Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Jeric

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?  

318 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I think I just dreamed I saw the best episode ever! If this dose'nt seal the deal that Luna is the best princess I don't know what will. I don't think any of the other princesses could have had as deep, or compelling story. And we thought "Bloom and Gloom" had Inception references! The call-backs! Power ponies! Flutterbat! Sir Spike! The not call back, dream wack! Lyra-Bon! Alicorn Princess Mac! Evil Angel! Giant Derpy!

The anuibus looked like Luna's tail. When she was chasing it, it was like she was chasing her own tail. Which, as it turns out, she was.

Lyra-Bon: they're that close.  ;)

I was sort of thinking the same thing with the tantabus or whatever it was called. Looks a lot like Luna's tail or mane. Didn't know she had made it in the beginning, though.  :o

• Brohoof 2

This was ... the best Luna episode yet and one of the best episodes of this season so far.

absolutely

I think this is the most screentime and the biggest role she had so far, isn't it?

Alright, the episode was awesome! I love how Luna even admits that Celestia is useless, and Spike is still constantly reminded of his exclusion from the Mane Six. :P

I loved everything else even more... especially the brief return of Flutterbat!

No, you're not the only one. And this isnt the only show to that. Bufft the Vampire Slayer writers did that almost every episode. The entire hour was struggle, plan, struggle, search, struggle, fight, then in the last five minutes stake a vamp or do a magic spell. Definitely could have been a two parter. It was fast paced, but a small price to pay for a great story.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that it was too rushed. I do think having Luna sleep peacefully was the best way to do a speedy ending, but it would have been so heartwarming to have another scene after she wakes up and feels better and they all (including Celestia) hug her and cry happy tears. But as you say, even hour long shows always bail before the hugging and crying :P

As I said in this MMC thread, Twilight's realization of friendship, and becoming an alicorn are (IMO) the most significant moments in the series. But Luna's transformation back from Nightmare Moon, and now this are probably the next two. This is the conclusion of her story arc of over 1000 years. I really hope she appears in the first episode after the hiatus, beginning her new story arc as a free mare.

Seriously, she's been intentionally having nightmares every day for the entire series. That's just awful to think about :( Not healthy behavior at all. Really, we have self-harm addressed... in a kids' show? That's intense. I wonder if Celestia was at all aware that she was doing it.

(edited)

Oh forgot, Celestia cannot go into dreams.. Is now canon

Now all we need is a Celestia centered episode.. Life would be complete

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 6

I'm seeing some criticisms on the exposition. I think that may be Scott Sonneborn's biggest weakness. He makes it too blatant. Just look at this and Trade Ya.

Ya this was mind blowing pandering. Its like the flood gates have been opened and it just pours out of every crack and crevase

Though I adore this episode, I do think there were some missed opportunities. For example, Celestia should have been there for her. I don't think it matters if Celestia might have been really tired or that she couldn't help in the dream world. I still would have loved to see Celestia supporting her sister considering how serious this issue was. I mean, it was about Luna's guilt about the incident that led to her 1000 year banishment. I know it may be over analytical to think about it this way but I figure all is game in a discussion thread like this. This episode implies that either Celestia has not talked to her sister about this issue or that Luna rejected her sister's approaches - both situations are not good for their relationship or for Luna's physical and mental health.

• Brohoof 1

Luna: "There is nothing my sister can do." 

There never is, is there?  :sunny:

I liked the episode overall, though it did have some flaws. Also, I really can't swallow the notion that Fluttershy would ever choose to be Flutterbat again for ANY reason whatsoever. 

But at least we know that Big Mac = Best Princess and that Lyra and Bon Bon's blatant homosexuality towards each other can no longer be denied. 

• Brohoof 1

But at least we know that Big Mac = Best Princess and that Lyra and Bon Bon's blatant homosexuality towards each other can no longer be denied. 

I said this in my Slice of Life review, and I'll say it again here, the writers deliberately want fans to be able to interpret Lyra and Bon Bon however they want.  You want to ship 'em, cool, you don't wanna ship 'em, cool, neither interpretation is incorrect.  It's like how Sesame Street will never actually weigh in one way or another on the Bert and Ernie thing, they want fans to interpret it however they want because it'd be getting too political for the show to deliberately make any interpretation canon, not to mention disappoint a chunk of fans.  It's head canon that doesn't need to be touched because doing so would be more harmful than actually leaving it up in the air, though again, I appreciate that the writers are acknowledging both interpretations this season in Lyra and Bon Bon's major appearances. 'tis most enjoyable to watch.

OK, so... wow, way to end the first half of Season 5 on a high note, am I right?!  :muffins:   Welcome back everypony to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews," and holy cow, was that quite the episode!  I literally have nothing bad to say about this one, at all, so very much like the "Slice of Life" episode review, this review's going to be more of a big ol' text of fangasming more than anything else.  Without further ado, let's jump right into "Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?"

So before we get to the more substantive bits of the episode, namely anything having to do with Princess Luna, let's look at more crowd-pleasing elements first, cause there were A LOT from start to finish.  So, first, the Mane 6.  The episode for the most part had a nice balance of all of them, something we haven't seen much since the start of the season and doubly impressive considering the episode didn't actually star them as the main characters.  They contributed heavily towards the lesson of the episode, but still, they were not the stars here, and the fact that they were so seamlessly woven into the screen time without taking away from Luna was incredibly impressive to say the least.  Spike also had a great episode from start to finish, and was helpful in quite a few capacities.  Definitely one of his better supporting roles this season, both in and out of the dreams (especially when Buff Spike returned).  The Mane 6's dreams were all very entertaining and unique, and made sense for all of them (both the ideal dreams and the nightmares), though some stood out more than others.  Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy's, and Rainbow Dash's were especially amazing and creative; Pinkie with her random inability to stay in one part of a dream the second her subconscious thinks of another spot (and dear Lord, how she keeps sanity doing that is beyond me  :blink:), Fluttershy's Angel Bunny nightmare was too funny (though Angel wasn't exactly any different than usual  ;)), and OH MY GOSH Rainbow Dash's nightmare, PERFECTION!!!  How do you do a Barney reference and an Anchorman reference at the same time?  THAT'S HOW!!!  ^_^

sig-3927803.sig-3927803.large.gif

Jazz flute... so much jazz flute!  :unsure: 

But even as amazing as their individual dreams were, they all paled in comparison to that final dream with ALL OF PONYVILLE!!!  Holy cow, that was fun.  Let's just list off everything that was here, in no particular order; we had a ton of callbacks, including Rainbow Dash and Applejack taking on their Power Pony identities, Spike turning into Buff Spike, Fluttershy turning into Flutterbat, and so on; we had a whole lot of new stuff as well, especially from the background ponies, including Lyra and BonBon being fused together in one of the greatest CatDog references I've ever seen, bucking Big Mac literally turning into an alicorn princess and simultaneously referencing magical girl anime (GOSH DANG IT, THANK YOU LARSON!!!), Filthy Rich flying around through the power of money (because of course he would), flying muffins (just go with it), flying Scootaloo with, I'll admit, quite terrifying looking giant wings, Rarity sewing up the sky itself (a very nice creative touch there that I for one liked very much), pretty much every other major background pony in Ponyville (including Mr. Cake actually getting a speaking role, which I liked), and GIANT DERPY WHO SOUNDS LIKE A CAT WHICH IS JUST THE MOST AMAZING THING EVER (only topped by BUFF SPIKE MOUNTING AND RIDING GIANT CAT DERPY INTO BATTLE, OMG THAT WAS THE MOST GLORIOUS IMAGE EVER THAT SHALL FOREVER BE INGRAINED INTO MY BRAIN, YAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!).  And ALL OF THESE PONIES, the Mane 6, Spike, all of Ponyville were battling a nightmarish entity inside of a giant shared dream, and it was BUCKING GLORIOUS!!!  So yeah, uhhhhhhhh... lots of "little" stuff like that that contributed to making this episode friggin' amazing.  :pinkie:

sig-3927803.sig-3927803.934848__safe_sol

Well that's just terrifying.  Berry, go home, even in the dreamscape you're drunk.  :mellow: 

sig-3927803.sig-3927803.large.jpg

Well... at least they're taking this awfully well.

sig-3927803.934812__safe_screencap_derpy

This is the greatest thing I've ever seen

But finally, we are brought to the core of the episode itself, and this is what lifted it from simply being amazing, to being "OH MY GOSH, GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF AWESOMENESS!!!"  I am talking of course about Princess Luna and the Tantabus.  First of all, it is worth noting that this was Princess Luna's first true role in the show starring her as THE main character of an episode since "Luna Eclipsed" wayyyyyyyyy back in Season 2.  She's had some very solid appearances since then, and has really been showing up a whole lot this season especially, but as an ardent fan of Princess Luna (Best Princess, now and always), I adored seeing her in a starring role here.  Besides that, the issues addressed were very heavy, they were addressed very impressively, and they also made perfect sense for her character.  The Tantabus, as we only learned as the episode progressed, was a nightmarish entity born of Luna's very own guilt.  This is not just any guilt, this is the guilt of a thousand-year-old mistake, a mistake that hurt many ponies and cost Luna and her sister Celestia so very much.  The weight of this guilt was especially apparent in Luna's words at the end when she finally confessed exactly what the Tantabus was through sorrowful tears as it looked like she was bringing suffering to Equestria all over again.  That scene was simply utter perfection, and it's mostly because the writers earned it.  Throughout the episode, Luna was desperately trying to fix this on her own, but for the wrong reasons; her guilt was fueling her desperate efforts, and that guilt in turn only fueled the Tantabus more and made it stronger.  While she defeated it a bit quickly at the end, it still felt fine because she defeated it only when she finally realized that not only had her friends and all of Equestria forgiven her, but that she herself truly had changed.  She need no longer fear that she will become Nightmare Moon again, no longer need let her past sins control or guide her actions.  Indeed, so ashamed was she of her time as Nightmare Moon, so fearful that it could happen again that we learned she purposefully created the Tantabus in order to remind herself of her past failures every single night in nightmarish dreams of her own of her very own making.  That is simply tragic, and it adds so many layers to Luna's character.  But now she is free of her guilt, free of the pain she caused herself and others so many centuries ago, and that was all wonderfully encapsulated in that final image of Luna sleeping in a beautiful, serene dreamscape representation of the inner peace that she has finally achieved.  I loved, loved, loved everything about Luna here, and while it may not have been her funniest showing (that honor still goes to "Luna Eclipsed"), it is still by far the greatest Princess Luna episode of MLP for me personally.  She has finally closed the book on Nightmare Moon once and for all, and the fact that that sin haunted her for so long makes all the sense in the world.  But now she is free at last of all the ghosts of her past, and dear Lord could it not possibly have been presented any better than it was here.  This may very well be one of my top 10 favorite MLP episodes of all time from now on, it was simply that good, especially in Princess Luna's story arc.

Besides that, there were just a few other little things that were very nice about this episode.  It was great seeing all the pets again, including Tank, who appears to be back from his hibernation, yay!  :yay:   The animation as always was incredibly top notch and we had a whole lot of very different but inventive and wildly creative locations to see here in the multitude of dreamscapes and the strange creations inhabiting them all.  It was a cool bit of canon that apparently Celestia has never had any power to enter into or alter dreams, very cool that the writers cleared that up.  And finally the pacing here was just too good, I swear, DHX has simply hit a sweet spot level of perfection at this point when it comes to pacing their episodes that few ever do.  If they could fit such an epic episode with so much at stake into 22 minutes and still make it work, my gosh, what can't they do?!  All around, this was just a perfect episode, and with a mid-season hiatus now in full swing, I don't think we could've asked for a better one to close the first half of Season 5 out.  This'll probably be the last edition of "Batbrony Reviews" for a while, but don't worry, MLP and my reviews will both be back in no time ya'll, and I look forward to hanging out with you all again in a few months to close out the rest of Season 5!  Until then, this is Batbrony, ecstatic and signing off.  I'm off!!! *cue dramatic exit*

sig-3927803.large.png

A dream a thousand years in the making; sleep well, Luna  :kindness: 

• Brohoof 6

Watched fully now

This episode's pretty good... eh, who am I kidding, it's awesome! So many weird dream things happened that are gonna make so many headcanons go crazy lol. Plus Luna finally did something, yay... the fact that she was punishing herself with that Tantalus thing all this time is kinda heartbreaking, I think I like her a little more now. :)

All in all an amazing episode in the entertainment value department with just enough sentiment to make it one of the masterpieces I'd say. Brilliant. :D

Also Big Mac is best alicorn :please:

10/10

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, that was a treat.

All of those dream sequences blew my mind. Good callbacks as well. Can't wait til' the second half of the season comes!

Edited by Blackened

@batbrony or i guess i should say @writing staff, omg buff, spike, angel, and bunny nightmares? Stop it, you're fueling my already re-erupting urge to binge BtVS again!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

"Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep" is another episode of MLP that I find no flaws with so I'm just going to explain what I loved about it. First of all I loved the insight into Princess Luna and loved seeing her as a main character in an episode again. I felt so sorry for Luna in this and how she was so self destructive. I liked seeing how Luna uses dream magic. I love that they were once again able to use the idea of dreams again even though the CMC dreams episodes are over. I loved that they went all out with the craziness of the dreams. I loved the giant Derpy/Muffin, Alicorn big mac, big winged Scootaloo and Twilight rebuilding the tree house in one minute as well as the continuity that came with it like the Power Pony references and Flutterbat and Rainbow Power. My favorite part of the dreams personally was seeing Rarity actually defend herself using her magic like leasers the way Twilight usually does. I would adore seeing Rarity boldly defend herself with magic outside of a dream. Pinkie's thoughts going by super fast was brilliant because it was so in character. I was even more impressed that Scott Sonneborn who wrote "Somepony to Watch Over Me" wrote this. It felt more like a Dave Polsky or M.A Larson or McCarthy episode. I guess the only thing that I wish had happened in this episode was Spike saving the day but it really had to be Luna to stop the Tantabus not Spike(and Spike did basically figure out what was going on) so not complaining here. It reminded me so much of Nightmare Rarity the comic but switched around and changed a bit.

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 1

I'll show princess luna that God has the power to do anything. I don't think that she should have asked the mane 6 to find that Tantabus to turn ponies dreams into nightmares, it just isn't right.

Another woodwind canonically confirmed! Yay!

Otherwise, I found it to be another stellar episode, showing Luna's guilt was a neat idea! Although they ran a bit too wild with the popular background ponies again.