Did you like it?  

295 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

At the very end, I thought Spike's present for Moon Dancer would be that teddy bear, but instead, it's a photo of her, Studying Twilight, and the other Canterlot friends; so much better!

• Brohoof 4

This was another pretty good episode.

I enjoyed the callbacks to past episodes including the pilot and I even enjoyed the flashbacks we got of episode 1 and when Twilight was a filly.

The premise of Twilight visiting her old canterlot friends that she lost contact with after moving to ponyville was great and didn't disappoint.

It definitely was relatable and had shown just how far Twilight has come since the very beginning of the series.

Also Spike was pretty good in this episode and I was pleasantly surprised to see Pinkie Pie in the episode.

The episode become heartwarming and really good when we got to the party and learned why Moon Dancer isolates herself.

And the episode has a pretty satisfying conclusion.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
I dunno about anybody else, but I can relate so much with Moondancer.

I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to making strong friendships, so because of that I tend to isolate myself doing stuff I like. But the only reason I became that way is A. All of my very close friends lost touch with me and B. Without anybody, I tend to struggle with help and support. Moondancer's breakdown really hit me the most too. To see her break down like that makes me feel extra sorry for her as I used to feel that way all the time. 

But Twilight is also right about one thing - you don't just have your friends, you also have your family, your mentors and other role models to guide you. I've always been very paranoid about having no friends, but I tend to forget that my mentors are just as important.

So yeah, I loved this episode. Definitely one of my favourites of Season 5.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 5

This episode was pure bliss. The start was a tiny bit rushed but after that everything went along at a wonderful pace and this episode really put forth the idea of friendship in a wonderful way, which is saying a heck of a lot considering friendship is the whole idea of the show. 

So many things hit right with me here. The moral, the characters, the amazing and cute voices, the flashbacks, the ending, the characters (twice!), it all mended together oh so sweetly. This has to be one of the best slice of life episodes in the show so far. Also,what Moondancer was going through is something I (and probably many others) can relate to. I barely had any friends growing up and I still have so much trouble with it, the feels at the end were a big surprise to me. I loved it!

Without going into all the details, I simple have to say that this is one of my favorite episodes of the season so far, up there with Slice of Life, Make Friends, and Tanks for the Memories.

I am seriously loving this season.  :lol: Watching such a wonderful episode puts me in a spastasticly wonderful mood.  :yay:

• Brohoof 2

Larson why? Why did you only mention best pony but gave her no screen time? why you do this to me, i mean us! But overall this was a good episode, the lesson was good, the characters better and even made me think of past friendships that have ended. My rating 9/10 (would be full marks if green pony had been there!)

• Brohoof 1

This episode did something that no other, not even Sleepless in Ponyville, has ever done.

Cry.

Seriously, this episode is absolutely outstanding. The portrayals of every character is magnificent. Twilight, Minuette, Twinkleshine, Lemon Drops, Spike, and especially Moondancer. Everything is so well-paced, and the moral is mature and brilliant.

Lesson Zero was previously Twilight's best episode. Amending Fences might've changed that.

This!

There was something personal about this episode for me. It made me think of all the friendships I had in high school and college that I let slip away. How our past and being self absorbed can have tremendous influence on others. Every connection and opportunity to community matters.

10/10 - Amazing MA Larson! Perhaps my favorite episode of the season

I need to put the poll up!

• Brohoof 13

(edited)

So anyone else curious as to why all of Twilight's old friends were unicorns? Is the Princess of Friendship secretly speciesist? (No)

What I liked:

Moondancer: Nice character contrast with how Twilight used to be.

The Old Friends: Nice to see they don't hold a grudge and are generally friendly.

The feels: Nice heartwarming sentiment in this episode

The Flashbacks: Unicorn Twilight rides again!

What I didn't like:

The Plot (conceptually speaking): Sorry not a fan of the whole "got to make up friends" style plot line, it just feels forced IMO and that isn't helped by:

The Pacing: I felt the middle dragged on a bit while the ending rushed the conclusion, basically Moondancer wouldn't hear Twilight out at all until the party then she'll listen and vent because it's the climax 

What was meh:

Spike: This could have been this guys big break, able to repair the rift Twilight was unable to cross. Would have made great use of his character. Otherwise not a horrible use of him this season

Overall a good solid episode, on par with most of Season 5 but nothing mindblowing, at least to me.

Also can we please stop praising MA Larson like he's some kind of God, seriously.  

Edited by Sidral Mundet
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

That was a cute episode, and certainly much better than most episodes this season!

It is a neat connection back to the first episode of the series, although I think it's stretching it from that first episode to consider the group friends... (The context of that conversation from the first episode, including the part after Twilight ran off that they didn't include in this episode, makes the context a little different) And they have all appeared several times throughout the series and never recognized each other (which makes sense with Twilight Sparkle having "forgotten" about them - how does that even happen? But not the other way around).

I've always loved Twinkleshine's design, though - I love that coloring!

And Moondancer's name and design is a nice callback to G1.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

This was toothache inducing level of sweet. Besides the numerous call backs to Minuette, Lemon Heart, Twinkleshine and Lyra's appearances (such as the fact that three of them were Cadance's bridesmaids), I also love the character of Moondancer, especially her outburst at the end. It feels very believable that she's held on to this sadness all this time and avoided others to prevent herself from being hurt again. I know I can relate to that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 3

Also can we please stop praising MA Larson like he's some kind of God, seriously.  

Well excuse me, for loving Larsons episode. I won't do it again. >_>

• Brohoof 1

Ohmygoshohmygosh I daww's the entire time! I can't even do a proper rundown because AAAAAAAWWWWWWW~

GoodFeels/10!

Like the preceding song in the livestream. Sums up how I feel about this episode too.  :lol:

(edited)

Well excuse me, for loving Larsons episode. I won't do it again. >_>

Sorry but it's just I never hear anyone praise any of the other writers, at least never to his degree. It's like Larson is the only one who gets noticed when it's a team effort. 

Edited by Sidral Mundet

(edited)

I loved this episode 

Larson you magnificent bastard

I loved the message and I can relate with Moondancer, as far as isolating myself goes. Throughout my childhood, I tried to make friends, but they would either take advantage of me, hurt me, or make fun of me behind my back. Becuase of that I isolated myself for nearly all of high school I didn't make any attempts to make friends cause I didn't want to be hurt like I was as a child. This is one of the reasons I love the show... the all mighty relateability factor.

8.3/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Guys, please, somebody tell me I'm not the only person in this mad world that doesn't like this episode! I need to feel validated!!!!!!!

Edited by LZRD WZRD
  • Brohoof 2

God bless you, Larson.  :D

This is an episode that I thought should have happened a long time ago, ever since I went back to the first episode and realized just how utterly unlikable Twilight was in it. The only thing I would have added is having her apologize to Spike for how badly she treated him in their first scene together (causing him to break his gift without apologizing, levitating a book out of his hand while he was on top of a ladder, causing him to fall down on his face, also without apologizing). 

Also, once again, Larson is still the only one intent on placing limits on Twilight's magical ability---causing her to state that she could only transport herself inside a book for a few minutes. Even now that she's an alicorn, Larson is still one of the only ones making sure that Twilight's magic has limits. Have to give him props for that, even though the damage Natasha Levinger did was irreparable....

All in all, it was really nice to see Twilight having to make up for past sins, considering that we'll never see her have to make up for any current sins anymore due to her being morally perfect and utterly incapable of doing wrong. 

• Brohoof 3

That was a really sweet episode, in the feelsy sorta way.  For having so much, it really seemed nicely paced, especially in how it managed to introduce Moondancer like that.

It was a trip down feels lane 

• Brohoof 1

Sorry but I never hear anyone praise any of the other writers, at least never to his degree. It's like Larson is the only one who gets noticed when it's a team effort.

I get what you're saying. I never got into praising or hating Larson because I never got into praising or hating any of the other writers. I loved this episode but I don't know what that means for whether I like or dislike the writer. I'm a little curious now to look up my most loved and hated episodes and see who wrote which ones. Never paid too much attention to it before.  :) Then again, I'd imagine there are many factors that play into how the episodes are made (i.e. the writers don't do the music).

• Brohoof 1

sig-3910712.large.jpeg

OK, welcome back everypony to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews."  Gonna try to keep this one on the short side of things since I got some 4th of July activities to get to, so let's get started.  Overall, this was a delightful episode!  It had good characterization of both new and old characters, some really cool additions to show canon, hearkened back to A LOT of Season 1 bits from the very first episode even, and addressed a good issue very soundly.  First of all, I thought Twilight and Spike were both great here.  We got to really see Twilight acting on her own as a Princess of Friendship handling an actual friendship problem; even if it was one very close and personal to her, that was still cool to see.  Spike was spot on too, very much the lovable and helpful assistant that he is when he's at his best; the fact that he was able, for example, to prevent major awkwardness between Twilight and most of her old friends by reminding her of who they were and helping her track them down was a major plus in his favor here.  His old present for Moondancer was also a nice touch that had a very good payoff in the end.  Pinkie for the little bit that she was in the episode was of course Pinkie, what's not to love?  My favorite bit with her was that of course she knows Minuette, why wouldn't she?  :yay:

Onto the new characters (or, rather, old characters getting characterization for the first time).  For starters, I really liked Minuette, Twinkleshine, and Lemon Hearts here.  Minuette seems very bubbly and outgoing, possibly even the Pinkie-equivalent of the Canterlot bunch.  I know some people were at first worried that she was being a suck up to Twilight, but it really seems like that was her genuine personality, and I like that.  We learned some cool canon about Lemon Hearts working as an event planner/organizer at Canterlot Castle, and while Twinkleshine was more a third wheel than anything else, she seemed nice and she has a lovely design.  What I liked most of all about all of them was how they were so forgiving of Twilight's past behavior, and in fact hadn't even really cared that she wasn't the most outgoing, they'd just always loved her for the bookworm she was.  It highlights rather nicely just how friendly so many ponies in Equestrian society in general are, and that the Mane 6, while certainly exceptional ponies, aren't necessarily unusual as far as how outgoing they are to others.  As for Moondancer, aside from her being a cool revival of a G1 character, she was a very effective example on the writers' part of how important early friendships especially are.  Seemingly small events when we're young can really effect our entire outlook on things, and how hurt she was by Twilight's absence at her one and only party is a great example of that.  And that, furthermore, highlights by extension just how important friendship is at an early age.  Having people around you that you trust like that, people you really know care about you for who you are, it helps you learn better how to live in the world, how to thrive and enjoy life to its fullest.  It may seem like a well-worn phrase, but it really is true that friends really do often help people come out of their shells, and sometimes our first ones can be the most important in that regard, even if we don't always keep in touch with them throughout our lives.

sig-3910712.929657__safe_twilight%20spar

*sigh* I love pony physics.  How do they work?  B) 

sig-3910712.929661__safe_twilight%20spar

Sunglasses: You're doing them right, Minuette  B) 

sig-3910712.929665__safe_twilight%20spar

Good job, Princess of Friendship!  :fluttershy: 

Besides these major elements, I did love having another episode set in Canterlot.  It wasn't a terribly funny episode, interestingly enough, but I think that's because it wasn't going for a whole lot of jokes.  It had a lot to tell, for one, and it was also handling a fairly serious and complex issue for another, so I think it can certainly be forgiven for not being the most rip-roaringly funny episode of Season 5.  There were some lovely locations they went to, the callbacks again to Season 1, both those that were and weren't important to the episode, were very cool and impressive to see, and there might have even been a sighting of Starlight Glimmer in one scene (which I'll have to go back and look for when I rewatch this episode).  A bit of foreshadowing, perhaps?  Perhaps indeed, but we'll just have to wait and see, now, won't we?  Overall, this was a splendid episode.  A nice change of pace, I thought, felt very suited for a Twilight episode to her character, I have no complaints about the pacing or execution, all around just a very lovely, solid episode that I can't wait to rewatch.  That's all I got for ya'll today guys!  To all my fellow American bronies out there, I wish you all a very Happy Fourth of July!!!  :lol:   Later all, I'm off!!! *cue dramatic exit*

sig-3910712.929646__safe_solo_screencap_

Dun, dun, DUNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!  :o 

• Brohoof 2