Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there anyone here who isn't into Pokemon or Anime?

CosmicHooves

Now let's get this straight.

I have NOTHING against anyone who has an interested in these two things.

It's just that I'm not interested in any of these things and because of that I just feel like I'm feeling like I'm a minority here.

So I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there who is just the same.

• Brohoof 2

Well I'm one who isn't into either of those things although I've met various other people on various threads now and again who mention they don't like anime to.

Not sure about Pokemon, isn't that anime anyway?

Yep!

I tried getting into anime a while ago, but it's just not for me. Pokemon was pretty popular back in elementary. I did give it a try, but it just wasn't for me either.

I still don't understand why people like pokemon, the first generation was okay, I have to admit, but the others? I don't wanna affront anyone, but doesn't these generation pokemons look ridiculous? I mean I just don't get it.

I used to like anime but I fed up with it. It's just so rare to find a worthy one to watch.(Yes, I don't really like fanservice.)

I'm not a part of either. The only anime's I watched and enjoyed was Girls und Panzer and Sakura Trick. That's it. No more. 

I'm not a fan of anime or pokemon. I liked the first generation of pokemon but that's about it. I've seen like 5 animes that I've actually enjoyed watching.But the majority of anime is just over sexualised little girls that are underage and viewers get carried away with them and all of a sudden they are now borderline paedophile.

I'm fonder of the spin-off series "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon" than I am of the main series.  No subsequent main series title has enthused me quite as much as the first gen titles.

Several of my favorite films are Japanese animated, but I moved somewhat away from anime and towards manga over time.

So, while I will play this or that Pokemon game and fondly remember this or that Hayao Miyazaki film, I'm not as actively into either Pokemon or anime as I once was.

Yep, you're a minority. On the internet, in places such as KYM, Reddit, Tumblr, 4chan, etc in particular, it's extremely rare to find someone who does not enjoy at least one of those two. Most people, including me, tend to enjoy both of them at a reasonable pace. I have actually played almost all of the Pokemon games that have come out, give or take a few, and I do watch anime when i'm bored (Really liked Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, and Madoka).

@@Kerberossz,

Bruh, Geodude is literally a rock with arms. 

True. I don't really know the new generation pokemons but I have seen a few, for example:

binacle.jpg

Suddenly Geodude makes sense.

I'm not the biggest fan of anime and pokemon, I did go to twitch plays pokemon to see how it was doing these days, still funny, but because of the chat, though not as funny as the start9 riot.  I try to get into a show but can't really watch any with out losing interest.

True. I don't really know the new generation pokemons but I have seen a few, for example:

sig-3898149.binacle.jpg

But then what about Voltorb, a living Pokéball?

100Voltorb.png

• Brohoof 1

@@Kerberossz,

To be fair, Gen. 1 has it's share of oddities.

jynx.pngmr-mime.png

And in the other generations, there are a lot of designs that are completely badass!

absol-mega.pngluxray.pnghydreigon.pngshaymin-sky.pngaegislash-blade.pnglucario.pngsalamence.pnglugia.png

Every generation has their bad pokemon, and every generation has their great pokemon. It's best not to judge one generation based on one or two bad designs.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I don't hate PokewithoutanaccentbecauseI'mtoolazytoscrollupandcopy/pastemon, but I think it's overated. I could never finish a SINGLE game, especially since even the new gen doesn't have a FRICKEN AUTOSAVE FEATURE IN KEY PLACES.

Anime? It's a acquired taste. Overated in the slightest to, like Pokemon. I've watched one or two, not my style, but there's was some stuff I liked.

Edited by Star-Lord
  • Brohoof 1

I don't hate PokewithoutanaccentbecauseI'mtoolazytoscrollupandcopy/pastemon, but I think it's overated. I could never finish a SINGLE game, especially since even the new gen doesn't have a FRICKEN AUTOSAVE FEATURE IN KEY PLACES.

Oh, so that's one of your problems? Well, remember that you can save anywhere, so save often then. Problem solved.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, so that's one of your problems? Well, remember that you can save anywhere, so save often then. Problem solved.

Have to put DS down for a minute to clean up after sibling. Takes longer than expected. DS dies. So long hours of work.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem, that's just what made me stop playing Pokemon X. I was all the way at the path to the championships, until that exact scenario happened, and I was warped all the way back to the snow cave before you capture the legendary.

(edited)

I'm a huge Pokémon fan myself. I've been a fan for many years and have learnt many interesting facts about this franchise. However, I am not against anybody who doesn't like the series. If you don't, that's understandable. The series can get a little repetitive at times, even for me. Granted, I don't agree with every opinion with these people who dislike it, but I will probably respect their opinions regardless.

As for anime... yeah, I'm not a fan. I love western animated cartoons, but not so much with anime. The only anime I am fond of is the Hayao Miyazaki films, but that's it. I mean, I really want to like it, or just one series of anime, but no matter how hard I look, I just feel a little uncomfortable. Anime is kind of too crass or surreal for my tastes.

sig-3898318.sig-3898149.binacle.jpg

But then what about Voltorb, a living Pokéball?

sig-3898318.100Voltorb.png

I really want to say this... can we just come into the conclusion and say that Pokémon has always been quite consistent with the quality of their designs?

As a striving character designer, seeing many of these fans bicker about this kind of bothers me. I mean, Game Freak approved these infamous designs for a good reason. With designing, you have to consider many things, namely if it's recognisable even with a silhouette, using reference images to make it more realistic, trying to balance out simplicity and detailed, seeing if a certain colour palette works... I could go on about how hard it is. Because of this, Game Freak might've rejected many designs, probably maybe something two-hundred or whatever. They don't approve every single design, otherwise that'll damage their industry a little.

And just because they're based off of inanimate objects or that they look "ugly", doesn't mean that they're horrible designs. Binacle works because it has two heads. That's easy to recognise. Voltorb works because it's round and is based on a Poké Ball. That's also easy to recognise. If they focused on animals and animals only, that's when they start to run out of ideas. Heck, many of these inanimate Pokémon make sense, as in Japan there's a group of mythological creatures called tsukumogami, which are objects that become sentient after living for a century.

Not one generation of Pokémon is better than the other when it comes to their designs either. As a matter of fact, all of them have been consistent with their designs and even have a unique theme when you look further. 

Old generations focus on realism. According to one of the creators of Pokémon, the series started out as an AU to Earth. Because of that, many Pokémon looked more like animals and evolution felt more realistic as well. It may not be the greatest choice to make Magnemite evolve into Magneton, Cubone into Marowak or Pidgeotto into Pidgeot, but that's to invoke actual evolution.

New generations on the other hand focus on diversity and uniqueness. Although the designs got more unrealistic anatomy wise, they instead went for something that's just as good when it comes to designing. With this unique style, you can recognise many Pokémon, like Garbodor, Klefki, Vanilluxe, Honedge, Throh, Swirlix, Cofagrigus... all of these are recognisable as they're all something that Game Freak hasn't done yet. Because of that they're actually very good design wise.

Sometimes I kind of wish that there was somebody here that understands the designs, both old and new, but at this point there isn't. But even if Game Freak screws up a little, I'm still appreciative with what they do regardless.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 4

Not big on anime, though I've enjoyed a couple.

Love Pokemon, though. I'll buy every main series game that comes out.

This.

People always say that the design has gone downhill since gen 1, but gen 1 features such classics as "literally-a-birdmon", "basically-just-a-ratmon" and "blackface"

• Brohoof 1