Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Worst fears when you get older?

Rye_B_P

Being aware that I'm dying, and being unable to do the things that normal people do. If I can't wipe my own ass, if I just sit and fester in a bed all day... I would rather not exist at all.

Dying alone (Like if I have an accident/heart attack/stroke while nobody else is there to help)

Dementia.

Developing a severe degenerative disease like ALS.

Facing the end of my life and feeling like I wasted it.

I have a lot of relatives, especially cousins, who are older than me. I sometimes worry that one day I'll lose them all one by one as they die, like a morbid countdown until it's my turn to go too.

I don't mind getting older. I actually feel more myself than I ever have without all the hormones making me act irrationally. I don't have a fear of dying or pain, because of all the medical stuff I've been through. At this point I consider myself lucky to be alive, and am grateful for each day I have.

I am concerned with the amount of Alzheimer's and dementia in my family though. It's on both sides, and at 60 my mom is starting to show serious signs.

Because I have a way to go before I'm considered "older" though, I do worry about the death of my father. Of course I don't want to lose him, but more importantly, if he passes, my mother will become my responsibility. She has no income, no savings, and no life. She will eventually live with myself and my husband, along with my autistic brother. It's going to be a very fully house.

I am concerned with the amount of Alzheimer's and dementia in my family though. It's on both sides, and at 60 my mom is starting to show serious signs.

Dementia is more complicated granted, but for what it's worth, no link has yet been found between genetics and the likelihood of developing Alzheimer's. 

My worst fear is that I become as closed-minded and depressingly bitter as my father, and share my misery with other people. >.<

• 2 months later...

In order beginning with the worst:

1. Dying alone
  2. Going bankrupt
  3. Not growing positively in the ways I want to
  4. Getting some kind of horrible disease like Alzheimer's
  5. Not accomplishing my goals in life
  • Brohoof 1

1. Being dead

2. Being homeless

3. Losing my eye-sight, teeth, etc.

4. Wasting all opportunities I had at getting a good job & education

5. Still feeling the same anxiety, fear, and doubt that I feel today

Oddly enough, my biggest fear involving getting older is that I live for too long. With the advances in medical and life preserving technology, it makes me worry that one day the average person might have a life span that could potentially last for something around 120 years or more. That, in my opinion, is an unhealthy amount of time to live and grow older and more fragile every single day. Perhaps I'm picky though, because I wouldn't have a problem with cryogenics.

I guess mine would be the feeling of becoming... insignificant. A man past his prime who has nothing more to give to the world. I know that's not necessarily true of any elder, but still, just the idea of living out the rest of my days incapable of contributing much of anything is a little upsetting.

I definitely know my worst fears for when I get older.

1. Hearing Loss/Tinnitus.
2. Arthritis/Joint Pain.

Yeah, that's pretty much the biggest things.

~ Miles

Driving. I do not want to drive when I grow up. The road, the GPS, the traffic, the lights, the car signals, how to work the car, and maybe even more have to be paid attention to constantly all at once. I'm not old enough to drive yet, nor have I taken driver's ed, so driving seems impossible.

I have two fears for when i get older, going blind and loosing my memory.

I would hate to be blind at any stage of my life, it would mean i could nolonger do anything i love.

I also fear loosing my memory in some way, either general memory loss or full Alzheimer's, a family friend has Alzheimer's, he doesnt even know who his own children are. After meeting him i decided that i would make sure any tattoos i get were reminders of who i am at the time of getting them, sort of a permanent story of my life forever inked in to my skin.