Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?

Jeric

S05:E13 - Do Princesses Dream of Magical Sheep?  

318 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

(edited)

Holy crap. Wow finally a proper episode. This is one I can get into big time.

I love that there is a large addition to Luna's overall character depth and story line, and I like how they incorporated a way to communicate her struggle and redemption to all of ponyville at the same time, which took a contribution on her part as well as admitting she needed and must accept help at the same time. Brilliant. Twilight did her part without being self centered and condescending. Spike even had a neat little surprise in him tho its too bad it couldn't have been a hero opportunity for him or anypony else.

Im not saying every episode has to be that threatening of a conflict. But this episode was pretty enthralling as a whole.

Edited by Lexamena

(edited)

The only issues I noticed was some of the dialogue. Did we really need to be reminded what the...Tantabus (That how you say it?) was going to do that many times? I think people would get it after the first or second time. It was also kinda rushed, felt like it ended a bit too quickly, It might have worked a bit better as a two parter.

Other than that though...It was fast-paced, tons of action, callbacks and references to the past left and right, involved not just the mane six and Luna, but Spike and the rest of ponyville into the action. It had some amazing dream imagery, and Luna punishing herself for her actions? That's...surprisingly kinda dark. I rather like it in this case.

It's not perfect, but I enjoyed almost every second, definitely want to rewatch this one.

Edited by BaysemeantPoneigh

Of the first half. More will come later this year.

As for the climax, talk about extreme rushing and an anticlimax. The humor was great, but it could've been spaced out better with better showing of the conflict rather than telling.

It really should have been a two-parter, some kind of mid-season finale.

• Brohoof 1

Season 5 has been of inconsistent quality, with some good episodes and some bad. This one is squarely in the field of good.

What a way to start the hiatus, with an epic battle that involves all of the ponies and not just the mane 6! I'm one of the few who hated Slice of Life, and IMO this would have made a much better episode 100 than what we got. There were just enough nods to the fandom to let us know that they are aware of us, while not going overboard and making it feel forced and cringeworthy.

This episode also advances the overall plot of the show, by giving Luna some lasting character development. We now know that she was still feeling guilty about the Nightmare Moon incident, and has now forgiven herself for it upon realizing that everypony else had forgiven her too.

So many things in this episode, so many things! And Luna forgiving herself in the end, man this episode was great. This season is so far my favorite season so far. Great way to end the first half of this season. Man, do I love this show!

• Brohoof 1

Did this episode remind anyone else of the Nightmare Rarity comic?

I'm wondering if this episode did anything to impact Nightmare Rarity comic arc in positive or negative fashion.

(edited)

Anybody else think Discord should've been in that dream world? The one where they were all connected I mean?

My headcanon is that he doesn´t dream like the ponies do - simply because the whole world of Equestria is a dream he has, and when anyone else dreams in his dream, he has that dream as well.

Edited by ~ Dr. Ocsid ~

(edited)

Gotta say, that had to be the craziest episode made to date now with twice the fan pandering power

Theres so much to point out, here are a few favorites

Inception is now canon

Princess Alicorn Big Macintosh

Pinky Pie sleeps with Applejack

The Golden surfer.

Yall do realize that this was Angle Bunnys true form, not a dream

Derpy, larger then life

Flutterbat

And best if all *for me* some Rarity and Luna interaction.

Im sure there are many others i can point out but this is good for now, I like this crazy episode

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

What an episode!

As if they weren't done with Slice of Life, they threw in even more craziness for the fans! We got manly Spike, Scootaloo flying, a meowing Derpy, a LyraBon tease, heck they even threw in Alicorn Big Mac with a Sailor Moon transformation reference thrown in there as well! Sure it may have been all a dream, but it was like the writers and animations saying "We're sorry for making you wait for the rest of Season 5, here's a little surprise for you!" Boy did they ever deliver with all the callbacks and references! It was great to see another Princess Luna centered episode! Even Nightmare Moon made another appearance despite it being a nightmare Luna was having.

They really did not disappoint with this mid-season finale! Shame we'll have to wait a bit before the rest of the Season 5 continues, but hopefully it won't be a long wait!

• Brohoof 2

Season 5 has been of inconsistent quality, with some good episodes and some bad. This one is squarely in the field of good.

What a way to start the hiatus, with an epic battle that involves all of the ponies and not just the mane 6! I'm one of the few who hated Slice of Life, and IMO this would have made a much better episode 100 than what we got. There were just enough nods to the fandom to let us know that they are aware of us, while not going overboard and making it feel forced and cringeworthy.

This episode also advances the overall plot of the show, by giving Luna some lasting character development. We now know that she was still feeling guilty about the Nightmare Moon incident, and has now forgiven herself for it upon realizing that everypony else had forgiven her too.

What episodes would you say were bad?

(edited)

First, let me get this out of the way.

AAAHHH WEEE HEHEHEHEHE IT'S LUNA! IT'S A LUNA EPISODE OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I'M GOING TO DIE! YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MUCH LUNA OMG SOMEONE GET ME A HEART DOCTOR OR A WITCH DOCTOR!!!! AHHHHHHH HELP ME I'VE FANBOYED AND I CAN'T GET UP!!!!

*panting*

Okay. 

Now that that's settled, time for some preliminary thoughts. I really enjoyed this episode. The dream jumping was fun. Getting to see everybody's dreams. Pinkie's random skipping around was fantastic, but Rainbow Dash's nightmare was the best part. That song they sang there sounded very much like Barney and I couldn't help but cackle like a hyena because I thought of the "I love you, you love me" song in G major. The pacing wasn't perfect, and the change felt kinda sudden, but I understand they do only have 22 minutes of run time to work with and they want to keep things enjoyable. However, Luna could have done with a more drawn out change. Maybe have the growth occur sooner and have Twi tell her sooner that it was her guilt making it grow. Luna doubts it for a while and finally Twi says something like, "You'll just have to trust me." But with all the well-placed humor, I can overlook that for now. I feel like I'd be nitpicking if I said "This isn't enjoyable because the climax was rushed." 

What really got me going was the part that involved everybody. Princess Big Mac. Giant Derpy. Muscles Spike (loved that reference to A Dog and Pony Show). Things got pretty crazy throughout that part, and I loved the total chaos of everyone being able to do anything. 

I thought the moral was a good one as well. The past is the past, and you shouldn't let that weigh you down. The future doesn't look back. Only you do. I really liked that. :)

Overall I have to give it a 9. Not perfect, but extremely enjoyable and the moral was good. Pacing could have been better. 

Edited by Space Woona
  • Brohoof 3

FINALLY. ANOTHER LUNA EPISODE. IM SO HAPPY. I'm even wearing my Luna shirt!

Luna best princess confirmed. Seriously, her character development is just so great. I just adore her character and how she's changed over the season.

This episode was huge on an epic scale, and it was a lot of fun. I think this was one of the much better episodes of the season.

• Brohoof 3

Wow, that was crazy  :blink: I can't believe they crammed that much epicness into 22 minutes. Bravo!

So many awesome tibtis in that dream :D Beefspike, giant Derpy making adorable noises, Princess Big Mac, Lyrabon quite literally joined at the hip (and happy about it), return of the Flutterbat, resurrecting the library tree.

Poor Luna, still feeling guilty after all this time :( And she hardly ever accomplished anything bad as Nightmare Moon before getting banished/cured anyway. I hope future episodes make more reference to how significant a change this was for her.

• Brohoof 2

So many things in this episode, so many things! And Luna forgiving herself in the end, man this episode was great. This season is so far my favorite season so far. Great way to end the first half of this season. Man, do I love this show!

Brohoof. This episode was fantastic. I loved the free-for-all in the dream world with everything from Princess Big Mac to Flutterbat Returns. My favorite part of the episode, though, was the message. That Luna was hurting herself like this really tore me up. Forgiveness not only from others but also from herself...that was very powerful and moving.

Luna, we all love you! 

• Brohoof 1

It really should have been a two-parter, some kind of mid-season finale.

I actually though it was going to be a surprise two-parter when there were less than five minutes left in the episode and the Tantabus was no closer to being defeated. Just imagine the number of people who would have lost their minds if this supposed single episode suddenly cut to "To be continued..." 

• Brohoof 2

Here are my first thoughts about this episode.

For the last episode before the hiatus, we had quite a treatment with this one.

I might I've missed the first act, but it did not help me to not understand what was going on in the episode.

I really like the randomness in this episode as it clearly made the humour side in my opinion.

The moral kind of also make it in my vision of the things in this episode, as it was greatly executed.

Also nice caracter developement for Luna at the end here.

The only problem I had with this one (Like it seems for a lot people who watched it) was the rushed pacing, mainly at the end, but it was only a minor flaw.

TL;DR Great and nice Luna episode with some nice caracter developement for her with random humour despite a rushed pace at times

I give this episode a 9/10, it is not the best for me, but it did stood out alot IMO

BONUS:

The name of this episode reminded me of this song (even though it's not the first incarnation of this format IK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_WkE-mSDng

That dark horse being Luna :lol:

Of the first half. More will come later this year.

As for the climax, talk about extreme rushing and an anticlimax. The humor was great, but it could've been spaced out better with better showing of the conflict rather than telling.

Sadly, the ending was kind of rushed for me and put me a bit off. It's like:

Luna: I am sad

Twi: No you're not

Luna: You're right

Happy end

But appart from that, this was very enjoyable.

Okay. Good knowing I'm not the only one who thought that climax was a bit rushed. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Think we all need some of this.

THANKS M A LARSON. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

• Brohoof 2