Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music I know records are technically poor quality, but

Tenor Clef

I prefer them to digitally recorded music. It's something about the crackle that's really chill. Do you guys prefer digital recordings or vinyl?

Edited by Dusk Moon

I depends on the genre though. If it's classical/jazz/swing hell yes! Vinyl all the way brutha! But if it's not the classics, say new age rock/metal nah not so much, though I do like a bit of the old school DJ scratching, with classic hip-hop& rap. A lot of today's music has been influence by bands that have been vinyl exclusive.

i wouldn't call records "poor quality". since audio is analogue by nature, a newly produced vinyl record would have higher quality audio than a CD would. thing about record is that they can get scratched and dirty, thus providing a crackling sound upon playback. also, vinyl records from the 60's-70's is bound to sound of lower quality because of the audio technology back then being of lesser quality, thus giving poor mastering when producing a vinyl record, thus giving poor audio quality upon playback than CD:s from nowadays.

the thing about CD:s is that they are a helluva lot more convenient to use than vinyl records when you want to listen to them, plus cheaper to produce than vinyl records. hell, if you had the equipment for it, you could probably produce a few CD records, yourself. vinyl mastering is a whole 'nother thing to deal with, as the audio information is analogue, i.e. permanently etched onto the record, as opposed to CD:s, which store the digital information a CD player reads upon playback.

...i seem to have strayed from the point again.

personally, i think vinyl records are a lot more cooler and fun to get than CD:s, but i prefer using CD:s for the simple fact that they're a damn lot more convenient to use than vinyl records. i always seem to think that i'll do something wrong when playing back a vinyl record, possibly because i have very little experience with it, personally, and thus make a bit of mistakes when doing that, whereas CD:s it's as easy as 1-2-3: just plop it into a CD player; done. since i'm a lazyass, it works well for me, lol.

• Brohoof 1

i wouldn't call records "poor quality". since audio is analogue by nature, a newly produced vinyl record would have higher quality audio than a CD would.

Touché, sir. Touché.

Sadly, I've never listened to a vinyl record. I really, REALLY want to 'cause my parents say it's THE way to listen to music (that, and live). It sucks, though, because my parents own a record player, but the needle's broken. And, uh, my favorite band released a vinyl of their newest album. I really want it to say the least.

Sadly, I've never listened to a vinyl record. I really, REALLY want to 'cause my parents say it's THE way to listen to music (that, and live). It sucks, though, because my parents own a record player, but the needle's broken. And, uh, my favorite band released a vinyl of their newest album. I really want it to say the least.

I know how it feels to have a broken needle. It's like "maaan, it's just one piece D:<". What album, if you don't mind me asking?

I know how it feels to have a broken needle. It's like "maaan, it's just one piece D:<". What album, if you don't mind me asking?

Major/Minor by Thrice. It's friggin amazing.

Major/Minor by Thrice. It's friggin amazing.

I don't think I've ever heard it. I'll take a listen on YouTube now though. I just recently bought a Fleet Foxes album. It's pretty slick

I don't think I've ever heard it. I'll take a listen on YouTube now though. I just recently bought a Fleet Foxes album. It's pretty slick

You should totally check out Thrice. They're the most creative band that, well, that I can think of, off the top of my head. None of their songs sound the same to one another, not even their old punk songs.

You should totally check out Thrice. They're the most creative band that, well, that I can think of, off the top of my head. None of their songs sound the same to one another, not even their old punk songs.

I think I heard one of their songs before. I believe it was about winter or dragons or coldness and it was in a weird time signature

I think I heard one of their songs before. I believe it was about winter or dragons or coldness and it was in a weird time signature

Yeah that sounds like something written by Thrice. They really like their mythology.

i wouldn't call records "poor quality". since audio is analogue by nature, a newly produced vinyl record would have higher quality audio than a CD would. thing about record is that they can get scratched and dirty, thus providing a crackling sound upon playback. also, vinyl records from the 60's-70's is bound to sound of lower quality because of the audio technology back then being of lesser quality, thus giving poor mastering when producing a vinyl record, thus giving poor audio quality upon playback than CD:s from nowadays.

the thing about CD:s is that they are a helluva lot more convenient to use than vinyl records when you want to listen to them, plus cheaper to produce than vinyl records. hell, if you had the equipment for it, you could probably produce a few CD records, yourself. vinyl mastering is a whole 'nother thing to deal with, as the audio information is analogue, i.e. permanently etched onto the record, as opposed to CD:s, which store the digital information a CD player reads upon playback.

...i seem to have strayed from the point again.

personally, i think vinyl records are a lot more cooler and fun to get than CD:s, but i prefer using CD:s for the simple fact that they're a damn lot more convenient to use than vinyl records. i always seem to think that i'll do something wrong when playing back a vinyl record, possibly because i have very little experience with it, personally, and thus make a bit of mistakes when doing that, whereas CD:s it's as easy as 1-2-3: just plop it into a CD player; done. since i'm a lazyass, it works well for me, lol.

All digital audio has sample rates (normal is 44.1 thousand times a second, the audio is sampled), whereas analogue has an infinite sample rate. All of the extremely high, "hidden partials" (harmonics) are lost on digital recordings, but are possibly retained on analogue mediums. They all help support that fundamental!

You think you like vinyl, wait until you hear 2" tape masters. :wub:

• 7 years later...
On 4/15/2012 at 1:43 PM, Tenor Clef said:

I prefer them to digitally recorded music. It's something about the crackle that's really chill. Do you guys prefer digital recordings or vinyl?

I prefer CD audio. Though I wish it was 48kHz instead of 44.1kHz stereo quality. Digital music doesn't degrade in quality over the years.

I do work with analog sounds, and there is a unique "alive" thing to them. I can understand the chill you are talking about!

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think all formats are equal. They're all good for different things and i wouldn't limit myself to one of them. But for me CDs are the funnest to collect and I'm the most familiar with them so the majority of physical releases i have are CDs. Digital music is the easiest to obtain for free though so my digital music library far outnumbers my physical releases but it's a pain to organize that stuff. Buying CDs is just the most enjoyable way to obtain music i think.

I prefer vinyl to digital because it has a less-polished and more natural sound. Vinyl records don't scratch as easily as CDs, but CDs have more capacity. So I'll acknowledge they both have their pros and cons, but I'm gonna go with the classic vinyl. It's always served me well.

• Brohoof 1

Of course less cracks and hisses are obviously better, if I could get rid of those, I would. More frequencies are also better. But I believe what was released in a certain year is best when consumed by it's era's medium.

I usually listen to 60s-80s music, and vinyl LPs were the most common way of listening to music then. CD re-releases are somewhat off and sometimes are really poorly translated.

I also think the era's mastering/mixing is best. That's the biggest reason why I listen to vinyl recordings. I don't mind that much about the medium itself, but judgung by how it's recorded, produced, mixed, mastered etc, I prefer vinyl recordings. I don't even own physical vinyl, I download the ripped audio files of a vinyl.

I recently started listening to the Beatles original mono LP recordings that were released back then, and they were the best version I heard so far. The stereo remixes were too much panned and felt like boasting the technology. King Crimson and Led Zeppelin, Megadeth original LPs sound fantastic. Of course they care very much about their product's audio quality, so their new re-realeses are great (except Megadeth), but still. The original is the original.

I think recordings came out post vinyl era should be listened digitally.

ps. I hate remasters. Originals are best because it is the way it is.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

Proof that "MLP Forums" is not an audiophile site:

Thread "I know records are technically poor quality, but" has not caused a huge flame war with a lot of users hating on the OP for saying that records are "poor quality".

In general, analog formats can gave great quality, but are more dependent on the quality of the equipment than digital formats. It is easier to make a "good" sounding CD player than it is to make a "good" sounding tape deck, but a "great" sounding CD player and a "great" sounding tape deck are both expensive.

Anyway, here's my take on it. If your records crackle - clean them and, when buying, look to see if they are scratched. You should also clean the dust every time before playing that side. Also, get a good record player, well, at least one with a magnetic cartridge. If you can afford an elliptical stylus it would be even better.

And while a record has lower dynamic range than a CD, most modern CDs are mastered in such a way that they do not have any dynamic range left because of loudness wars. Records usually sound better because older records were made before the loudness wars went full force and modern records are made for audiophiles. Also, you cannot make a record as loud as a CD because of technical limitations.

• Brohoof 3

I generally prefer digital Recordings but i have some Vinyls. Quite a lot actually, most of them are from the Musician Michael Cretu.

But i think digital Recordings or cds have a better Quality, so i prefer them. Even though i guess newer Vinyls may be way better as well, since Djs use them i think.

But Cds are more practical to me, because you can put them in a cd Player in your car.

I am just scared some company will start selling records, but uses mp3 files as sources for the sound, just to sell records to record-nerds.

3 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

Thread "I know records are technically poor quality, but" has not caused a huge flame war with a lot of users hating on the OP for saying that records are "poor quality".

Me too. My first instinct was "WHAT!????"

You'd think that me being someone who prefers pop music from the 60s and 70s over anything later I might be drawn to records... But not really. I grew up hearing music mostly on the radio, on cassette tapes very early on, and later on CDs (the formats I've heard most 60s/70s music on are the radio, CDs, MP3s, and through streaming platforms). I'm not really connected to records. It's one thing that makes sense about me given the generation I grew up in. Digital all of the way!  (except for the instruments. NO DIGITAL INSTRUMENTS.)

Edited by Envy

• 2 months later...