Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Wii u shops and controllers

Lexamena

(edited)

Will someone please explain (plainly) the difference between the eShop and the Virtual Console, as well as the difference between the Wii U controllers and which ones you need for games coming from the different sources (ie, which controller you need for eShop and which you need for VC). And why isn't there ONE damned controller compatible with everything that is playable in the wii u no matter the source?!

Like for example, can the Wii U Pro controller or the game pad be used on the Ocarina of Time VC downloadable game? Why or why not? It might not be worth downloading it if I have to buy a high dollar controller, and I already have OOT for the Wii, and 3DS, and Gamecube anyway.

Thanks!

Edited by Lexamena

(edited)

The virtual console is what was the e-shop before the e-shop and was actually on the Wii though since you can download your Wii information onto your Wii U that can transfer over as well. The e-shop first started with the 3DS version and then when the Wii U came out they decide to call its "virtual console" the e-shop as well. The e-shop is pretty much the same thing as the virtual console except with the additional features of not only being able to download re released of old school games but also being able to download new games, indie games as well as demos, trailers and various apps. 

The main controllers you can use for the Wii U are the wii remote which works exactly the same as it does on the wii, can be used in some Wii U games as well as being able to be used to play Wii games on the Wii U. The gamepad works like a combination of a tablet with some buttons you would see on a traditional game controller. It is necessary to access the Wii U menu and the touch screen is used in some Wii U games.

The Wii U pro controller was made for fans like myself that prefer more traditional controls, it can be used with some Wii U games but its primary function is to be used for e-shop games. There is also an adapter that hooks up to the Wii U where you can hook up a gamecube controller to it which was released during the Wii U Smash Bros though with how fast it sells getting it may be as difficult as booking tickets to ComicCon.

The Wii U pro controller probably could be used on Ocarina of Time though I am not sure about the gamepad. I have never tried to play any games that were originally released for the Nintendo 64 using either so someone who has tried that firsthand could probably answer that better than me.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's so confusing to me! I've owned every console and every handheld (even lucked out and got the MM limited 3DS version from GS). I've never really used eShop up until this point because I always preferred games on cartridge (or disc) plus it seemed like a huge waste if downloads could not be transferred between units. There was a time when I swore off buying the new Ds's because I couldn't bring my games from the older one! Though now that I can, I'm more apt to download stuff. Anyway, so ya, I'm new to the virtual stuff on wii u and all the different controller options confuse me too. Just want to get one that will work on everything, or just use the wiimote or game pad if possible.

Edited by Lexamena