Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Last YouTube video you watched?

Lunar Glow

(edited)

Diversity In Animation | The Best Representation In Animation (And Worst)

In talking about the subject, Veridis Joe brings up a few interesting and agreeable points, but he forgets something I think. As a gay male and I'd say probably an autistic one as well, I can tell you that yes, being represented is nice and yes it allows me to easier relate to certain characters like Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty in particular. BUT representation can be handled BADLY in and of itself and it can actually backfire.

A great example of this (outside of animation) is Captain Janeway as well as Commander Chakotay both from Star Trek: Voyager (being that Janeway is a woman and Chakotay is ethnically Native American). Both of them are badly written characters. In Janeway's case, she's basically a total hypocrite that lacks the intelligence necessary to really be a functional starship captain and it feels like she may have actually been given a pass because she was a woman. As for Chakotay, he's a stereotype and a half, really. I liked how he was portrayed in the first season, being that his character design was more centered around being a Maquis rebel with a reasonable distrust for the Federation. When that fell through though, he basically became just a stereotype and a harmful one at that. 

Nonetheless, he has quite a few good points on the subject and I for the most part agree with what he says on it. It has it's purpose and when executed well, it works. It allows people that are of some minority group (LGBT, racial minorities, et cetera) or even women to find a relatable character and cling to it. But it needs to be given context and it's generally best if the characters are just there and not really being stereotypes.

Edited by ~Angel Dust~
  • Brohoof 1