Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Jeric

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?  

318 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

In my opinion, this episode is tied with Tanks for the Memories as my favourite of this season. We didn't see Luna that much, this times, so it's nice to see her again not just as a background pony.

"Luna did it!"

"She sure did! Only... I'm not exactly sure what she did."

^

Sums up my entire feelings on the episode.

I think I'll need a second rewatch because I was just lost.

The sequences were nice, and Luna was good in this episode and the background pones were great.

Only... what did I just watch? It was so incoherent. It was rushed... Just... huh?

Think of it like Age of Ultron:

• Luna, like Tony Stark, creates something out of guilt over hurting others (Tantabus for Luna; Ultron for Stark).
  • Like Ultron, Tantabus, fueled by its creator's self-loathing, escapes and decides to save the world by janking it up.
  • Luna enlists the assistance of the Mane Six (and Spike!) to track down Tantabus, just like Stark and the Avengers hunting down Ultron.
  • Everypony lives out their worst nightmares, like Scarlet Witch's hallucinations. Spike, like Hawkeye, avoids this fate.
  • A mega battle eventually ensues in a rural setting wherein the ponies must stop Tantabus from enacting its ultimate plan. Compare to the Avengers battling Ultron in Sokovia to prevent his extinction level event.
  • A flying super being who shoots lasers from his forehead is created from the magic of friendship: Big McIntosh in this episode, the Vision in Age of Ultron.
  • The battle concludes in a dramatic fashion as the villain is destroyed.
  • Quicksilver dies.
  • A friendship lesson is learned in time for Twilight Sparkle: Civil War.
  • Brohoof 7

• Luna, like Tony Stark, creates something out of guilt over hurting others (Tantabus for Luna; Ultron for Stark).
  • Like Ultron, Tantabus, fueled by its creator's self-loathing, escapes and decides to save the world by janking it up.
  • Luna enlists the assistance of the Mane Six (and Spike!) to track down Tantabus, just like Stark and the Avengers hunting down Ultron.
  • Everypony lives out their worst nightmares, like Scarlet Witch's hallucinations. Spike, like Hawkeye, avoids this fate.
  • A mega battle eventually ensues in a rural setting wherein the ponies must stop Tantabus from enacting its ultimate plan. Compare to the Avengers battling Ultron in Sokovia to prevent his extinction level event.
  • A flying super being who shoots lasers from his forehead is created from the magic of friendship: Big McIntosh in this episode, the Vision in Age of Ultron.
  • Quicksilver dies.

.... so you're saying this was secretly the best episode ever?

• Brohoof 4

.... so you're saying this was secretly the best episode ever?

If James Spader had voiced Tantabus? Sure! For now you'll have to settle for the Mighty Spike and Big McInvision.

• Brohoof 2

<p>

• Quicksilver dies.

My brain hurts now. It makes so much sense! Also, I think it should be AJ that's Cap. Or RD.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Ah ok. When I read Music Chart Fan's post the question was asked in there what did Luna really do to deserve all this punishment and saw your reply, it seemed like it was along the same lines as what I was thinking. But I did misunderstand since I felt like all they could do is put false memories into her because if I were in her hooves, I wouldn't give a hoot what some entity possessing me tried to tell me about myself since I wouldn't have any respect for anything they said since it was them who got me into that mess of becoming Nightmare Moon in the first place. I do feel bad you had to go through that in your own past; I cannot imagine what it would be like.

Back to Luna punishing herself: One other explanation could be that even though she didn't really do anything terrible other than (maybe) try to kill the Mane 6 is perhaps the two sisters swore an oath to protect all of ponydom when they ascended to the throne - thus becoming a mother figure to everypony. So her trying to murder our six heroines is tantamount to filicide (yes that's actually the term for human parent->child murder - how ironic) and she can't forgive herself for it. :(

I'm mostly fine now because I came to live with my grandparents three years ago and I have an amazing therapist. Just because you have no respect for somebody doesn't mean you won't start to believe what they say when you hear it all the time, and all Luna heard for a thousand years was how terrible she was. She must have been in therapy 24/7 until Luna Eclipsed.

I'm pretty sure Luna and Celestia were in the alicorn equivalent to their early teens when they became princesses. They were mature enough to run a country, but the entire castle was a fun house for Luna. They may have been slightly younger, but certainly no older, so they were too young to be mother figures.

Edited by melody5697

Poor Luna...

And once again, Celestia proves herself as a complete prick of a sister and didn't help her with her problems

Screw what show canon says, I'm pretty sure it's been at least three years between Luna's return and this episode

post-27449-0-33529900-1436815932_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

Poor Luna...

And once again, Celestia proves herself as a complete prick of a sister and didn't help her with her problems

Screw what show canon says, I'm pretty sure it's been at least three years between Luna's return and this episode

I don't think Luna told Celestia about her self-harm. Celestia can't help her when she doesn't know what's going on. Also, I'm pretty sure it's been less than two years. The episodes just aren't in chronological order.
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think Luna told Celestia about her self-harm. Celestia can't help her when she doesn't know what's going on. Also, I'm pretty sure it's been less than two years. The episodes just aren't in chronological order.

Yeah, miscommunication is huge problem in Equestria

Just watched it. Pretty crazy episode. Also, I loved how Peter New got his Princess Big Mac in it. Flutterbat returned for a few seconds as well, which was rather cool. I liked this episode. Though, Luna beats herself up too much. :(

Also, the title of the episode itself...Great reference to the Novel "Do Androids dream of Mechanical sheep"..Which was made into a movie called "Blade Runner".

FINALLY. ANOTHER LUNA EPISODE. IM SO HAPPY. I'm even wearing my Luna shirt!

Luna best princess confirmed. Seriously, her character development is just so great. I just adore her character and how she's changed over the season.

This episode was huge on an epic scale, and it was a lot of fun. I think this was one of the much better episodes of the season.

I'm sorry, but Luna isn't best Princess.

THIS IS

princess_big_mac_by_onnanoko-d6f93xd.png

Semi joking ;) 

But yeah, I loved this ep too.

Poor Luna...

Why help her when she's not aware that there's a problem?

The Mane Six were unaware of this problem before and the only reason that they were involved at all was because the creature causing Luna problems started causing them problems, too.

Luna strikes me as being very guarded even around Celestia, and while Celestia's heart reaches out dearly for her sister, there's naught she can do if Luna doesn't want help.

• Brohoof 1

Why help her when she's not aware that there's a problem?

The Mane Six were unaware of this problem before and the only reason that they were involved at all was because the creature causing Luna problems started causing them problems, too.

Luna strikes me as being very guarded even around Celestia, and while Celestia's heart reaches out dearly for her sister, there's naught she can do if Luna doesn't want help.

Mhh...as I said, Miscommunication is a major problem in Equestria

But without it, we wouldn't have the premise for at least 50 episodes...

Mhh...as I said, Miscommunication is a major problem in Equestria

But without it, we wouldn't have the premise for at least 50 episodes...

To be fair it's a realistic issue.

Many people are suffering out there and none of us are aware of it because despite claiming they want help, a larger part of them doesn't, and unfortunately sometimes they blame the other party instead of realizing that they can't expect people to be psychic and just know that they're suffering.

• Brohoof 1

I thought it was pretty funny. It had good humor in it and I was glad to see Luna again. I liked her regrets and how she was trying to punish herself for it. I found the character to be a bit deeper and I loved seeing her in action. I loved that episode :D 

I think it's OK to post some fan art here. This one really hit home.

936984__safe_monochrome_princess+luna_pr

Sometimes you need to lower your guard, let yourself be vulnerable so that you can be taken care of... and I know how difficult that can be when you believe yourself to be condemned and unlovable.

• Brohoof 3

To be fair it's a realistic issue.

Many people are suffering out there and none of us are aware of it because despite claiming they want help, a larger part of them doesn't, and unfortunately sometimes they blame the other party instead of realizing that they can't expect people to be psychic and just know that they're suffering.

It's a whole mess of things I'd rather stay away from

I know what Luna's going through all too well and it's part of why I love her

This episode only serves to reinforce my belief that Luna is indeed best princess.

Am I the only one who thought of Giant!Derpy as a possible nod to the SDCC 2012 Derpy toy(which I happen to have)?

i liked this episode, especially the last half of the episode. Not going to lie, princess or alicorn Big Mac was probably my favorite part! Hopefully we get to see a Celestia episode this season or at least before episode #200! :sunbutt:

• Quicksilver dies.

Congratulation, you found the hidden reference in this episode  :D