Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The CMC and the lessons past, present and future

Melke

(Please note: the following points raised are from my perspective and not official in any way. Feel free to add your own and discuss.)

From the title, it may seems odd as they are ones who needed to learn the lessons to get their cutie marks. What I am going to discuss is about the kind of lessons that we can expect from the show when they do eventually get their marks.

The writers seems to be finding the best way to push the CMC toward their marks and it seems like that they are getting closer. However, there is a mix feeling about them getting their cutie mark and not getting it. I support what the writers are doing right now with the CMC as it would still keep them in the show despite eventually getting their marks.

They tackled these issues lightly with "Bloom and Gloom" but I feel that they are either setting up something here or they are doing it early so that they can keep avoiding going into the eventually end.

The issues arising from the cutie marks and what would happen to them was a good setup for conflict. I feel that the writers did a fantastic job of framing the problem through the CMC's individual worries about the future, they also made a subtle link to how we sometimes worry about the uncertainty of the future.

In a typical format of a story, this is what I would call a build up to a climax. The climax would be the unavoidable conflict between the CMC when their friendship is tested due to their talents. They became friends under the same umbrella of being blank flanks. I mean, look at Twist. It would be interesting to see this as an episode in the show to see, given the tension that the build up is going for.

Next, I am thinking about who would get their marks. Thanks to "Show Stoppers", we all know what they are good at already so there is a loss of the unexpected and guessing fodder. "Bloom and Gloom" gets more right but I am not going in that.

Twilight has been doing well in guiding the CMC in the right direction: Apple Bloom is getting to learn more of what I would interpret as the subtly behind alchemy and getting her to calm down and be patient so that she may soon see the way to her mark, Sweetie Belle is learning magic for unicorns and this is what I would call the discipline and confidence that she needs to eventually get her own mark, Scootaloo is learning basic mechanics and this is what I would say is the most obvious of the CMC and what Twilight was going for was that she would soon see her love for her scooter and lead her to her marks.

From pure speculation, I think Scootaloo might be the first CMC to get her mark. She had one key episode in "Flight to the Finish" and her mark seems to be the most obvious comparative to her other two friends. According to the brony analysis community, they raised a point that I like to add: Scootaloo's main issue is that she has to face limitation both physical and emotional. Limitation can also spark adaptability to play with their limitation and overcome what seems like a hurdle.

So who do you think might get their marks first or do you think it is possible for all 3 to get their marks at the same time? Do you think we will see this develop eventually or will the writers try and avoid this for as long as they can?

• Brohoof 2

There could be a mane 6 like element when Rainbow Dash did the Rainboom everyone got their marks, though  I don't know it could be a reference to that on a smaller scale

That is certainly a good possibility. But if it is a copy and paste element of unity, it seems lazy from the writers. That is how I would feel about

Though, in some way, I do feel that the mane 6's cutie marks are reversed engineered and they have to come up with an acceptable reason for each one. I am thinking about this from the writer's point of view and I think there is a value in setting up the CMC to get their marks at the same time and they have to miss out seeing each other getting their marks. What do you think about this angle as a response to a possible link like the sonic rainboom of the mane 6, like you said.

• Brohoof 2

That is certainly a good possibility. But if it is a copy and paste element of unity, it seems lazy from the writers. That is how I would feel about

Though, in some way, I do feel that the mane 6's cutie marks are reversed engineered and they have to come up with an acceptable reason for each one. I am thinking about this from the writer's point of view and I think there is a value in setting up the CMC to get their marks at the same time and they have to miss out seeing each other getting their marks. What do you think about this angle as a response to a possible link like the sonic rainboom of the mane 6, like you said.

I can see that angle and it could lead to that point where the Crusaders  "disband" their group and "give up" on finding the cutie marks going on their own paths  and it is when  the link event happens and  they get the cutie marks around the same time

I see that the CMC disbanding being part of their child like behavior as that is what they are. And it is also seen in "Flight to the Finish", that they will fight at times and also going as far as to break the group up.

I think a good way to play this theme is memories, which is what I hope the writers are doing: a build up to a good tension filled episode and with good continuity call backs and memories for both the CMC and the fandom. I was a little disappointed at how Babs Seed was just horse-shoed into the plot in "Bad Seed" and then just gone after one or two interaction with the CMC as a group. By the way, I have strong opposing views to "Bad Seed" as how the writers poorly treated the subject of bullying.

I can also see another alternative, maybe the CMC starts to drift apart from their group and that could be a good lesson in its own end about how friends will keep their interests in mind and that could also be a stepping stone for getting their marks.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I see that the CMC disbanding being part of their child like behavior as that is what they are. And it is also seen in "Flight to the Finish", that they will fight at times and also going as far as to break the group up.

I think a good way to play this theme is memories, which is what I hope the writers are doing: a build up to a good tension filled episode and with good continuity call backs and memories for both the CMC and the fandom. I was a little disappointed at how Babs Seed was just horse-shoed into the plot in "Bad Seed" and then just gone after one or two interaction with the CMC as a group. By the way, I have strong opposing views to "Bad Seed" as how the writers poorly treated the subject of bullying.

I can also see another alternative, maybe the CMC starts to drift apart from their group and that could be a good lesson in its own end about how friends will keep their interests in mind and that could also be a stepping stone for getting their marks.

Luna: "The lessons they have learned in their dreams taught them well, they have proven to be ready".

[bronies]: Ready? Ready for what?

[cue the  Luna´s Cover of "Celestia´s Balad" ♫ ]

C.M.C. = Cutie Mark Counselors

They already performed this role (without noticing) in "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" [s5E06]; each one having a different role in giving a good advice and rousing someone who already got their cutiemark (but had lost hope on both his future/destiny, and the porpouse  he had in life).

- - - - - 

WHAT are the cutie marks they will obtain is ultimately something non-relevant; as they will be like the wings of Twilight (representing not a mere "permanent change in their bodies", but a more profound "growing up" beyond their previous "innocence").

Edited by SilverComet

(edited)

In my point-of-view opinion, the CMC won't be getting their marks this season BUT it will happen only in the altered reality timeline in the 2-part Season 5 finale...Literally.

But the answer is: The Cutie Mark Crusaders that we knew are might going to be a fake out in that they earn their cutie marks in the Season 5 finale in an altered timeline before things are returned to normal as "Blank Flanks".

You know for a second thought, I think The CMC did look better as "Forever Blank Flanks" as my opinion or our opinion.

And FYI, the CMC being Blank Flanks forever in fanfics SHOULD be CANON by now.

Edited by MAIKUN

Luna: "The lessons they have learned in their dreams taught them well, they have proven to be ready".

[bronies]: Ready? Ready for what?

[cue the  Luna´s Cover of "Celestia´s Balad" ♫ ]

C.M.C. = Cutie Mark Counselors

They already performed this role (without noticing) in "Appleoosa's Most Wanted" [s5E06]; each one having a different role in giving a good advice and rousing someone who already got their cutiemark (but had lost hope on both his future/destiny, and the porpouse  he had in life).

- - - - - 

WHAT are the cutie marks they will obtain is ultimately something non-relevant; as they will be like the wings of Twilight (representing not a mere "permanent change in their bodies", but a more profound "growing up" beyond their previous "innocence").

The CMC being the ones to lecture someone about cutie marks and the interpretation of the marks seems a bit out of left field for me when I saw that episode. The view of the cutie mark from the CMC perspective is a little hard to see from the audience point of view and using substitution is a little bit unrelatable to me. At least the writers are doing something with them.

I liked how they made each crusader more unique and contribute a different part to the group. Since this is the first time they are giving this cutie mark consultation role to the CMC, I will let some bad writing slip. I like the end where Apple Jack tells them that there is more to life than just finding their marks.

I like the fact that it was AppleBloom that talked it out with TroubleShoes. Her dream with Luna went through cutie marks in detail and may have a better interpretation of marks than the rest of the CMC. And Sweetie Belle is showing more hesitation in not listening to her elders, good maturity growth there. After going through this again, I feel that their stories will not end when they get their marks as their marks (from Show Stoppers) can be used as a medium to learn more valuable life lessons.

In my point-of-view opinion, the CMC won't be getting their marks this season BUT it will happen only in the altered reality timeline in the 2-part Season 5 finale...Literally.

But the answer is: The Cutie Mark Crusaders that we knew are might going to be a fake out in that they earn their cutie marks in the Season 5 finale in an altered timeline before things are returned to normal as "Blank Flanks".

You know for a second thought, I think The CMC did look better as "Forever Blank Flanks" as my opinion or our opinion.

And FYI, the CMC being Blank Flanks forever in fanfics SHOULD be CANON by now.

The foal designs were a little unfriendly to the implementation of their marks, I would give them that. I feel that the show would be shooting itself in the foot if they are Blank Flanks forever; they are meant to grow up and learn lessons that would aid them to discover their marks. I never take fanfic as a source of what should have been, rather, more of the idea. There are more ways to grow a character and I felt that the writers might take that route over just having them be uncertain forever.

The transition of blank flanks to getting their marks make for a good tension and emotive episode, and I doubt that the writers will give that up for continuous repetition. It is also a transition from seeking cutie marks to finding happiness or success.

• Brohoof 2

I bet some of the fans would leave the fandom if the CMC get their cutie marks in a same manner-ish way like the Princess Twilight/Twilicorn controversy. 

• Brohoof 1

I am upset as well as some fans of the show too because the CMC might get their marks this season...If they get it, their story is finished/done/over. Just like the Twilicorn controversy back in 2013. Well I never wanna say this, but...Haters gonna hate. It could be the end of the story of the CMC though and yes, they might go their own separate ways or stay friends forever...Forget it! There's no way they're gonna get their marks! I don't think so...