Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people make their oc's over powered then the most powerful characters

NebuLord/Starburst

When I browse ocs, I see people say they are "Mightier then the strongest character in the canon" I understand that the creators of the show, product etc making them better then the oc's. But you guys decide, are ocs stronger then characters like Celestia fair to the canon and other fans of that show?

• Brohoof 3

Making your OC stronger than anything in canon, is one of the traits of a Mary Sue, and makes your OC garbage.

Most of the time, people do that, because for some stupid reason, they think limitations are bad...when GOOD characters, have limitations...that's what makes them GOOD characters.

Same shit applies to alicorn OCs...

• Brohoof 3

Because it gives them access to

But seriously if it's their prerogative why not? It's not necessarily a bad thing. All on execution (though most of the time it is uninspired wish fulfillment).

• Brohoof 4

It wouldn't be so bad if they were only here and there, but they're EVERYWHERE. My OC does have a kind of Mary-sue like power, as he can fly much faster then the speed of light and has oversized wings, but he still has his weaknesses. And the problem is, most of them are alicorn OCs, and that basically singles out this one group of people that I don't like.

But you guys decide, are ocs stronger then characters like Celestia fair to the canon and other fans of that show?

dude, caliber cant hold a candle to celestia's power, but he gets called OP'ed all the time.

it really depends on the critic on whether or not someone's OP'ed, because in the end, its an opinion, not a fact.

• Brohoof 1

lol, and im here like: "i can swing my sword, sword"

The weord i find is that my brother is a peagesus for the wonderbolts and the rest of my family are earth ponies.. nopony knows why..

The problem comes from a variety of factors. Firstly, most people who make OCs don't know things about how to make a good, unoriginal(non-Mary Sue) character. Nor do they know about things such as OC and RP etiquette. Many just think of the cool things they want for their OC, and chuck them all together. After all, more is better, right?

Secondly, it's their OC. Naturally if you're making a character of yours(unless you're experienced in the field of character creation/story telling), you want your guy to be something cool. Something that you really like and would be 'awesome' to have. It's just that natural trait of wanting to be above having faults(which ironically becomes a fault in itself when applied to creations).

It's just a case of not knowing how to make a good character from an external viewpoint, as well as wanting to have a character that appeals directly to you. It is your OC.

• Brohoof 4

I think an OC being "Overpowered" can work, if done right.

Saying somepony is "Mightier than all canon characters" doesn't exclude them from emotional and mental weaknesses. They could be super strong, fast, and magically powerful, but have some deep character flaws that keep them from being perfect. Or say, it's a very old character, somepony or something who has somehow existed a long time, and is only that powerful through thousands, maybe millions of years of practice, training, study, and growth. They're only like that now, but it took them time to get there.

Super powerful characters can be fun and interesting, when done right. Obviously not every story and RP should have them, most probably shouldn't, but they do have their place. If they're literally 100% perfect though, with no growth, then I can see the complaints.

• Brohoof 2

I think an OC being "Overpowered" can work, if done right.

Saying somepony is "Mightier than all canon characters" doesn't exclude them from emotional and mental weaknesses. They could be super strong, fast, and magically powerful, but have some deep character flaws that keep them from being perfect. Or say, it's a very old character, somepony or something who has somehow existed a long time, and is only that powerful through thousands, maybe millions of years of practice, training, study, and growth. They're only like that now, but it took them time to get there.

Super powerful characters can be fun and interesting, when done right. Obviously not every story and RP should have them, most probably shouldn't, but they do have their place. If they're literally 100% perfect though, with no growth, then I can see the complaints.

People tend to forget those characters are really interesting, but instead, they make them OPs from start and the whole plot revolves around them. If one wanna make an OP OC more powerful than the canon characters, having a god like OC works as long as it serves the role of mentor, Mr exposition, or other non main or recurring role, it's fine, but if you wanna make them OP, or practically flawless and stuff, you better start them as flawed and developing to the OPs and really virtuous you wanna make them

• Brohoof 1

I had no idea there were that many from what others have said. lol

Being that powerful isn't that fun IMO, having limitations and something to work towards is a better challenge.

My OC for example is pretty tough for an Earth Pony, but she doesn't outclass everything.

• Brohoof 1

I always hated these kinds of characters, especially if they are those laser shooting everything killing alicorn types.

I like OCs that are mostly normal, maybe have 1 or 2 special traits, which are not for fighting and that's it. I never liked action orientated Pony OCs.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I like to think Nit Pick (my oc, not my user name) is not over powered. He's an average unicorn with a natural talent to be neat and tidy... which also coincides with alphabetizing, sorting, painting and drawing (it takes longer for him to finish a drawing or paint a painting longer than a pony with the natural art talent) and to stretch it further, speaking properly. He does get socially anxious most of the time and he has a unicorn disability (that I came up with) called Four Clover Syndrome which is like a unicorn autism/Aspergers.

Then there's my other OC Scoop Itup, a pony who has a love for making frozen treats and runs a dessert shoppe. He's a grade A hypochondriac but his MOD (manager on duty) keeps him in track. I haven't come up with a name for the MOD yet but she's a mare-sexual and has a platonic relationship with her mare-friend.

Long story short, (too late) I have interest in making simple characters. I avoid thinking "wouldn't it be cool" and make it simple.

Edited by Nit Pick
  • Brohoof 2

People just like to make their OCs "cool", I guess.

My opinion is that I actually don't mind them; if someone wants to make an overpowered OC, then I don't like really care since it's not my OC. The only problem is with RPing; overpowered characters can make the RP no fun for the other people involved. 

My OC Starshine is pretty regular... in fact, she's almost too regular; she doesn't have any special powers and she's a normal weather pony like most pegasi :P. Yeah, it would be boring if all OCs were like that, but most have some sort of crazy backstory or ability, so I think OCs like mine balance it out :)

I suppose the whole point of roleplay is to become (at least for a while) something that you're not in real life.  It's an escape from the mediocrity of the real world.  In that sense, there's no harm in it.

However, when everybody else is doing the same thing then you end up with hyperinflation of skills and magic.  I'm sure most of you have seen 'The Incredibles', and just like Syndrome says "When everyone's super, no-one will be."

• Brohoof 1

Some people think that having an over powered OC will make them look cool when really it makes them look cliche' as hell

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm... Will Guide is the only pony who can do Disney Magic (good or bad). However, Disney Magic has little to no effect on the world of Equestria, except for stopping Disney Villains from potentially trying to take over Equestria with the knowledge of Equestria they've learned. Would any of you consider this ability use Disney Magic to be any of the following: overpowered, awesome but impractical, or crippling overspecialization?

I really would like your opinion.