Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[MAJOR UPDATE - PLEASE READ] Poniverse Mascot Summerpalooza Contest!

Batbrony

(edited)

Just one question before I begin my drafting; would it be too out of line to make two of the mascots siblings? I know that it said in Wordplay's bio that he's the only one with siblings, but I have come up with a (hopefully) interesting dyanmic between two of them as sisters.

Also, I was about to have the story take place several decades after season one, but then I realized that would have been an awful idea logistically, as this has to stay congruent with other stories. Thankfully, it's not integral to my vision (although it would have been nice).

However, I have come up with a plot device involving cutie-marks, so I just hope that we (the writers) will be allowed to play around with that.

Edited by TopQuark

Well, yes. But if you have a winning fic per mascot, one fic could mention Buffy's good friend Viola who lives in Canterlot, while another talks about Nova attempting to introduce the uptight Viola when she visits Ponyville from Manehattan.

Or, are these fellows actually in Equestria? Is their canon just... internet-wise, I mean?

OK, I see what you mean there.  That would go back to our disclaimer about authors having to make minor changes to their stories if need be.  But that should only have to happen if there's something that DRASTICALLY is different between two fics.  And yeah, they're in Equestria, just a whacky Equestria where the Internet exists.

Just one question before I begin my drafting; would it be too out of line to make two of the mascots siblings? I know that it said in Wordplay's bio that he's the only one with siblings, but I have come up with a (hopefully) interesting dyanmic between two of them as sisters.

Also, I was about to have the story take place several decades after season one, but then I realized that would have been an awful idea logistically, as this has to stay congruent with other stories. Thankfully, it's not integral to my vision (although it would have been nice).

However, I have come up with a plot device involving cutie-marks, so I just hope that we (the writers) will be allowed to play around with that.

We'd really rather you didn't make mascots siblings who aren't.  If you're really interested in something like that, like I said, hold off just a tad because Pony Roleplay is getting some stuff clarified on their end about their mascot situation which may allow for siblings to be involved with their guys.  And as for cutie marks, don't be afraid to play around with that, especially special talent wise.  I can't guarantee that how you describe the cutie mark will be maintained as final design, but you should be able to nail their special talents down just fine given their profiles (even if minor changes may need to be made).

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

OK, I see what you mean there.  That would go back to our disclaimer about authors having to make minor changes to their stories if need be.  But that should only have to happen if there's something that DRASTICALLY is different between two fics.  And yeah, they're in Equestria, just a whacky Equestria where the Internet exists.

Okay, that just sunk my whole vision. I was going to go for more of a pre-microelectronic world (manual film procesing/splicing, tube radio) dominated by magical devices. As for the sibling thing, my idea was to have Viola and Viridian be sisters. That's disappointing; just as I was getting hyped to write this thing. :(

If making sure that the world types line up is going to be a problem, maybe it would be a good idea to set a few more parameters so that one author doesn't include something that should be impossible in another authors story.

Edited by TopQuark
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, that just sunk my whole vision. I was going to go for more of a pre-microelectronic world (manual film procesing/splicing, tube radio) dominated by magical devices. As for the sibling thing, my idea was to have Viola and Viridian be sisters. That's disappointing; just as I was getting hyped to write this thing. :(

If making sure that the world types line up is going to be a problem, maybe it would be a good idea to set a few more parameters so that one author doesn't include something that should be impossible in another authors story.

Aw man, sorry about that.  This is certainly going to be a trickier contest than usual considering we're going to have to make sure certain aspects line up for these fics, but I have confidence we'll be able to pull it off.  Keep brainstorming, maybe you'll come up with something else!  Maybe just try to rework your ideas into something that could work for our needs.  :)

• Brohoof 1

Aw man, sorry about that.  This is certainly going to be a trickier contest than usual considering we're going to have to make sure certain aspects line up for these fics, but I have confidence we'll be able to pull it off.  Keep brainstorming, maybe you'll come up with something else!  Maybe just try to rework your ideas into something that could work for our needs.  :)

Perhaps, but I was really in love with my idea. I suppose I could still write it for kicks, but where's the fun in not having others recognise my 'artistic genius'? ^_^ Do you think there's a chance I could still be elegable for the contest, but forfeit the honour of being canonized if, by some stroke of devine intervention, I win?

@@Batbrony,

Computers exsist with these guys? :wacko:

Well since they are all mascots of Poniverse and its various websites, yeah, in their world computers and the Internet are a thing.  Just roll with it, think of it as an alternate dimension of Equestria.  If Fallout: Equestria can be a thing, I see no reason why this should be a stretch.  ;)

Perhaps, but I was really in love with my idea. I suppose I could still write it for kicks, but where's the fun in not having others recognise my 'artistic genius'? ^_^ Do you think there's a chance I could still be elegable for the contest, but forfeit the honour of being canonized if, by some stroke of devine intervention, I win?

Ya know, if you're that crazy about the idea, I say go for it, IF you really want to forfeit any chance for canonization.  At the very least you might get an honorable mention if the fic is good enough.  :proud:

P.S. Just make it explicit that you are forfeiting a chance for canonization when you submit it if you write that.

• Brohoof 2

Well since they are all mascots of Poniverse and its various websites, yeah, in their world computers and the Internet are a thing.  Just roll with it, think of it as an alternate dimension of Equestria.  If Fallout: Equestria can be a thing, I see no reason why this should be a stretch.  ;)

So as far as typing keys on a keyboard......magic? :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

I don't know, maybe, maybe for other ponies they just have really big keys, who knows?  Use your-

spongebob_imagination_by_kssael_display_

• Brohoof 2

Ya know, if you're that crazy about the idea, I say go for it, IF you really want to forfeit any chance for canonization.  At the very least you might get an honorable mention if the fic is good enough.  :proud:

Hey, if I can get even a mention, I've still won something, right? Although, the possibility exists that I wont be able to finish it in time, as I leave for Europe on Monday, and won't be back until August 1st. Then, I need to prepare for BronyCon. I can write about a thousand words an hour while writing off the top of my head, and faster with a story outline, so if I work hard through my trip, I just might be able to pull it off.

You remember the two-button type writers? My theory is that you hit the keys at different angles to type different characters. That would require alot of different angles to have a decent selection of characters, but maybe the Equestrian language has fewer letters than the Latin alphabet.

• Brohoof 1

Hey, if I can get even a mention, I've still won something, right? Although, the possibility exists that I wont be able to finish it in time, as I leave for Europe on Monday, and won't be back until August 1st. Then, I need to prepare for BronyCon. I can write about a thousand words an hour while writing off the top of my head, and faster with a story outline, so if I work hard through my trip, I just might be able to pull it off.

You remember the two-button type writers? My theory is that you hit the keys at different angles to type different characters. That would require alot of different angles to have a decent selection of characters, but maybe the Equestrian language has fewer letters than the Latin alphabet.

Yeah, I think I'm stickin' with magic. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

You Unicorn elitist. What about the hard-working Earth pony who just want's to check their AOL? :toldya:

IMO Earth Pony's are master race and best race. ^_^

But due to modifications, I'm writing magic. :P

• Brohoof 1

She was based off of Shift

Wait a second! Does this mean people will be... writing FANFICTION about me?

01d.png

I'll be keeping an eye on this contest! Make sure that Buffy wins and becomes the Hero of Harmony of something.

Good Luck to all you author type ponies ... erm ... people. Also bonus points if you ship me with Viola. <3

Viola/Buffy superior ship.

• Brohoof 7

I feel like I can really relate to Buffy, especially the "being loud because people don't notice you and you feel lonely" bit.

I think I might actually try to write a story this time, though it might end up being short, I have thought of an interesting thing with Buffy, Viola and Viridian. 

• Brohoof 4

(PArc) Zeusking19 said:

> [saturday, July 4, 2015 8:40:16 AM Zeusking19] Publish your Nova Blast x Wanderlust shipfics now

"A picture is worth a thousand words."

So here you have it, (PoniArcade) Nova Blast x (PonyMC) Wanderlust.

OTP. #canon

559b0b0a267eb.png

"DanG JOINS THE CONTEST!"

Couldn't resist a smash bros ref while "registering".  I've got something in mind for one of the mascots that's right up both our alleys, perfect thing to base a story on. 

2 questions though: Does the mascot have to have the perspective in the story or can we write it from our own characters perspective as an observational piece with the mascot of our choosing being the subject of observation (making both main characters or does the mascot have to be THE main character) and as for copywrites, do we need to site the owner of our chosen mascot for the story or can we just write about the mascot and just cite it as (insert ponyverse site here) mascot?

• Brohoof 1

Virdian fic writers, you better make them good! Because you know i'll be reading them all with much gusto! :D

• Brohoof 3

2 questions though: Does the mascot have to have the perspective in the story or can we write it from our own characters perspective as an observational piece with the mascot of our choosing being the subject of observation (making both main characters or does the mascot have to be THE main character) and as for copywrites, do we need to site the owner of our chosen mascot for the story or can we just write about the mascot and just cite it as (insert ponyverse site here) mascot?

Feel free to tell a story from another character's perspective so long as the mascot is still a main character.  As for copyright disclaimers, we'll be releasing an update soon letting you know exactly what winners have to do in order to be able to accept their prizes, but if you wanted in your story description to cite Poniverse as the owners of any mascots used, that would be great!  Keep your eyes peeled for updates in the coming week.

• Brohoof 2

Ok so i have a few questions

1: i am 14 so will my story be accepted?

2: Where would i send my story to get it judged and reviewed?

3: Since this will be my first fanfiction could i have an example of how to lay out my story if you know what i mean

but just as a reminder, we also have so far this disclaimer about them:

I hope it does not impose any difficulty for creating a new story. With having to use a template, we are already somewhat restricted as to content. I hope that the templates are finalized soon so I don't have to worry about whether I have to rewrite something closer to the deadline. Things like cutie marks.

• Brohoof 1