Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

Way better than Windows 8, but I'll stick with Windows 7 (oh if only I had Windows XP)

I'm not upgrading because 1. I don't want to lose my files (correct me if I'm wrong) 2. I'm already used to Windows 7

Edited by Alpha Hedge
  • Brohoof 1

The big problem with windows 10 is that it is forever.  You will be updating to all of the garbage that microsoft deigns to put upon you in the future.  When the next vista or ME ideas come into play, you will be stuck with them.

Way better than Windows 8, but I'll stick with Windows 7 (oh if only I had Windows XP)

I'm not upgrading because 1. I don't want to lose my files (correct me if I'm wrong) 2. I'm already used to Windows 7

I liked Windows XP the most. It was such a classic computer and it was also simple.

• Brohoof 1

Ahh! I see! I will have to look into this "Tablet Mode"! :) The only thing I don't like about the start menu is that the Windows 8 styled tiles are so small. It seems kind of hard to operate. 

Yeah, it took me some getting used to before I was able to use the new start menu with my touch screen like a total boss. But, like in Windows 8.1, you can re-size the tiles to suit your preferences. :)

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, it took me some getting used to before I was able to use the new start menu with my touch screen like a total boss. But, like in Windows 8.1, you can re-size the tiles to suit your preferences. :)

Oh you can resize them?? How big can you make them?

(edited)

Let me clarify this a bit further. If you get it during the free upgrade period, it's free forever. If you don't, then you have to pay.

Do we really want another Windows XP, the exact thing Microsoft is trying to avoid? ¬_¬

Why are you bringing up windows xp, a 13 year old operating system? Windows 7 has everything I need, so why would I bother upgrading? I don't care what microsoft is trying to do or not to do, i'll upgrade when I need to.

Edited by Guest

Why are you bringing up windows xp, a 13 year old operating system? Windows 7 has everything I need, so why would I bother upgrading?

That is exactly what people said when justifying sticking to Windows XP. "It has everything I need so why should I bother upgrading?"

That is exactly what people said when justifying sticking to Windows XP. "It has everything I need so why should I bother upgrading?"

What's your point? That's because XP was better than Vista at the time. When 7 came out, some people still stuck with xp for a while, but most of them eventually upgraded to 7 as well. Now 7 is where xp was. How is that a bad thing? Haven't you ever heard the term, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"?

What's your point? That's because XP was better than Vista at the time. When 7 came out, some people still stuck with xp for a while, but most of them eventually upgraded to 7 as well. Now 7 is where xp was. How is that a bad thing? Haven't you ever heard the term, "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"?

But how will we progress if people stick to older operating systems and hardware because "it works"? Have you even seen or tried out Windows 10?

(edited)

But how will we progress if people stick to older operating systems and hardware because "it works"? Have you even seen or tried out Windows 10?

Just because we don't want to upgrade right now doesn't mean we won't, upgrades will come naturally, we don't all need to have the latest and greatest thing to be happy. I've seen windows 10 and i'm not impressed. Doesn't do anything I can't do with windows 7, and I don't know if it's faster, nor do I care.

I've yet to hear a single compelling argument as to why I should upgrade to 10 instead of just sticking with 7. And your nonsense about not being able to progress is baloney, because as i've already stated, progress is not necessary when we already have what we want/need.

Did I not progress when I moved from xp to 7? Or from 2k to xp? or from 95 to 98?

Edited by Guest

Just because we don't want to upgrade right now doesn't mean we won't, upgrades will come naturally, we don't all need to have the latest and greatest thing to be happy. I've seen windows 10 and i'm not impressed. Doesn't do anything I can't do with windows 7, and I don't know if it's faster, nor do I care.

I've yet to hear a single compelling argument as to why I should upgrade to 10 instead of just sticking with 7. And your nonsense about not being able to progress is baloney, because as i've already stated, progress is not necessary when we already have what we need.

Oh, so you can you have unlimited virtual desktops in Windows 7 without the need for third-party addons? Oh, or how about this? Or smarter snapping functionality like this? Or even snapping things to the edges of your monitors in multi-monitor setups (can't screenshot that due to me being unable to do so yet)? And that's just scratching the surface of what Windows 10 can do that Windows 7 can't.

(edited)

Oh, so you can you have unlimited virtual desktops in Windows 7 without the need for third-party addons? Oh, or how about this? Or smarter snapping functionality like this? Or even snapping things to the edges of your monitors in multi-monitor setups (can't screenshot that due to me being unable to do so yet)? And that's just scratching the surface of what Windows 10 can do that Windows 7 can't.

You're assuming I want to do all that nonsense. Why would want to do any of that? It doesn't do anything I want it to do that windows 7 can't, I thought my point was pretty clear, there. I don't need any of those features, nor do I want them, so why would I upgrade? Just to have the latest and greatest thing? Spare me.

If you were to say something like, "It cuts your boot time in half, and makes all media including youtube videos play smoother" then I might be interested, until then, pass.

Edited by Guest

You're assuming I want to do all that nonsense. Why would want to do any of that? It doesn't do anything I want it to do that windows 7 can't, I thought my point was pretty clear, there. I don't need any of those features, nor do I want them, so why would I upgrade? Just to have the latest and greatest thing? Spare me.

You might think that you don't want it, but I dunno, I find a lot of that very useful for a lot of people.

'sides, it's not like Windows 10 is being sent out to everyone on July 29th. It's being sent out in waves. For all I know it could be weeks before I get it myself.

(edited)

You might think that you don't want it, but I dunno, I find a lot of that very useful for a lot of people.

I can't find any reason that I would need or want any of these features. Smart snapping? Snore. Pointless, useless. A boring interface to 'reset your pc'? Maybe if you're a complete noob with no tech experience. In my experience it's much more effective to try and troubleshoot problems on your own rather than having an AI do it, and fail most of the time. Unlimited virtual desktops sounds interesting, purely from a technical standpoint, but I don't see any reason why I would ever need such a thing.

What's that? Windows 10 cuts my program loading and boot time in half? Sign me up. What? It doesn't do that? Then why the hell should I care?

Edited by Guest

I can't find any reason that I would need or want any of these features. Smart snapping? Snore. Pointless, useless. A boring interface to 'reset your pc'? Maybe if you're a complete noob with no tech experience. Unlimited virtual desktops sounds interesting, purely from a technical standpoint, but I don't see any reason why I would ever need such a thing.

I have a multi-monitor setup, so I greatly appreciate the improved snapping functionality (I assume others with similar setups also appreciate the improvements). Also, that assumption with resetting your PC. You know what that does? It resets Windows to its stock setup, no additional hardware required. Great for if you don't have any access to installation CDs or USB drives, not just if you're a complete noob with no tech experience. And virtual desktops would be great for segregating work from other things, so you won't get distracted by things being clumped together in one desktop. So there you go.

(edited)

I have a multi-monitor setup, so I greatly appreciate the improved snapping functionality (I assume others with similar setups also appreciate the improvements). Also, that assumption with resetting your PC. You know what that does? It resets Windows to its stock setup, no additional hardware required. Great for if you don't have any access to installation CDs or USB drives, not just if you're a complete noob with no tech experience. And virtual desktops would be great for segregating work from other things, so you won't get distracted by things being clumped together in one desktop. So there you go.

That actually sounds pretty useful. And as I said the virtual desktop thing Is interesting. If windows 10 is demonstrably faster in everyday tasks then maybe...until then I'm not sold.

On a side note, windows 10 actually scored higher than 7 on a review I saw, so that counts for something I suppose.

Edited by Guest

That actually sounds pretty useful. And as I said the virtual desktop thing Is interesting. If windows 10 is demonstrably faster in everyday tasks then maybe...until then I'm not sold.

I'll get back to you on that after I get my upgrade. Probably after a few weeks or a month. Ok?

• 2 years later...

I immensely dislike it, something is always breaking or never works the way it's supposed to; I can't even open pictures or play music without running into some issue anymore.

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Nsxile said:

I mean... Windows 10 is a decent operating system but I still prefer 7, due to 7 being more compatible with older programs.

Window 10 has a Win7 emulator. I'm pretty sure it's in all editions, definitely the Pro. When you install a program, you can choose compatibility mode.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/ 

• Brohoof 1

The only thing I don't like about Windows 10 is the update nagging. It's worse than OSX. That and when updates break, they break hard. I can't update this build past 1703 because... fuck if I know! I've tried to fix it no less than fifteen times and I can't figure it out. Probably time to run my AIO fixer again. x__x

• Brohoof 1

I'm okay with Windows 10. I do think Windows 7 was a bit better though. It's the update from Windows 7/8.1 that is kind of sketchy though. I updated my PC when Windows 10 first came out, and I'm glad everything went smoothly. My dad updated one of his laptops a little while later though, and the whole thing failed and broke the filing system. There was no way to recover anything without paying a ton of money, so he just let it get wiped and put Windows 7 back on it. Windows updates always make me nervous now.