295 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

On rewatching this episode something occurred to me. Twilight went to Canterlot to reconnect with her old friends Twinkleshine, Lemondrops, Minuette, Moondancer and Lyra Heartstrings. Only we don't see Lyra all episode so we never find out if Twilight leaving hurt her feelings as well, or for that matter if finding out the people she's constantly spending time with (Twinkleshine, Lemondrops and Minuette) had a reunion with Twilight and Moondancer but didn't bother to invite her to join in. I think I'll need to go back over the old comments in this thread to see if anyone else noticed that.

On another note why was the booksellers cutie mark a beehive?

Edited by Senko

Every time I watched this episode, something felt off. I wanted to love it so much that I convinced myself that I did. Then I watched and read more of people's reviews and on this rewatch it hit me. Twilight is really unlikeable. She isn't meeting these ponies again because she cares about them, it's because she feels guilty. Every action made to help Moondancer isn't made because she cares about Moondancer, it's just because of her guilt. Minuette isn't even sad when Twilight sees her and Spike mentions it. Yet Twilight still apologizes. This wouldn't even be a problem if the episode calls this out, but it doesn't. Spike has that one line, but he doesn't confront Twilight about it. 

This episode also breaks canon. In "A Canterlot Wedding", Twilight said that Shining Armor was the only pony she accepted as a friend. She knew that she didn't have friends and mentioned it many times in the early seasons. Minor continuity breaks are fine, but when your entire episode is based on broken continuity, that's a problem. It broke "Rainbow Falls" and it breaks this episode.

Score: 2/10

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

It was a good episode, that utilised some of the characters that we've barely seen, as a means of constructing a plot. Did it work? To me it did. I'm interested in these characters and I kind of want to see more of them.

Seeing Twilight reconstruct her friendships after such a long period of time, was heartwarming. While Moon Dancer was rather stubborn, I could actually kind of relate to it, giving me a better understanding of her character. I avoid certain things, so I don't get hurt by them. I've already been hurt enough and I don't like reliving those experiences. Despite this, I was actually cheering Twilight on throughout the episode. I wanted Moon Dancer to understand friendship, as I've been there before.

I don't think I enjoyed it as much, compared to the first time watching - but the episode is still definitely good in my eyes :).

Edited by Cash In

• 1 month later...

I liked everything except for Moondancer. I found her to be a horribly selfish pony who needed a dose a reality. Namely, it’s not all about her.

Friendship goes two ways. If Moondancer tried to reach out to Twilight and got ignored (and throwing one party that Twilight didn’t attend doesn’t count), then she has a right to be angry. Instead, she apparently wrote her off after that one party. Twilight moving was the final dealbreaker...except did she not know why Twilight moved in the first place, and why it was rushed? Has she never heard of Nightmare Moon? Twilight had to uproot her life without warning. She didn’t have time for goodbyes. Sure, she could have contacted people after, but that goes both ways. I would have a hard time believing that Moondancer didn’t immediately know where she was. This episode acts like Twilight had planned her move ahead of time and never said anything.

Also, Moondancer treats all the other friends much worse. They came to her party, and it didn’t matter to her. Did she apologize for that? Did she apologize for cutting them off because she couldn’t have Twilight? Sure, they didn’t mind, but that doesn’t make her actions okay. 

On 7/25/2018 at 9:03 AM, bigbertha said:

This episode also breaks canon. In "A Canterlot Wedding", Twilight said that Shining Armor was the only pony she accepted as a friend. She knew that she didn't have friends and mentioned it many times in the early seasons. Minor continuity breaks are fine, but when your entire episode is based on broken continuity, that's a problem. It broke "Rainbow Falls" and it breaks this episode.

Forgot about that. This does seem like a hole in the plot. Or does this mean Twilight didn't even consider them as friends back then?

Whatever it was, it did surely look like Twilight only met them because of her position: Princess of friendship. I think it's okay to let go of some friends. You can't possibly keep in contact with everyone you knew, there are just too many. I also have many friends that I do not contact anymore, but were close in middle school. I never felt guilty about it, and I think it's just something that eventually happens to everybody. I believe being loyal to your close friends is much more important than keeping your friend status with everybody. What Twilight did in this episode was unnecessary, even for the princess of friendship.

Edited by qwerE
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Why is it that Three's a Crowd and Princess Twilight Sparkle had Twilight learn lessons that she didn't need to learn, yet now that she actually needs to learn a lesson she's proven right? Twilight's behavior in the beginning of the episode makes it seem like she's going to be called out for only wanting to see her old friends out of guilt. A lesson of not needing to blame herself for stuff that's out of her control and to not let her not be so worried about how she used to be. Spike even makes a couple quips about this and her old friends laugh at her when she apologizes for leaving. But instead, Twilight is proven right and is blamed completely for how Moon Dancer turns out. Aside from one line from Spike near the beginning, there's nothing about how Princess Celestia ordered Twilight to leave Canterlot. It could've been debunked by Moon Dancer saying Twilight still wouldn't have gone to her party if she didn't have to leave Canterlot, but the idea isn't even mentioned.

Also, none of the blame is put on Moon Dancer for how she ends up. Minuette, Twinkle Shine, and Lemon Heart say that they tried to get Moon Dancer to feel better, but she continued to ignore them. That is not Twilight's fault. Neither is the fact that Moon Dancer apparently is a bookworm yet somehow never found out why Twilight left Canterlot and what happened to her. It's not Twilight's fault that Moon Dancer never tried to be logical about Twilight leaving based on what happened after despite Moon Dancer being portrayed as very logical. All of this could've been addressed in the episode, getting deeper into Moon Dancer as a character and her insecurities, but no. It's Twilight's fault for leaving. Nuance is not allowed. Classic season 5.

And the episode breaks canon. Twilight never had friends before Canterlot. This is a well established (and pretty important to the point of the show) piece of canon. Shining Armor's introduction was pushing it, but A Canterlot Wedding justified it by saying he was her only friend. This episode doesn't bring up Twilight not having friends in Canterlot and instead chooses to misinterpret the opening scene of the show, suspiciously choosing to leave out the lines spoken just after the flashback cuts off.

But despite the big issues, there are a couple things I like. I like the inclusion of Pinkie. It's a clever solution by Twilight and Pinkie brings at least a little fun to the episode. I also like Minuette. She's not much more than diet Pinkie, but she's fun enough. And that last shot is really fantastic. I love the slow zoom out of the photo showing the difference between how Moon Dancer used to be and how she changes with the beautiful music. It'd be enough to bring a tear to my eye in a better episode. If only this was a better episode.

Score: 2/10

Edited by bigbertha

• 2 months later...

What a charming episode. :P

It touches an interesting subject - old friends, losing contact with them... I can relate to that... I feel so old now. :mlp_please:

Anyway, I really loved the episode. I certainly did. 

5/5 :love:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

A wonderful episode, I loved everything in this one, moondancer was a very intriguing character and when she broke down in the party it felt very real and emotional. The lesson here is very applicable to children, I know a few cases when something similar happened so I could really sympathize with MD. 10\10, starlight cameo of her spying on twilight was a nice bonus.   

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

This was a wonderful episode for sure. I cried when I first saw it and watched it for a second time today. Moondancer is such a relatable character and she had the potential to be a villain - which would have been an interesting rout to explore for her character. The writers of this episode were very good. I really liked how it showed the characters as fillies, although that begs the question, how did Twinkleshine get her head stuck in the beaker? lol.

Wish we saw more of Moondancer in the future. The ending scene just makes me cry where the view point is within Moondancer's house overlooking as she goes out with her friends to play, the way they laugh and frolic is really happy but it also makes me cry so much since I miss those days in my life and such things in episodes always made me cry to be honest.

Seeing some of the really critical views on this episode is quite disheartening. 

• 4 months later...

Amending Fences is, hands down, the best episode of the entire series, if not the entire franchise! It is such a God-Teir episode and it's my personal favorite, period.

How can you take a small little scene in the very first episode of Season 1 that didn't really mean anything, and turn into something so beautiful and it meant something?

Twilight was making amends with her old friends at Canterlot, which is Minuette/Colgate, Twinkleshine, and Lemon Hearts. While Spike mentioned Lyra, but she's too busy hanging out with Bon Bon.

However, there's one friend that Twilight had that was really important to her that she completely forgot about, was Moondancer. She used to be Twilight's best friend in The School of Gifted Unicorns since she was a filly. Both of them really had a lot in common with each other: they love studying. (on a side note, Moondancer was based off of G1 and her design looks like Twilight. Which is funny because, it does reminds of Lauren Faust's original design for Moondancer that looks like Twilight, during FiM original development. It could be just a coincidence, but I thought was interesting. Also, Baby Moondancer is super adorable.)

One of the best thing about the episode for me is that Twilight realized her grave mistake: she completely dismissed Moondancer and not showing up on her party so Twilight can go to Ponyville. She tried time and time and time, again to make up to Moondancer, but damage was already been done(especially with the last part, which I'll get to later). Twilight can only imagine Moondancer feeling devastated and heartbroken for not showing up. Moondancer meant a lot to Twilight and Twilight meant a lot to Moondancer, she felt very bad for missing out on her party. 

Twilight has one final chance to make up to Moondancer, and it is the scene that got me tear up. Twilight decided to throw a party for Moondancer as a why to make up for missing out on Moondancer's party 5 years ago. She brings along her friends and Pinkie Pie. However, when Moondancer saw this party, she goes on a full on mental breakdown by snapping at Twilight for not showing up at her party, feeling completely hamulated by her friends, and finally, broke down crying.

However, Twilight tells Moondancer that she acknowledged that the damage has been done and she regrets for not showing up at her party, and she apologized to Moondancer. 

Finally, Moondancer forgives Twilight and embrace with a big hug. Awwwwww. That was so touching.

And the final scene that ends such a happy note for me in which after Twilight and her friends are having a great time with Moondancer's make up party, Spike gives Moondancer a 5 year overdue present that was originally a teddy bear, but instead, it's a picture of all Twilight's old friends together. Awwwww. That was so adorable.

Honestly, the reason why I love this episode  was not only because of the major callback of the first episode, and Moondancer making an appearance, but because I love how Twilight was so well developed here. Over the years, we may see her as a snarky bookworm who didn't value friendship, but as time goes on, she became a much a better person by befriending the Main 6, becoming a princess, and value friendship as a whole. The fact that this episode had Moondancer being the driving force makes so much sense and it's a great opportunity for Twilight's character development.

Say what you will about Twilight, but when her development handles well, it handles beautifully. Suffice to say, she did came a long way. Granted, she had long ways to go, but she's still willing to learn from her mistakes. That's why I love about her.

Overall, I have to say, Thank you, M.A Larson for wrote such a beautiful episode of My Little Pony in general. Right next to Slice of Life, it's the best episode of the entire franchise.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 1

On 2020-12-15 at 8:35 PM, Califorum said:

how did Twinkleshine get her head stuck in the beaker? lol.

Actually, that's Lemon Hearts that got stuck in the beaker. Twinkleshine and Colgate trying to help get her out.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best episodes of the entire show for me. I truly love it.

There are several things here I really love. For example:

• Going to Twilight past (actually where the show started) and pick thing up. Actually exactly where we left them
  • Addressing her character development due to the show. I think the characters and their development are what makes mlp what it is
  • Giving some background ponies personally (like Slice of life)
  • Give an explaining for these background ponies being in ponyville so often
  • Seeing Twilight old home again!

and then the elephant in the room (I think this was the expression): Moon Dancer

• This is a typical relatable mlp character ( if one understand what she's going through)
  • a completely lovable character with flaws and past
  • which both makes her current life so imperfect

The comparison between her and Twilight is also interesting because they are so similar in many ways (not only their style and colors)

This is one of those episode I feel I could write pages on pages about my thought, but I end it here.

Definitely one of the best episodes this show has created

On 2019-04-11 at 9:54 PM, Rikifive said:

What a charming episode. :P

It touches an interesting subject - old friends, losing contact with them... I can relate to that... I feel so old now. :mlp_please:

Anyway, I really loved the episode. I certainly did. 

5/5 :love:

Completely relatable for me too - I'm also feeling old now. Well, we've got Earl Grey for that :squee:

On 2021-04-16 at 6:43 AM, JMTV99 said:

Amending Fences is, hands down, the best episode of the entire series, if not the entire franchise! It is such a God-Teir episode and it's my personal favorite, period.

How can you take a small little scene in the very first episode of Season 1 that didn't really mean anything, and turn into something so beautiful and it meant something?

Twilight was making amends with her old friends at Canterlot, which is Minuette/Colgate, Twinkleshine, and Lemon Hearts. While Spike mentioned Lyra, but she's too busy hanging out with Bon Bon.

However, there's one friend that Twilight had that was really important to her that she completely forgot about, was Moondancer. She used to be Twilight's best friend in The School of Gifted Unicorns since she was a filly. Both of them really had a lot in common with each other: they love studying. (on a side note, Moondancer was based off of G1 and her design looks like Twilight. Which is funny because, it does reminds of Lauren Faust's original design for Moondancer that looks like Twilight, during FiM original development. It could be just a coincidence, but I thought was interesting. Also, Baby Moondancer is super adorable.)

One of the best thing about the episode for me is that Twilight realized her grave mistake: she completely dismissed Moondancer and not showing up on her party so Twilight can go to Ponyville. She tried time and time and time, again to make up to Moondancer, but damage was already been done(especially with the last part, which I'll get to later). Twilight can only imagine Moondancer feeling devastated and heartbroken for not showing up. Moondancer meant a lot to Twilight and Twilight meant a lot to Moondancer, she felt very bad for missing out on her party. 

Twilight has one final chance to make up to Moondancer, and it is the scene that got me tear up. Twilight decided to throw a party for Moondancer as a why to make up for missing out on Moondancer's party 5 years ago. She brings along her friends and Pinkie Pie. However, when Moondancer saw this party, she goes on a full on mental breakdown by snapping at Twilight for not showing up at her party, feeling completely hamulated by her friends, and finally, broke down crying.

However, Twilight tells Moondancer that she acknowledged that the damage has been done and she regrets for not showing up at her party, and she apologized to Moondancer. 

Finally, Moondancer forgives Twilight and embrace with a big hug. Awwwwww. That was so touching.

And the final scene that ends such a happy note for me in which after Twilight and her friends are having a great time with Moondancer's make up party, Spike gives Moondancer a 5 year overdue present that was originally a teddy bear, but instead, it's a picture of all Twilight's old friends together. Awwwww. That was so adorable.

Honestly, the reason why I love this episode  was not only because of the major callback of the first episode, and Moondancer making an appearance, but because I love how Twilight was so well developed here. Over the years, we may see her as a snarky bookworm who didn't value friendship, but as time goes on, she became a much a better person by befriending the Main 6, becoming a princess, and value friendship as a whole. The fact that this episode had Moondancer being the driving force makes so much sense and it's a great opportunity for Twilight's character development.

Say what you will about Twilight, but when her development handles well, it handles beautifully. Suffice to say, she did came a long way. Granted, she had long ways to go, but she's still willing to learn from her mistakes. That's why I love about her.

Overall, I have to say, Thank you, M.A Larson for wrote such a beautiful episode of My Little Pony in general. Right next to Slice of Life, it's the best episode of the entire franchise.

Indeed! Even if I don't pick a favorite episode of MLP xD

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I love it. I love it so much that I cried a bit when watching this again. Moon Dancer is so relatable and she was so special in this episode. I only wish more was done with her throughout the show. 

• Brohoof 1