Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is Prince Blueblood from?

Lady Rarity Pony

Celestia and Luna rule Equestria, they are of queen status despite their titles, we have another thread discussing why they are princesses and not "queens" if you wish to see it.

"Princess" can still be a sovereign title, just like "Queen" and "Empress" (Monaco is a sovereign principality, just like Liechtenstein and Andorra), so there's no issue there, really.

I have. But im only saying. Seeing as they show as Princess' a Prince will have importance... he may not be an alicorn but still.

It's probably important to note that there are three different types of prince/princess: sovereign, noble and royal.

A sovereign prince or princess is the ruler of the country in question. They hold the same position as, say, the Queen, but they have a different title which is lower in the traditional order of diplomatic precedence (Sovereign Princesses are to Queens as Queens are to Empresses, basically). Celestia, and presumably Luna, is a sovereign princess.

A noble prince or princess is not necessarily part of the royal family. A noble prince or princess' title is generally tied to a territory - i.e. they are prince of a region of the country they live in (though they generally don't hold much power over said region). Noble principalities are rare nowadays, but many monarchies do/did maintain a noble principal title which would be used exclusively by the crown prince/princess. For example, the crown prince of Britain is Prince Charles, who holds the noble principal title of "Prince of Wales". Spain has a similar title for its crown prince - "Prince of Asturias".

A royal prince or princess is a member of the royal family who is not the monarch or the monarch's spouse. All members of the royal family are permitted this title, and it generally confers no specific power on the family member. As a nephew of Princess Celestia, Blueblood is a royal prince.

So, Blueblood may or may not hold any real power, as his title doesn't necessarily confer any powers onto him. He may be a noble prince as well as a royal prince, but no territorial title was mentioned so that seems unlikely.

• 3 years later...

Maybe "nephew" doesn't mean in Equestria what we occidentals undestand. Like the case of the use of the word "cousin" by the ancient hebrews, who gave it a meaning like " non inmediate relative".

My theory is that Prince Blueblood is indeed a far relative of the Regal Sisters, maybe a member of a distant side of the royal house. This variable is independent of whether or not he is adopted, but my personal believe is that he is. Or maybe, he was born in his part of the Royal House but raised by Celestia (as Luna was in exile), not as an adopted child, but as a pupil for political/practical reasons (he may reside in Canterlot while being trained to be an ambassador or whaterver).

Any way, I think this is obviously a little plot mistake by the crew of MLP:FIM, but my explanation to cover it is that "nephew" in Equestrian culture doesn't has the same meaning that in Human culture. Or, maybe it has different meanings depending on the situation. In that case, it could mean like "protege". Why not?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Perhaps 'nephew' is a loose title. Perhaps he's the son of one of her previous students, and so she refers to him as 'nephew'.

As for his name, instead of 'prince' being a title, it is literally Prince Blueblood.

Edited by StoneCold

Fun thing is that at first his title would be "Duke", but Hasbro requested it to be changed to Prince because the main target of the show wouldn't get the rank.

He's not really a prince prince.

He resembles a painting on a wall that makes it fancier, but that's all the range of his usefulness.

• 1 year later...

Well, Prince Blueblood is the many greats nephew (fifty-two times removed to be exact) nephew of both Tia and LuLu on their mother's side. So I'm guessing they had a half-sibling?

• Brohoof 1

I think he's related to Princess Platinum?

How could he be related to her?

I wouldn't be surprised if he was adopted.

He's the distant nephew of Celestia and Luna on their mother's side.

My headcanon has been and remains that Blueblood is the direct descendant of Princess Platinum, and thus is heir to the throne of the Unicorn Kingdom. Although his family no longer rules a kingdom, or even part of one, they have kept the title as a courtesy due to their ancestors' role in founding Equestria.

While this may not preclude him also being a multi-generations removed relation to Celestia as well, I think being called her "nephew" might also have been honourary.

My headcanon has been and remains that Blueblood is the direct descendant of Princess Platinum, and thus is heir to the throne of the Unicorn Kingdom. Although his family no longer rules a kingdom, or even part of one, they have kept the title as a courtesy due to their ancestors' role in founding Equestria.

While this may not preclude him also being a multi-generations removed relation to Celestia as well, I think being called her "nephew" might also have been honourary.

Good headcannon, buuuuuuuut he is the many greats and 52 times removed nephew of Celestia and Luna on their mother's side. So he could be a descendant of a child of a maternal first cousin as many call their first cousin's child their "nephew/niece"

I have 2 theories:

1: He is the son of Cosmos (the brother of Celestia who has not yet appeared in the show, but supposedly will appear in movie). This would explain why he is such a jerk (since Cosmos is evil).

2: He is adopted.

I have 2 theories:

1: He is the son of Cosmos (the brother of Celestia who has not yet appeared in the show, but supposedly will appear in movie). This would explain why he is such a jerk (since Cosmos is evil).

2: He is adopted.

Well he could be a descendant of a cousin of Celly and Lulu as many call their cousin's child their nephew or niece.

(edited)

Maybe Luna already had offspring before her imprisonment and they've been coming down the line for over 1000 years or something. Eh gave it a shot.

Edited by cider float

(edited)

Maybe Luna already had offspring before her imprisonment and they've been coming down the line for over 1000 years or something. Eh gave it a shot.

Well, Blueblood is the nephew of both Luna and Celestia, check out his wiki. Also Luna and Celestia have been confirmed to have never had children.

Edited by MissQuinn

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I heard Blueblood was originally going to be a Duke, which is a nobleman that has high authoity outside of the Royal Family, but I hear some executive meddling made him a Prince who's a very distant relative of Princess Celestia, because some foolish people thought that "Kids won't know what the heck a duke is" Way to keep kids educated about the varieties of authority. (rolls eyes). I've known what a Duke is since the 1950 animated Cinderella from Disney when it came out on VHS in the 90's.

Prince or Duke, I'll only start paying attention to Blueblood when anyone writes him with a nicer personality.