Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Luna never go to the gala?

Sazama Ichida

She probably is not too fond of big public events/parties. Given that she was isolated from society for an entire millennium. She may have always been that way though since many ponies would be asleep at night and she may have not had many socializing opportunities in her life, at least not a lot. I can definitely relate to the first part.

• Brohoof 1

I'd actually disagree with some of the above sentiments, while she does have the 'brooding solitary' style about her she's also proven as per Luna Eclipsed that she's perfectly willing to be social and party (or at least try, in spite of the awkwardness). I figure she simply wasn't depicted by animators due to time constraints or forgetfulness. Or maybe she's busy doing her night work and such, if we want to stretch an excuse.

• Brohoof 1

My headcanon for the original gala episode used to be that between the S1 premiere and Luna Eclipsed she was staying out of public and learning about the present day (but obviously didn't do a perfect job of it. :P) But then she didn't show up at this gala either... Big Jim said on Twitter it was because she works nights.

• Brohoof 2

She did go the the gala, silly. It was a while ago on one episode

I never saw her in The Best Night Ever or in Make New Friends But Keep Discord...Where was she?

• Brohoof 1

The fandom theory is that she's Queen Chrysalis. I personally hate that theory.

My old man (I got him into MLP) said after A Canterlot Wedding that at first he thought she was Luna being bad again. It's a shame he died before I got around to showing him S4 (should've done it sooner) - I'd have loved to see his reaction to the fakeout the first episode of S4 pulls.

(edited)

She wasn't at the Canterlot Wedding either. Maybe she didn't have anything to wear.

She probably is not too fond of big public events/parties. Given that she was isolated from society for an entire millennium. She may have always been that way though since many ponies would be asleep at night and she may have not had many socializing opportunities in her life, at least not a lot. I can definitely relate to the first part.

But she had no problem coming at that halloween event where many ponies were gathered so she can cause a big commotion.

Edited by cider float

Maybe she doesn't like going to social events or gatherings or maybe she feels if she goes other ponies will react negatively since she was once Nightmare Moon. Also I thought she did appear at the end of A Canterlot Wedding after Shining Armor and Cadance got married?

Maybe she doesn't like going to social events or gatherings or maybe she feels if she goes other ponies will react negatively since she was once Nightmare Moon. Also I thought she did appear at the end of A Canterlot Wedding after Shining Armor and Cadance got married?

She did appear at the wedding-she danced too. But she was nowhere to be seen during the attack.

She did appear at the wedding-she danced too. But she was nowhere to be seen during the attack.

Oh ok, yeah, Celestia was only one that tried to stop Queen Chrysalis, I find it sad Luna didn't even help her own sister.

(edited)

Oh ok, yeah, Celestia was only one that tried to stop Queen Chrysalis, I find it sad Luna didn't even help her own sister.

Yep. That's where the idea for her being Chrysalis came from, but I don't agree with that theory.

Edited by Nature's Spell

(edited)

She strikes me as someone who has no patience for political games and all the associated shoulder-rubbing, which the Gala basically seems to be, so she simply doesn't attend. Simple parties or genuine celebrations like Nightmare Night where one gets to kick loose? Sure. Snobby high-class events that seem to exist for the sake of themselves? She'd probably turn in to Nighmare again before the night was out.

Edited by Skyling

Maybe since it was shown in Luna Eclipsed that ponies are still afraid of her as Nightmare Moon, she didn't want to create a panic by showing up at the Gala (not realizing that the Gala usually ends in a panic anyway).