Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe vs. Gravity Falls vs. My Little Pony: FiM

Blue Moon

71 users have voted

1. 1. Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, or MLP: FiM

• Steven Universe
    • Gravity Falls
    • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Steven Universe, and Gravity Falls are some of the most popular cartoons airing right now on television. But which of them is your favorite?

Vote above and then post below why! :D

• Brohoof 7

Bruh, Steven Universe and Gravity Falls are the hypest shit.

Steven Universe is great overall; good characters, good episodes, good story, good music, good everything. Plus...Garnet is amazing and perfect and I love her.

And Gravity Falls has Bill Cipher so it's automatically good.

So both honestly. (T_T)

• Brohoof 8

Never watched other shows seriously, but seen them enough to make the desicion that MLP is superiour what comes to feeling of the characters and the fact that most of the cast are females it attracts me more than those shows that are ruined with male characters.

I can feel happy watching MLP I can feel like a little girl inside of me and enjoy the fun, relate with the characters and be happy. I don't know about the other shows but ponies look more cute in my eye

• Brohoof 1

Definitely Steven Universe. It has many charming characters, the story arcs are intriguing, the art style and music is gorgeous, the humour is clever and the history behind Gems is very interesting. I would also say the very same things about Gravity Falls, but Steven Universe only wins by an inch. I do love both so much, though.

MLP:FiM is still a good show and has its strengths. The characters are still fun and the animation is really great. But although it's still a fun show, Gravity Falls and Steven Universe do all of the things that MLP:FiM does right a lot better.

• Brohoof 5

Its hard to choose! The only thing I like about Gravity Falls is Bill cipher Making chaos everywhere (Like discord!) But I don't really like Mabel that much.

Yea she's really silly and all but she takes everything for fun! and her jersey thing is a little over rated. along with her brother, Dipper Pines.

But with Steven universe. Man I LOVE that show! I watch it every week or such depending on what's going on and what I have to do. The storyline was very well explained in the show and What I really love about this show was the way Steven cares for his family and friends. You can tell he wants to protect them whenever he wants to!

So in overall, I can't decide. All the shows have quality time about what happens, why, how and many more! Sorry for the Mabel fans out there but its my opinion anyway..   

I never like SU I know kill me I just never thought it was that good. However Gravity falls I did like epically at the beginning. However I feel that it got really confusing really fast, but that could be just me.

So I guess what I am trying to say is although I do like gravity falls, I like MLP more. I mean hell i joined a forum about it so yeah..

I would say that at the moment I'm going to say MLP, simply because S.U. doesn't really seem to appeal to me for some reasons, but I'm starting to wonder if I could watch Gravity falls or not, cause from informations I've been gathering about it so far I think it would be an alright show, mainly because of that strange Bill Cypher caracter.

But for now, I stuck with MLP as a favorite out of all these tree.

I have not seen Gravity Falls at all, only heard about it so the choice for me is between SE and FiM.

My choice is FiM. Steven Universe is a great show, the more I watched it the more it grew on me. I especially love how they have well done story arcs with only 11 minute episodes at their disposal. For me though, FiM hits more sweet spots. I adore the characters more, I love the morals, I love all of the references that are sprinkled throughout the show and I honestly like the animation style a bit better. So FiM wins my vote.

Both are fantastic shows though.

• Brohoof 2

Now for the serious opinion I have.

My Little Pony easily. I originally went in to see it to see why my friends liked the show so much, I really did not expect to like it. But after seeing the first couple of episodes I really got invested in it and to me it's a show that got better and better as it went along. I've really grown to love the show to bits. Mind you there are plenty of other shows that I like better but still, MLP is up there as one of my favorites.

As for Steven Universe, I saw a few episodes of it at a Brony meet-up and it's not a bad show but it didn't really grip me as MLP did and I've been meaning to watch more episodes but I haven't gotten around to it. The SU Fandom Tirade on the Bronies in response to a EQD writer wanting to open-up a SU-News site, killed my enthusaism for the show though. I'm not going to generalize the SU fandom, in fact I'm sure there are great people in the SU fandom. We have some bad-eggs in our fandom so I'm not going to judge the SU fandom in its entirety but after seeing all that hostility towards the MLP fandom though, I have become pretty wary of it. I might watch more of Steven Universe but I'm not interested in interacting with the fandom outside of people I know who are fans of it, or people on other fandom based sites like this one that happen to have SU fans in it.

I haven't tried Gravity Falls, I do want to check it out but its one of those things I never get around to.

• Brohoof 1

GF > MLP > SU for me, though I really enjoy all three.

Gravity Falls’ main strengths are its humor, setting, nice mixture of serious and silly episodes, and its main story in general. While its secondary characters aren’t as good as SU’s, it’ll still surprise you with a Pacifica or a McGucket from time to time. And it goes without saying that its main characters are fantastic too. Dipper is best boy :)

One thing I don't like so much about MLP compared to the other two is its style of developing characters. Probably comes from the old "Dear Princess Celestia..." letters that provided structure to all the older episodes, but I feel like MLP isn't as good at showcasing character traits and flaws that aren't central to the episode's main conflict. GF and SU will do stuff like having Dipper be slow to forgive people who’ve mistreated his sister, or Pearl being dismissive of humanity in general, and just expect you to remember it and assume that it’ll be resolved later. It’s something I wish MLP would do more often, but even so, it has probably the best main characters of the three. Five seasons of character development and exploring interactions and relationships will do that.

As for SU, it took me a bit longer to warm up to, but I was won over by its willingness to feature extremely flawed characters and to tackle some very emotional subjects. As I mentioned before, I think SU’s secondary characters are amazing. It’s not every show where you feel like you could pull just any character off the street and have them carry an episode, but SU has achieved it. Props to it for featuring a genuinely great father character as well, which is something I’m not used to seeing in cartoons as well. Pearl is my favorite character, but Greg’s da bess.

• Brohoof 4

I haven't seen Steven Universe; Probably need to check it out, going by a couple things I've heard about it. A friend recently got me into Gravity Falls, though. Part of the reason I went along with it was because of Rob Renzetti. Sadly, while Gravity Falls is definitely an entertaining, enjoyable, all around solid show - and I'm really into it now and looking forward to the next episode -

Well, coming off of MLP, it's a major disappointment how Gravity Falls handles female characters. I've talked about this to my friend and others before, but it's a major Bechdel Test failure. The cast is extremely heavily male-dominated (both the main cast and the whole roster of minor characters) - of the 2 prominent female characters one isn't even a proper character and seems to literally exist just to be Dipper's crush. Her prominence in the opening would suggest her to be on equal footing with secondary character Soos (who's male), but no - Soos gets plenty of screentime, focus and exposure, and Wendy... doesn't. In fact, in the initial episodes, before the early episode where Dipper starts crushing on her, we barely *see* anything of her despite her being just as much a part of the setting as Soos is. And what we do see are just archetypical "cool older girl" traits, so I actually managed to predict Dipper's crush. Everything from her character design to her personality is just "stuff a boy would like". In the latter she strikes a particular balance between tomboyishness and feminity, in the former she's got implausibly long red hair, pale skin... And her entire role in the episodes is always centered on her being Dipper's crush. The one time I remember her talking to Mabel alone... was about Mabel's boy troubles. Granted, they tried to fix this by giving her more of a role in a couple S2 episodes, but I felt it was too little, too late.

And speaking of Mabel. The other prominent female character, being Dipper's twin sister - Now, firstly, I'll admit there's plenty of times where Mabel helps Dipper out and so on and so forth - It isn't nearly as unbalanced as with Wendy. However, I still feel the two Pines twins aren't on completely equal footing - The show still seems to favor Dipper as being the protagonist more so than his sister, and this is made more blatant in some episodes than others - Like the one where Dipper has insecurities over his status as "the hero" and whether it's entirely derived from

. Also, Dipper acts like a protective "big brother" towards Mabel a number of times... Despite Mabel being five minutes older than him. What's up with that?

The show also seems to talk about "girliness" and "manliness" a bit more than I'd like. It isn't that obtrusive most of the time, but... Like how one of the villains is made an object of humor by characters repeatedly commenting on his girliness/comparing him to a girl/mistaking him for a girl - When he doesn't really strike me as especially "girly"! And the episode where Dipper frets about his lack of "manliness", and much is made of how he listens to "girly" Icelandic pop group BABBA. The moral at the end of that episode may or may not help... (Also, there's a minor character called Manly Dan, who's very manly)

I can't decide as all three are some of my favorite cartoons not only of this decade but most likely just in general.

They all things that I really love about them and they are all around the same level of quality.

So I pick all of the above.

(edited)

I love Gravity Falls and Steven's Universe for the adventure in them. However, I just don't feel as connected to those characters as I do with MLP. I think a lot of it comes from the immaturity the shows have. Gravity Falls has the Pine Twins be children, with adult-ish thoughts (Dipper mostly), and Steven is just a child...not a very smart one at that....They fall in line with the CMC from MLP....growing up and learning how the world works and where they may/may not fit in the world. Being an adult, I am beyond that aspect, and the CMC is more focused on self discovery more than the other two shows (Steven comes close many times, and builds upon his experiences, but I'm just not as invested in him as a character because I don't like his idiocy {he's a mixed bag in my opinion}, whereas the CMC have moments of growth and regression in their overall character, but not sustained idiocy). The Mane 6, in comparison, actually goes through things that we as kids AND adults have to deal with. Gravity Falls doesn't do much to grow the characters, and the characters are too focused on the plot to bother with anything deeper than peer pressure (except Dipper and Stan for a short blip, which was sweet and heartwarming).

GF is all about the plot (with characters just "existing")

SU is all about the characters (with plot added in to keep things rolling)

MLP has a good balance of both plot and character (due to the actual slice of life nature of the show balanced with action stories at the bookends of the seasons)

The other two shows miss out on this balance. SU can be considered slice of life, but the focus is on a character that is a complete child, a deadbeat but interesting father, and aliens that interact little with the people they live near. It's all about Steven for the most part. It's hard for me to call it "slice of life" when Steven's life is drastically different from every other character in the show. Gravity Falls I cannot consider slice of life because the whole premise revolves around a strange town with strange happenings that is beyond any norm Dipper and Mabel know of prior to them arriving at Gravity Falls.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Steven Universe and really like Gravity Falls. However, as an example of the significance these three shows have in my life; I got a MLP tattoo recently because of how much impact that show has had on my life these past 5 years....I really doubt I would desire a Steven Universe or GF tattoo, ever. They are great shows, and I am actually getting back in to my rock hound research due to the Gems. The characters in SU are so deep and dynamic (Pearl is my favourite because of how I sympathise with her). My blurp above is not to "bash" the shows, they are all great, and the nitpicks I point out are generalized and fairly barren in explanation compared to the plethora of things that make the shows great.

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Steven Universe is awesome, but..

I have not seen Gravity Falls at all, only heard about it so the choice for me is between SE and FiM.

My choice is FiM. Steven Universe is a great show, the more I watched it the more it grew on me. I especially love how they have well done story arcs with only 11 minute episodes at their disposal. For me though, FiM hits more sweet spots. I adore the characters more, I love the morals, I love all of the references that are sprinkled throughout the show and I honestly like the animation style a bit better. So FiM wins my vote.

Both are fantastic shows though.

This pretty much sums up my opinion.

MLP > SU > GF for me. Gravity Falls is a good show, but it didn't really hook me in as much as Steven Universe and MLP did.

I liked Gravity Falls before it was cool B). Dont mean to brag (but i secretly do).

I think mlp is better out of the 3, but um... Well your asking the question on a brony site, not exactly unbiased.

• Brohoof 1