Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is Prince Blueblood from?

Lady Rarity Pony

Prince Blueblood is far too old to be Luna's child. It's something they've yet to cover but at the same time it seems like it'd be something they would just let go.

They couldn't very well say he was Celestia's son, just wouldn't fit into her character (though she'd probably be a fine mother) so they just named him nephew so he could still be a prince without turning her into a queen.

Also, we've yet to really explore all of Equestria in the series so maybe he's from another realm we've yet to explore.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, the "nephew" thing was all because in Rarity's fantasy in IIRC The Ticketmaster she's on about the Princess' nephew and the visual is the pony which later on, in The Best Night Ever, is the one she hooks up with. But her fantasy was a generic one, hoping to find her prince, whilst when she found him he never said that he was related. Its like I go to London and dream I meet a beautiful princess and in my mind I've got this vision and I name that vision, and when I go to London I do meet this beautiful princess, but she's not got the name I named her, even tho she may match my dream

I used to subscribe to the "Word of God" theory that Prince Blueblood is descended from one of Celestia and Luna's aunts or uncles, but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. Let me try and get my thoughts in order.

In my opinion Rarity's fantasy concerned Prince Blueblood - the exact same foalish colt that she met at the Gala - and not some generic prince. For one, she mentions his relation to Princess Celestia, whereas if she were talking about a generic prince then she either couldn't be so specific - as the various princes would likely be related to Celestia in a variety of different ways - or she would say "one of Celestia's nephews" (plural) rather than "Celestia's nephew" (singular). It also seems ridiculous that she would so desperately want to go to the Gala on a vague notion of maybe meeting a prince who she might like - Rarity seems like the type to occasionally indulge in gossip magazines (if they have gossip magazines in Equestria) so it's likely that she knows quite a bit about celebrities such as the royal family, and has her eyes set on a specific stallion, and had built up a fantastical image of him that he utterly failed to live up to.

So, with that we have both Rarity and Lauren Faust herself referring to Prince Blueblood as Celestia's nephew. However, Faust says that he's the "great, great, great ... nephew on Celestia's and Luna's mother's side" which is confusing, because a nephew is the child of one's sibling, not one's aunt or uncle, so you can't be somone's nephew on their mother's side. So either both Rarity and Faust are wrong about him being a nephew, or Faust is mistaken about him being descended from one of Celestia and Luna's aunts or uncles. Alternatively, Lauren Faust may be incorrect about him being specifically related to Celestia at all, and he may have been adopted into the family by some means.

Now, if Prince Blueblood is Celestia's nephew, this means he was either born to or adopted by one of her siblings. The only sibling of hers that we know to exist is Luna, but there is still the possibility that Celestia and Luna had more siblings that didn't live through the Times of Discord, though their children did.

Alternatively, Alicorns live for a long time, so it's possible that Prince Blueblood is descended from Luna's children from before she turned into Nightmare Moon. It's possible that he's always referenced as Celestia's nephew, rather than Luna's grandson, because of the social stigma of being associated with the treasonous Nightmare Moon.

Alternatively, "The Ticket Master" is set immediately after the two-part pilot, so it's possible that - in the time between the two episodes - Luna adopted Blueblood, making him Celestia's nephew and a Prince. It seems unlikely that Luna would adopt a child in order to raise it as her own so soon after the whole Nightmare Moon fiasco, and Blueblood is clearly an adult in "The Ticket Master", so this seems unlikely, but it's possible it was done entirely for political reasons. Blueblood may have be a member of one of Equestria's noble families, and formally adopting him into the royal family may be an attempt at allying with said noble family, or it may be a reward for services to the crown.

Alternatively, it may be the case that Celestia "adopts" individual nobles or whole noble families into the royal family (again, as an attempt at alliance or as a reward), as Lady Rarity suggested.

• Brohoof 2

Alright. Here's my first 'How it Really Happened' post of this forum.

HOW IT REALLY HAPPENED

CELESTIA AND LUNA

Before Luna became Nightmare Moon a thousand years ago, there were more members of the royal family. There were Princes, Princesses, and even Kings and Queens. Since Equestria is a Queendom, the female royalty holds all of the power. Therefore, the males were pretty much just there for publicity as figureheads.

Well, the problem arose because Celestia and Luna's mother and aunt (their mother's sister) both wanted the throne. So they hired assassins to kill each of their political enemies. Ponies from the royal family and even from the parliament wound up dead on a nearly daily basis. Well, eventually it was their mother who ended up becoming Queen. Their aunt was banished from the country, and their mother ruled for two years, before mysteriously dying right on the throne. Princess Celestia and Luna (fully grown at the time) agreed that Celestia would control the Sun and Luna would control the Moon, which gave them their cutie marks. Their cutie marks also bestowed upon them eternal life, hence why they're still alive 1000 years later. They both agreed never to get married or have children, for fear that such a conflict might happen again. Instead, a successor will be chosen by both of them when the time is right.

Then we had the intro to FiM, and we're back up to today.

Prince Blueblood, as fans call him, isn't a Prince at all. He's just a pony noble who is a big jerk and has nothing to do with the royal family. If anything, he's probably a member of some part of the Parliament that wants to take over Equestria and is trying to brownnose his way to the top. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the son of some sleazeball that Princess Celestia has no choice but to do business with because of political reasons.

Edited by SBaby

Some of your guys theories are a bit more complicated than I think it really is, thanks for sharing but I really do not think there were numerous Kings and Queens...as a monarchy that would make no sense and that leaves a huge gap in how it ended up as only 2 princesses in power :P

Could he be...(drumroll) Celestia's nephew?!?

Erm, the point of this topic is that him being Celestia's nephew causes some problems, as her only known sibling is Luna, who has been on the Moon for the past millennium.

Could he be...(drumroll) Celestia's nephew?!?

That's kinda what we've been discussing this entire time >.>

The point is he is her nephew yet her only sibling is Luna...meaning that he is Luna's son unless he was adopted.

While he is in the royal family he has no political power, I'm sure he must have power in his own family as he doesn't even a open a door for himself (he probably has somepony do it for him) but in Canterlot he has no power.