Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When you listen to the lyrics in The Smile Song, do you hear them from Pinkie's point of view of trying to make someone else smile, or from the point of view of someone that Pinkie is trying to make smile. I hear them from Pinkie's point of view.

For reference, the song with lyrics on screen:

• Brohoof 2

I never really considered this...if I understand you correctly: if I'm in a good mood I'll hear the song from Pinkie's point of view, since I'll listen to it and feel all encouraged to run outside and make people smile. Haha. But when my days are dark and lonely and I feel sad, I'll hear it as if Pinkie's singing to me to make me smile since I usually listen to it when I'm sad so that I can get happy and smile, smile, smile. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

When you listen to the lyrics in The Smile Song, do you hear them from Pinkie's point of view of trying to make someone else smile, or from the point of view of someone that Pinkie is trying to make smile. I hear them from Pinkie's point of view.

For reference, the song with lyrics on screen:

That's the awesome thing, it works both ways. One more reason it's one of my fave songs in this series  :lol:  :muffins:  :smug:  :please:  :icwudt:  :pinkie:  :sneer:

Edited by manic
  • Brohoof 1

When I first heard it, and I mean the VERY first time I heard it, I was going through a rough time and in the middle of a bad depression. That song hit me like a virtual hug right when I needed it, even made me tear up. I've seen it from multiple perspectives since then, even using it as a way to delve into her character, but for that first initial listen it felt like she was almost singing it for me. 

One interesting thing about the song though is Pinkie NEEDS to make ponies smile. Its her life mission and she is completely dedicated to it, something made even more evident by her secret party chamber in this latest episode. Her life would not feel worthwhile if she couldn't do this, she even admits this in the song. 

Another thing she reveals in this song, which is very subtle, is She isn't exactly Pinkie, but rather Pinkie is who she strives to be. this can be interpreted through her addressing herself in the first and third person throughout the song. She is Pinkamena Dianne Pie, but she hypes herself up and puts on the persona of Pinkie to make ponies smile. When she hasn't been able to do it, the persona has tended to waver, her hair deflates, and she shows her real self. Not that Pinkie is a lie, but its more like a stage performers persona, like the Great and Powerful Trixie. She is dependent on making others smile, it really moves her when it actually happens, and its what keeps her from being depressed. 

Think about how emotional she got when her friends found her party chamber and said how touched they were that she did so much to make sure their parties were perfect, organizing and planning, taking all their likes and dislikes and fears into account. She started crying, because that's how much she cares. 

This song foreshadowed all that though, and that's why I love it so much. 

• Brohoof 2

When I first heard it, and I mean the VERY first time I heard it, I was going through a rough time and in the middle of a bad depression. That song hit me like a virtual hug right when I needed it, even made me tear up. I've seen it from multiple perspectives since then, even using it as a way to delve into her character, but for that first initial listen it felt like she was almost singing it for me. 

One interesting thing about the song though is Pinkie NEEDS to make ponies smile. Its her life mission and she is completely dedicated to it, something made even more evident by her secret party chamber in this latest episode. Her life would not feel worthwhile if she couldn't do this, she even admits this in the song. 

Another thing she reveals in this song, which is very subtle, is She isn't exactly Pinkie, but rather Pinkie is who she strives to be. this can be interpreted through her addressing herself in the first and third person throughout the song. She is Pinkamena Dianne Pie, but she hypes herself up and puts on the persona of Pinkie to make ponies smile. When she hasn't been able to do it, the persona has tended to waver, her hair deflates, and she shows her real self. Not that Pinkie is a lie, but its more like a stage performers persona, like the Great and Powerful Trixie. She is dependent on making others smile, it really moves her when it actually happens, and its what keeps her from being depressed. 

Think about how emotional she got when her friends found her party chamber and said how touched they were that she did so much to make sure their parties were perfect, organizing and planning, taking all their likes and dislikes and fears into account. She started crying, because that's how much she cares. 

This song foreshadowed all that though, and that's why I love it so much.

I think you hit the nail on the head. As Pinkie said in Pinkie Pride, "Parties are serious." She takes her job throwing parties, to make people smile and have fun, very seriously.  Pinkamena plans the party, but Pinkie hosts the party. It makes me happy not because I hear Pinkie singing to me to make me happy, but because I relate so much to Pinkie's point of view.

• Brohoof 1