Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

How do yall feel about windows 10? I havent read much about it and will soon but i woukd like some opinions of what other tech ponies and non tech ponies think. How do yiu think elderly people will feel about it? I have grandparents askibg me and want more opinions before i give a statement :P

Edited by Gear_Crank
  • Brohoof 2

It looks pretty interesting.

I like how that the windows button has come back to Windows 10 cause on Windows 8 that totally went bye bye. I hated that.

I just run Windows 7 Home Premium on my pc. I reserved my upgrade cause I'm intrigued by it. I am more than likely going to test it out see how I like it, if not, I can just go back to Windows 7 by factory resetting... which I should do every once in awhile anyway.

• Brohoof 1

its just stupid that they said initially that win10 was going to be free to all 7 and 8/ 8.1 users. now they say that you have to pay in a year... this is why i use Linux 99% of the time i just use win for gaming   

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Very long post edit. Windows 10 is now actually out and not a tech demo.

I still stand by my original post about the start menu being bad, but at least users can adjust to it. However, there's a new problem: Cortana the search bar. Everything you type into it goes out to Microsoft's servers. This causes an inherent latency for finding that one specific program you want to run and it's annoying as hell. I'm used to typing something into the linux menu or windows 7 menu and having instantaneous search results, not hanging there for 2 seconds waiting for a response.

Of course, there's also all the privacy concerns and the way microsoft aggressively tried to force, coerce and trick people to upgrade. And then there's the BS where micro$oft is pushing ads through the lock screen. I don't care that you can disable it, that's a load of garbage and they should bloody well know better.

Edited by Celtore
Holy crap it's 2018!
  • Brohoof 1

I've been testing all the Windows 10 Insider builds since Microsoft started putting them out.

I love Windows 10. It's miles better than Windows 8...

Why?

The start menu and more desktop-oriented interface. No more Modern Start Screen!

Will I be upgrading to Windows 10?

Yes!

• Brohoof 1

After running a tech demo, it's not perfect. It's better than 8, but it has a few quirks that annoy me. Particularly... the start menu.

The start menu is nice, but they basically took the tablet screen and compressed it. The third party launcher I use still offers a better experience. My mind is freaking blown seeing as that was the #1 complaint for windows 8 and they still haven't figured out how to make a decent start menu without shamelessly shoving their tablet UI in their users' faces. Hell, here's a mock up of how I would design it in 5 minutes with paint.sig-3912985.mxAVLd3.png

Notice how simple the design is. It's small, compact and does only what the user wants. The typical user wants to quickly open the menu and either access a system-related folder, run a program or shut down. Depending on how the user is using the machine, they can access desktop applications or metro applications at will without either option forcing itself on them. The search bar will automatically search both desktop and metro apps, but after clicking one of the folders, it will only search for that type of application. Five minutes.

I really do like the design of metro, but it's not meant for the desktop. Stop trying to force it on the desktop! Sticking the tablet UI right in the start menu is horrible in terms of UI design, most users are just going to continue ignoring it like they've been doing since windows 8 was released. Sorry if that was a bit long winded, it's just that this is something I care surprisingly a fair bit about despite being a Linux guy. I'm happy about everything else windows 10 does including integrating Cortana, it's just that this is so stupid...

Cortana?! We got her from the master chief?!lol i like your design but wondows 8 was built for mobile devices that would use the metro. It was stated that and they warned people about it and gave advice on how to avoid it. If i could show you, i have a 5-8 page report on it. Im on mobile rn but ill get it uploaded here somehow. If they have your design for 10 i will be very happy

I'm kind of afraid to update. I have a touchscreen laptop and I think that if I update the touchscreen functionality might be limited since it doesn't have that tablet looking page stand alone. I mean, I know it has it on the start menu, but I'll stick with Windows 8.1 for now. I really like Windows 7, though.

• Brohoof 1

I'm kind of afraid to update. I have a touchscreen laptop and I think that if I update the touchscreen functionality might be limited since it doesn't have that tablet looking page stand alone. I mean, I know it has it on the start menu, but I'll stick with Windows 8.1 for now. I really like Windows 7, though.

Windows 10 has something called "Tablet Mode" which allows you to take full advantage of the touch screen. Also, the start menu in Windows 10 has the normal Windows 8-styled tiles on it.

• Brohoof 3

I see no reason to switch from windows 7. It has all the features I need, until support for it is dropped, I'm keeping windows 7 64 bit.

Windows 10 has something called "Tablet Mode" which allows you to take full advantage of the touch screen. Also, the start menu in Windows 10 has the normal Windows 8-styled tiles on it.

Ahh! I see! I will have to look into this "Tablet Mode"! :) The only thing I don't like about the start menu is that the Windows 8 styled tiles are so small. It seems kind of hard to operate. 

• Brohoof 1

its just stupid that they said initially that win10 was going to be free to all 7 and 8/ 8.1 users. now they say that you have to pay in a year... this is why i use Linux 99% of the time i just use win for gaming

Actually they said that it'll be free to upgrade to from Windows 7 or Windows 8 for the first year, but afterwards you'll have to pay.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm currently still running XP. Probably will continue to do so, until POS2009 loses support in 2019.

I'm more of a "simple" GUI guy, and windows 10 feels waaaaaaay too AI. I prefer my OS's lightweight

and "platform/tool" ish...I dunno, just something about anything beyond that feels...uneasy to me.

Just my two bits at least.

Edited by BrilliantVenture

Even though it’s nowhere near finished or have close to 50% of the features working I couldn’t wait to try it. I was nervous as it booted and the start-up screen looked very similar to Windows 8. I logged in with my Microsoft account, as in Windows 8, and waited for it to login. And it did, straight to the desktop, not to a stupid Metro interface where you can’t find anything, and the good news doesn’t end there.

The Windows Start button is back, and if you have used Windows 7, everything is where you expect, and want, it to be. The live tile add-on to the start menu really works, and Virtual Desktops, (Linux users have had these for years) are great. The new MSN site really makes sense when using Windows 10, and you can start to see the masterplan through the chaos and confusion of Windows 8. The Start Screen (Formerly the Metro Interface) is still available, but it need to be enabled, which means if you don’t want it, you will never see it.

I am already using a Laptop with Windows 10 at work, and although its over 6 months away from official release, it’s fast and stable, with none of the strange sluggish response of Windows 8. Adding accounts and calendars is simple, it’s easy to customise the start menu and live tiles to suite your own user style. Overall, even though they have made changes, it all feels very familiar, is intuitive, and just works.

• Brohoof 2

I've already reserved my free update to Windows 10. It should be great. I even can't wait to try out using Cortana (for what I've seen, is better than Siri in terms of personality)! :D

Haven't gotten the notification to update yet and I'm too lazy to get the tech preview. from what I've seen from screenshots/ people's opinions it's good though.

Didn't you update your OS with the latest update? Because if you didn't, that's why you are not seeing it.

I've already reserved my free update to Windows 10. It should be great. I even can't wait to try out using Cortana (for what I've seen, is better than Siri in terms of personality)! :D

Didn't you update your OS with the latest update? Because if you didn't, that's why you are not seeing it.

MS is releasing Windows 10 in waves. I have a copy reserved but I wasn't in the first wave. Maybe the next one though.

• Brohoof 1

People are chatterin' about some of its aesthetics - this does not impress me. I'd much rather delete Win 8 and go back to 7. But that's not where I stand permanently. I might deal try with it later.   :P

Actually they said that it'll be free to upgrade to from Windows 7 or Windows 8 for the first year, but afterwards you'll have to pay.

Let me clarify this a bit further. If you get it during the free upgrade period, it's free forever. If you don't, then you have to pay.

I see no reason to switch from windows 7. It has all the features I need, until support for it is dropped, I'm keeping windows 7 64 bit.

Do we really want another Windows XP, the exact thing Microsoft is trying to avoid? ¬_¬

As long as Windows 10 is faster, looks, and feels more polished than Windows 8 (which I hate) then I'll be upgrading ASAP.  Never "upgraded" from 7 to 8 since 8 was just a mess imo.

I see absolutely no reason to keep 7 if Windows 10 is a clear upgrade.

• Brohoof 1