot of museums, I recommend Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) and the Guggenheim. Also you might want to check out some of the art galleries.

Now for some advice that dose'nt involve where to go. Don't rent a car! The public transportation system will get you where you need to go much more effectively. The subways are pretty easy to use and are the cheapest, and most efficient way to get around. Stay away from people dressed as superheros and cartoon characters in Times Square, most of them are scam artists, and they can be aggressive. For the most part Manhattan is layer out in a numbered grid, so it's really easy to find places if you know the address. If you only take one piece of advice I offer it's this: STREETS GO EAST/WEST AVENUES GO NORTH/SOUTH. AVENUES ARE NUMBERED ONE ON THE EAST THROUGH TWELVE ON THE WEST. STREET ADDRESSES COROSPOND TO THE AVE.(ie 725 23rd street would be near seventh Ave on twenty-third st) STREETS ARE NUMBERED FROM THE LOWEST NUMBER IN THE SOUTH AND GET LARGER AS YOU GO MORTH. (ie if you are at sixty-eigth street and you need to be at seventy-second street, you would need to go four blocks north). Disclaimer: the grid system is less reliable south of around eighth street. If you take a cab, knowing the directions and telling the driver the route to take will keep the fare down. They love to take tourists on expensive rides if you don't know better. People may try to hand you fliers or advertisement of some sort, refuse to take it! Too long to explain the scam (if they even still use that one) but even if it isn't a scam you still have to carry a stupid piece of paper around til you can find a garbage can. A free publication called the Village Voice is a great resource for finding things to do (concerts, off broadway plays, art galleries, movies etc.

October is a great time of year to visit one of the greatest cities. I hope this helps, and have a great trip!

• Brohoof 1