Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the ponies eat grass?

碇 シンジン

They don't eat the eggs? Weird

Haha, the randomness of that genuinely made me lol.

I'd think that they do, I mean they eat flowers for a start, why not grass too? Also, isn't hay technically just dried out grass, so you could make an argument based on that too

• Brohoof 3

That would be most unladylike of Rarity to do!  :pout:

For the most part probably, but definitely not off the ground. They do after all eat stuff like hay and flowers, but they're not the goats for crying out loud.

• Brohoof 2

Ponies do not graze. Grass is a plant with poor nutritional value.Ponies have evolved away from grazers.grazing animals have huge bellies to hold the vast quantities of grass needed to get what little nutrition it holds.

Ponies cultivate their food in farms just like we do. Then they process their food, again just like we do.

Twilight once ordered a grass sandwich at a restaurant. The bread was made with milk and eggs. The grass probably was a special breed, cultivated, cut, and shipped for consumption.

The bakery in Ponyville uses all the same ingredients as we do. Every plant that humans use for food, is grown by the ponies for food as well. 

Ponies in MLP are just analogies for humans. They have all the strengths and weaknesses we have. Its best to just assume they are human in cases like this.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Ponies do not graze. Grass is a plant with poor nutritional value.Ponies have evolved away from grazers.grazing animals have huge bellies to hold the vast quantities of grass needed to get what little nutrition it holds.

Ponies cultivate their food in farms just like we do. Then they process their food, again just like we do.

Twilight once ordered a grass sandwich at a restaurant. The bread was made with milk and eggs. The grass probably was a special breed, cultivated, cut, and shipped for consumption.

The bakery in Ponyville uses all the same ingredients as we do. Every plant that humans use for food, is grown by the ponies for food as well. 

Ponies in MLP are just analogies for humans. They have all the strengths and weaknesses we have. Its best to just assume they are human in cases like this.

I've read a bunch of stuff on TVTropes that (if it's to be trusted) shows a lot of attention to realism re: The MLP ponies.

A lot of it is in the FiM entry on this page. (Said entry also claims "Lauren Faust wanted it to be clear that the ponies were ponies, not pony-shaped humans." That does look to match up with a lot of Word of Faust I've seen.)

But there's stuff scattered on other pages too, like this one and this one.

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 2

Grass is a plant with poor nutritional value.

So are, say, crisps. Maybe grass is eaten as a snack? A grass farm would probably be very boring, not to mention probably not very cost effective. A grazing field is probably capable of feeding about 20-30 cows in real life so grass would probably do a poor job of feeding a town full of ponies who get get much from it. Although the ponies are confirmed as eating hay, daisies and daffodils... I don't know, this is all so complicated!!

• Brohoof 2

I think there's two different answers here: can they eat grass, and do they eat grass (and if they can AND do, how do they eat grass).  Given that we've seen them eat stuff like hay throughout the series, yes, I'm sure they can eat grass.  At the same time, I agree with Silverhoof that though they can eat it, if they do eat it, they don't graze unless they absolutely had to.  Cows, goats, and sheep don't seem to have any problem with grazing from what we've seen in the show, but we've never seen ponies or mules do so, suggesting they have different societal norms in that regard.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I think that they would eat grass, but hay is really grass that has been dried :) :) though majority of there diet consists a lot of apples and a surprising amount of baked goods :) :) :)

Edited by CosmicSpark
  • Brohoof 3

I think it was during a race between AJ and RD. Spike and Pinky were in a balloon announcing the race.

Pinkie mentioned hot dogs (but didn't actually eat them onscreen). We later see their hot dogs are made of carrots.

• Brohoof 3

I think it was during a race between AJ and RD. Spike and Pinky were in a balloon announcing the race.

I don't think there were any visuals of hot dogs but Pinkie said this line.

I'm not sure how ketchup is going to help her in this contest. Now, in a hot dog eating contest it can make them doggies nice and slippery, but personally I prefer mustard. How about you, Spike?

• Brohoof 1