Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Jeric

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?  

318 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

• 2 weeks later...

This has to be one of my favorite episodes of this season.

It was really fun seeing all the crazy things that the ponies did in the dreamworld.

I found this to be a nice way to end the first half of the season.

Wait, if Luna sleeps at night then where does she go in the day?

I think when the plot was resolved, it had become morning, but I'd bet also that she would easily have fallen asleep after that ordeal no matter what time it was - that must have been exhausting!

This episode has a bit of a reputation for misrepresenting self-harm and depression...but I don't really agree. Here's how I see it:

What Luna did isn't self-harm in the usual sense--It's penance. She's not hurting herself to numb some emotional pain or to distract herself from depression or anything like that--she's punishing herself. Punishing herself for a bad deed that she never felt she really got punished for, because she wasn't herself when she was on the moon. Granted, she wasn't herself when she was wreaking havok, but that's kind of the point of the episode.

Anyways, people disliked the ending, and how she got over it all so easily. True, it was a little rushed, but most developments are when you only have 23 minutes to tell the whole narrative. In my opinion, the episode didn't end with her magically ridding herself of depression, as critics are perceiving it. It ended with her ridding herself of her overstock guilt--and i will remind everyone that guilt is a very normal emotion to have and doesn't have to be associated with any sort of disorder to be believable.

Also, its important to notice that the Tantabus didn't die. It simply shrunk, to a more manageable size. Luna still has that guilt within her, but now she has better understanding of the situation and better control over it. What she needed--and what she got--was a reassurance from the people who love her that she is a good person (pony?) and that they had forgiven her. She still will need time to forgive herself, but the support from her loved ones is helping her to cope.

• Brohoof 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

its a stellar episode. Amazing animation, the return and inclusion of fanfavourite characters (and the appereance of princes big mac) and seeing luna strugling with this made her even more relatable.

• 3 weeks later...

So many things wrong with this episode, I mean don't get me wrong I loved the episode, but there were so many features that had me shacking my head. I will start with that intro, ok fair enough it needed to tell a bit about the plot, but did the writers really need to use the superpowerd version of the ponies from the season 4 finale? Tbh I think it would of made as much sence to have Twilight and the others wear the elements instead, coz if I'm correct, the elements restore harmony where as when the ponies are charged up like that I think that's for restoring magic (only going from what I saw in the finale :/)

I'll name one more example as my fingers are starting to hurt coz iPad typing hurts ... And I'm sure everyone knew I would say this ... Princess Big Mac. GG ... Where to start? Hmm oh yea, the design, ok so I think that design was put off until the last minute as the quality was pretty sucky. I mean take Princess Twilight, her design didn't add that many more colours ... Now that I think about it, it didn't include any new colours, just the wings. With Princess Big Mac however, I knew the writers wanted a little more colour to his current design. Fair enough because his colour was pretty bad to do what they did with Twilight .... Just saying

Over all I'd say I rate this Ep 8/10 it misses 2 points for alicorn Big Mac xD

• 1 month later...

This episode solidified Luna as best Princess for me. 

She's just......... deeper......... than the others.  Seems to feel a greater variety of feelings.  She seems to struggle more and thus has had to grow more.

Some pretty deep thoughts in here whether you are 8 or 80.

• Brohoof 1

By far my most fave episode with adorable Luna! Before that it was the season (2? ) Luna eclipsed but seeing this episode and her in action, also so much of her. Just one of my most fave episodes of the season! And isn't she even cuter when her face was sweating. 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly this has to be one of my favorite MLP episodes. It dives further into Princess Luna's character, which was completely underutilized in the previous seasons. It showed that although the world has moved on, Luna could not forgive herself for her past mistakes. It could be said that Luna, even though five seasons have passed now, is still going through character reformation. Which is understandable; living 1000 years on the moon left to your wicked thoughts would more than likely permanently scar you for life.

Warmest of Breezes,

ST

• 3 weeks later...

This was an impressive way for Luna to have an episode centered on herself as she dealt with the guilt and remorse she had over the crimes she committed as Nightmare Moon, and how it was the Mane Six who were able to help her overcome it so she could move on and get a much needed good night's sleep at long last.

10/10 from me with this Luna-centered episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just HAVE to share this little-known video that explains why Luna felt the way she did even better than I can (and that's saying something, since Luna and I have the same personality type and I felt almost EXACTLY how she felt):

• 3 weeks later...