Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My little Pony Fps Prototype

Nintenboy195

You're putting the game up for sale you say...ugh. -.-"

You do realize you have no experience in Unity and you can't even code (because programming is way over the line for you at this moment), yet you wanna make a game that you will charge money for? How old are you again?

First of all putting your first game for sale ain't gonna do you any good, trust me. And to be honest, i was trying to be nice and help you as much as i can with your game and getting into game development but SELLING IT, REALLY?! I think you need to wake up from your dream and realize that if games were so easy to make and sell, everyone would do it. If you wanna sell the game and actually have people buying it and enjoy it then you will need to meet a quality standard that is not low at all. You can get any games on Steam, but not all are selling and making money.

Your current graphics look like they were stolen from different parts of the internet and put together in 10 minutes and they probably are. And also you nicked some water assets and physics from the Unity Store (or they may offer it for free, i don't know) and put them in a game where you're trying (from what i can tell) to create a cartoon-ish style even though they clearly don't have a place in the game.

The hoof thingy looks awful and its way too shiny (again, there realism vs cartoon battle in your game) like its made of metal and not flesh.

The hair...really? I don't know how the idea came to you because its just so stupid. It kills any sort of immersion every time you look up. You aren't supposed to see the inside of your head every time you look up, are ya? That would've been better if you actually knew how to restrict the camera so you can only see just the fringe of the hair and not the whole bloody thing.

And even if you did that you will still have to make hair that looks like hair and not a plank of wood painted and maybe add physics (for immersion :P).

The shadows look awful and pixelated (from what i can remember, forgive and please correct me if i'm wrong).

You also need to be either a good writer, hire one or be damn lucky with the story to get any kind of attention for the game because there are a lot of first person shooters out there and the only thing that can make your game different from them is if you have a cool, new mechanic in the game or a damn good story to tell.

You need good optimization or else your game is gonna be laggy as shit.

You will need to either get good at 3D modeling or hire one for you NPCs.

Animations! NPCs move, shoot (if they shoot), and do other things that you may wish them to do and for that to look good you need good animations or else the game won't look appealing at all if you decide to make a video presenting the game and some NPC is sliding to their destination or have shitty and laggy animations. You will also need animations for your playable character. Oh, there is something else: THE HOOF IS ALWAYS IN THE AIR! How is the character supposed to walk with just 3 hoofs if its a pony? You will probably need to make a walking animation for the legs so it doesn't look weird.

If you still wanna add multiplayer you will really need good optimization, a computer just for the server to run on and some money every month to pay for it all, full 3D models with animations for the player's characters and learn how you can make your server secure and bulletproof to prevent players from hacking.

If you manage to do all those things then you can try to sell the game, otherwise keep it just as a small project. Or, of course, do as you wish and probably fail and who knows maybe you will actually end up on a "Nerd3 Hates..." video one day. :D

Well, I don't know if your upset or not, but I'm quite flatered with you Ken. You are the first person who ever have me true criticism. I consider you a true friend. To take time out of your life to help me make what could become a better final product. But I have a few corrections to say. This did not take ten minutes at all, nor did it take an hour. It could've taken around 24 hours probably. I don't have too much time every day because of school. It took effort. And the water is provided by unity. And the textures are open source, they were from an old super mario 64 mlp themed texture pack. Character models will be changed completely, and I will be funding that personally. Thank you for the feedback that I have been needing for so long now. It is greatly appreciated.

• Brohoof 2

You're putting the game up for sale you say...ugh. -.-"

You do realize you have no experience in Unity and you can't even code (because programming is way over the line for you at this moment), yet you wanna make a game that you will charge money for? How old are you again?

First of all putting your first game for sale ain't gonna do you any good, trust me. And to be honest, i was trying to be nice and help you as much as i can with your game and getting into game development but SELLING IT, REALLY?! I think you need to wake up from your dream and realize that if games were so easy to make and sell, everyone would do it. If you wanna sell the game and actually have people buying it and enjoy it then you will need to meet a quality standard that is not low at all. You can get any games on Steam, but not all are selling and making money.

Your current graphics look like they were stolen from different parts of the internet and put together in 10 minutes and they probably are. And also you nicked some water assets and physics from the Unity Store (or they may offer it for free, i don't know) and put them in a game where you're trying (from what i can tell) to create a cartoon-ish style even though they clearly don't have a place in the game.

The hoof thingy looks awful and its way too shiny (again, there realism vs cartoon battle in your game) like its made of metal and not flesh.

The hair...really? I don't know how the idea came to you because its just so stupid. It kills any sort of immersion every time you look up. You aren't supposed to see the inside of your head every time you look up, are ya? That would've been better if you actually knew how to restrict the camera so you can only see just the fringe of the hair and not the whole bloody thing.

And even if you did that you will still have to make hair that looks like hair and not a plank of wood painted and maybe add physics (for immersion :P).

The shadows look awful and pixelated (from what i can remember, forgive and please correct me if i'm wrong).

You also need to be either a good writer, hire one or be damn lucky with the story to get any kind of attention for the game because there are a lot of first person shooters out there and the only thing that can make your game different from them is if you have a cool, new mechanic in the game or a damn good story to tell.

You need good optimization or else your game is gonna be laggy as shit.

You will need to either get good at 3D modeling or hire one for you NPCs.

Animations! NPCs move, shoot (if they shoot), and do other things that you may wish them to do and for that to look good you need good animations or else the game won't look appealing at all if you decide to make a video presenting the game and some NPC is sliding to their destination or have shitty and laggy animations. You will also need animations for your playable character. Oh, there is something else: THE HOOF IS ALWAYS IN THE AIR! How is the character supposed to walk with just 3 hoofs if its a pony? You will probably need to make a walking animation for the legs so it doesn't look weird.

If you still wanna add multiplayer you will really need good optimization, a computer just for the server to run on and some money every month to pay for it all, full 3D models with animations for the player's characters and learn how you can make your server secure and bulletproof to prevent players from hacking.

If you manage to do all those things then you can try to sell the game, otherwise keep it just as a small project. Or, of course, do as you wish and probably fail and who knows maybe you will actually end up on a "Nerd3 Hates..." video one day. :D

Yo, chill with this. I know these graphics weren't stolen because I was the one that drew some of them, also I am his programmer and 3d modeler. Cut him some slack and stop being such an edgy asshole, it's his first game.

• Brohoof 3

Yo, chill with this. I know these graphics weren't stolen because I was the one that drew some of them, also I am his programmer and 3d modeler. Cut him some slack and stop being such an edgy asshole, it's his first game.

at least im not the only one who was getting pissed at that person.

I do wish you luck on you game. Keep up the good work.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I don't know if your upset or not, but I'm quite flatered with you Ken. You are the first person who ever have me true criticism. I consider you a true friend. To take time out of your life to help me make what could become a better final product. But I have a few corrections to say. This did not take ten minutes at all, nor did it take an hour. It could've taken around 24 hours probably. I don't have too much time every day because of school. It took effort. And the water is provided by unity. And the textures are open source, they were from an old super mario 64 mlp themed texture pack. Character models will be changed completely, and I will be funding that personally. Thank you for the feedback that I have been needing for so long now. It is greatly appreciated.

I wasn't upset though reading what i said again i do sound a little rude. I was trying to make you see how stuff works so you won't end up with your dream ruined. My point was that you shouldn't have so high expectation from such a project and you shouldn't even consider charging anything for it but rather do it as a learning project for now. Later when you get better and have more experience you could improve it and release a better version that might actually sell. Otherwise i see you ending up with no people buying your game and no feedback because of it, so you don't know what you did wrong and on what you could improve. That happens a lot with new game developers.

From your profile i see you're just 15 so do you really think its a good idea to put money in your first game?

If you're rich then go ahead and do it but if not then maybe you shouldn't give money away. I see you have a programmer but even though the graphics might look good (if you pay professionals) will the gameplay be good as well? Investing money in just one side of the game and not all of them will end up breaking your game. On one side you have great graphics and all, but the gameplay sucks and the game is buggy because just one programmer works on it and if it isn't paid to do so might not give as much attention to the task as someone who is paid would. I do not know what skills your programmer has but this applies to all sides. Music and sound for example.

Well first of all even if i was rude i provided feedback on what he has NOW and i didn't see any other post here to do the same. And if you didn't get the point i was trying to make i'm just trying to make him understand that he shouldn't try to make such a big game and have so high expectations from it.

I should've said taken rather than stolen.

Oh and thanks for calling me an asshole for providing useful feedback to your game ;)

Maybe i was a little rude, but you shouldn't expect everyone's feedback to be "oh that's so cool! you're doing a great job" when the game actually has problems. I know you're going to say "the game is in early development and things will change" but i comment on what you currently have to offer. If you didn't want feedback for your game so early then why did you create this post in the first place? :P

*i sound so rude i'm so sorry xD*

Edited by Ken
  • Brohoof 2

If you have a more concrete idea in mind and can express it well enough try something like KickStarter, but people will be offended if you change your mind about it and won't support if you aren't clear about what you want to do. I do not know enough to know the odds of it being KickStarted and Hasbro may have a fit that you are using the idea of mlp to get money from it, idk. Maybe try researching similar things online.

• Brohoof 2

Hello everypony! I wanted to show off a new project that I've been working on by myself. Its a Pony Fps that I hope will someday turn into something more! I just started developing it a few days ago. I have no idea what I should call this yet, but i would like to hear anyponys opinion! Please tell me your thoughts! Thank you.

Please have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvZVsEtCPUI

Wow that is awesome! I have Unity too, and well. I'm kinda new at it. Havnt done much with it all. 

But you there, have something good going! I would love to see the development of this project. Hope it goes far! :) 

• Brohoof 2

Wow that is awesome! I have Unity too, and well. I'm kinda new at it. Havnt done much with it all. 

But you there, have something good going! I would love to see the development of this project. Hope it goes far! :)

Thank you Scratch Pony! Its great to hear something positive once in awhile...

• Brohoof 1

Thank you Scratch Pony! Its great to hear something positive once in awhile...

It's actually good to mostly get positive feedback because it will encourage you in the long-run. ;)

Though that doesn't mean criticism will be non-existent. -_-  Constructive, respectable and understandable criticism can still be taken into account. :squee:

But if there is criticism that is just plain empty with barely any thought and looks like it's mostly harassing you or meant to mentally and emotionally hurt you (even if they are troll comments :okiedokielokie: ), those are not meant to be taken seriously and therefore should not be recognized as serious and legitimate feedback. :unamused:

Never dismiss true criticism because it will help you with improving yourself overtime and therefore you will come out more strongly with a better product or service with the theoretical and practical experiences you have been getting to get to that point.  :)

• Brohoof 2

It's actually good to mostly get positive feedback because it will encourage you in the long-run. ;)

Though that doesn't mean criticism will be non-existent. -_-  Constructive, respectable and understandable criticism can still be taken into account. :squee:

But if there is criticism that is just plain empty with barely any thought and looks like it's mostly harassing you or meant to mentally and emotionally hurt you (even if they are troll comments :okiedokielokie: ), those are not meant to be taken seriously and therefore should not be recognized as serious and legitimate feedback. :unamused:

Never dismiss true criticism because it will help you with improving yourself overtime and therefore you will come out more strongly with a better product or service with the theoretical and practical experiences you have been getting to get to that point.  :)

You were thinking about me when you wrote this?   :blush:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those who didn't know, I am making a side Project of Pony Fps Prototype. 

Here are a couple videos and a link to the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EtNOwtqa4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxfeZMPbp0&feature=youtu.be

https://mlpforums.com/topic/144227-fallout-equestria-project-rebirth/#entry4280325

Edited by Nintenboy195
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Hello everypony, if you have not noticed, I have cancelled these projects. I explain why in this vid! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2DcqHhX4bU

Well, i don't wanna say i told you so but...ya kinda had it coming. Even though i'm not sure how much you learned from these experience, i guess you're starting to see the point i was trying to make all those months ago. Now look...i'm gonna give you some advice, you can take it or ignore it. Your problem.

Drop Unity...drop any other game engine. If you wanna make games, you must understand how they work. You can come back to them when you understand how stuff get together and how code works, what can it do and what it cannot do.

Start off with Python, then after you feel you have a good understanding of the language go and learn how to use PyGame, and start making games. Any games, really. Clones, stupid ideas that don't really work...just challenge yourself. Don't make a game with 'oh i wanna publish this and want people to play it an enjoy it' in mind...fuck that. It ain't gonna get you anywhere in the early stages. Just do shit. And see if you have any more ideas (they don't have to be good ideas, or even logical ideas) on what to add to that shit. When you run out of ideas, start another shit. Then after like 20 shit games and 2-3 months of practice, make a good game with PyGame.

Plan it out very carefully like your whole life depends on it. Make it good. Drop stupid ideas that don't work, and keep the good ones. Don't try to add as much shit as possible, cuz you're gonna end up with shit. Polish it, work hard on it and then release it. Don't ask money for it. Its your first game to be released to the world! You want as much feedback as you can get, from everyone! Maybe is not gonna be good. But who cares. You tried, and got something called 'experience', which is more important than positive reviews. 

After that you should be able to pick your own technologies and your own path. Maybe you'll go and work with Java, or go back to Unity and learn C++/C# to be able to use Unity as its best. The important thing is that you now should be able understand better what you wanna do, how to do it, and how that works.

Well, i did say i ain't gonna bother you anymore, but i do hope this helps you...or at least i hope you won't hate me more for posting again on one of your threads.

P.S. - Sorry for sounding a little bit rude a few months ago...i didn't actually mean to be rude, its just how i expressed myself back then.

Edited by Ken
  • Brohoof 1