Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

SolyWack

I cant be the only one who thought this. Lets be honest here, Magical Mystery cure sucked donkey wang (that could be a pony name). It wasnt trash like literally any Uncle Grandpa or Cailou episode, but it was still much worse than we know DHX could pull off.

At first i was just like, "Well it must just be impossible to make a one parter that ambitious". Then i layed my eyes upon Do princesses dream of magic sheep (DPD). DPD was an incredible episode.

-It had a plethora of great action scenes (look at my other thread posted like 7 minutes before this one)

-It had a meaningful moral, which MMC didnt even need as it was a story progression episode.

-It went over a lot of different scenes without feeling rushed (Castle, spa, 6 individual dreams, bedroom, 2nd huge dream) or turning into a songfest, both of which MMC figured out how to do.

-My GOD THE ACTION. Wait... Wait, already mentioned that. I just gotta tell you guys i love stories that have great action, yet still weave a heartwarming tale in the middle of it all, thats is something not many shows or even movies can pull off and it just shows the time and incredible effort put into this show.

Anyway, back to buisness. This could have been magical mystery cure. Introduce problem + explanation in first 3 minutes; quick, but not rushed rising action; giant fight scene; a heartwarming moral; bad guy is dead, and Twilicorn is made.

BAM I should be lead writer at DHX. If MMC had been like DPD, twilicorn could have (maybe, possibly, oh who am i trying to fool) been more well recieved. As well as a much more memorable episode for such a big change in the MAIN CHARACTER'S life. It could have been one of the best episodes of the series, alongside the biggest, most important, most storyline changing event in the show's history (Twilicorn, im talking about Twilicorn)

What do you guys think? Agree or Agree?

• Brohoof 3

Well, I agree that Magic Sheep was incredible, but I disagree that MMC was bad.  I thought it was great, too.  But I also think it would have been much better as a two-parter.  Magic Sheep worked fine as a one parter, and they managed to cram a lot in without the pacing suffering at all.  But MMC was just too important of a story to be a one-parter.  But apparently M.A. Larson wanted MMC to be a two-parter, but the big wigs said nope.  I think they did the best possible job with a one-parter, though.

• Brohoof 2

Nah.

'Do Princess Dream of Magic Sheep' was just as rushed as 'Magical Mystery Cure' and honestly not as good. An episode showcasing Twilight's transformation doesn't need to have action, every episode of this show does not need to have action. Action does not equal a good episode. Plus Luna was a bit too whiny in the new episode, while MMC had wonderfully sung songs without the annoyance of constant whining from someone who was already forgiven. MMC needed to be a 2 parter but what was given isn't even close to bad. 

• Brohoof 5

I really enjoyed Do Princesses Dream but honestly I think it felt almost as rushed as MMC was. The first half of DPD was incredibly fast paced and zoomed by to get the point across. It did not lessen my enjoyment of the episode but I could clearly see some pacing issues. I also enjoyed MMC despite it's pacing issues as well. I think both episodes did what they were supposed to do and they did them well in their own way.

• Brohoof 1

Most episodes that doesn't have a two-parter feels rushed these days.

I didn't like Magical Mystery Cure just because Twilight became an alicorn but if I was to pick on the other parts it was pretty anti-climactic on how she transformed just like how the new Luna episode was.

She just had to stop having guilt.... oh yeah okay.... that.... was pretty easy.

Nah.

'Do Princess Dream of Magic Sheep' was just as rushed as 'Magical Mystery Cure' and honestly not as good. An episode showcasing Twilight's transformation doesn't need to have action, every episode of this show does not need to have action. Action does not equal a good episode. Plus Luna was a bit too whiny in the new episode, while MMC had wonderfully sung songs without the annoyance of constant whining from someone who was already forgiven. MMC needed to be a 2 parter but what was given isn't even close to bad.

Thats not a valid argument. I have no doubt that 100% of people would agree that MMC would have been better as a 2-parter.

But it wasnt a two-parter. Im trying to suggest ways that MMC could have been better as a one parter, just like how DPD was.

IMO the big problem with MMC has nothing to do with it being a one or two-parter. What makes me dislike that episode is that the ending feels completely disconnected from everything before it. The cutie-mark swapping plot could easily have been made into its own mid-season normal episode if the ending was changed. It was like they had already written the episode when they were asked to make Twilight into a princess so they cut the original ending and tacked on a hastily-written ascension scene.

Magical Mystery Cure was originally written as the series finale, as stated by Larson. He had planned it to revolve around Pandora's box, not Starswirls unfinished spell, and the reason she becomes an Alicorn would of been because she would of solved a problem that not even Celestia could deal with. Hasbro had the script changed to have it lead into season 4 instead and made it into a musical and changed Pandora's box into what we saw in the episode. 

Basically the episode sucked not because of the writer (cause his version sounded pretty awesome), but because of outside intervention and last minute changes. Even Larson said he didn't feel that Twilight had earned her wings in the version that was aired, and one has to wonder if he was poking a bit of fun at that in Amending fences 

One has to wonder how much this happens with episodes after hearing some of this behind the scenes stuff. 

• Brohoof 1

I think that Do Princesses Dream was executed better than MMC, but the end of it was still a bit rushed, so I don't believe it is the all-elusive "perfect episode."

(edited)

I agree Magical Mystery Cure was bad, but I still think it should have been a 2-parts episode.

Do Princess Dream of Magic Sheeps' conclusion was "less important" than Magical Mystery Cure's, that's why it felt less rushed.

While Twilight becoming an alicorn was something very important and deserved a 2-parts episode.

Edited by Blobulle

Well, I agree that Magic Sheep was incredible, but I disagree that MMC was bad.  I thought it was great, too.  But I also think it would have been much better as a two-parter.  Magic Sheep worked fine as a one parter, and they managed to cram a lot in without the pacing suffering at all.  But MMC was just too important of a story to be a one-parter.  But apparently M.A. Larson wanted MMC to be a two-parter, but the big wigs said nope.  I think they did the best possible job with a one-parter, though.

Yeah  have ot agree with you too.  I like most of the songs that had a point like twilight short sad song which DID move the plot along and acted as a transiation so it wasn't pointless.  I dont see why people dislike it, you cant compare it to high school musical cause well it not the same. "oh but it has musical numbers" so did a LOT of disney films , your point?

Yeah i'd perfer a musicla number over a talking heads scene anyday

• Brohoof 1

No, for me this episode was worse and i actually liked MMC a bit.

This whole conflict about Luna having some kind of Linkin Park disease, was for me cured after Luna Eclipsed, since the ponies all accepted her now. This just makes Luna look like a real Masochist.

Also, the ending just sucked. It was all soluted in a minute.

Luna: I am sad

Twilight: You're not

Luna: You're right

Twilight Sparkle just revolutionized the field of psychology. I mean, all the years of going into weekly therapy and taken medicine and what not. You see, all we really have to do, is saying "you're not sad" and the patient is cured. GENIUS.

The things that stood out for me in MMC where the songs and the songs are great for me, especially a true true friend.

But despite all it's flaws, i still kinda liked this episode. It was wacky, yes. But dreams are very wacky. I really like the over the top action at the end, eventhough it where multiple winks for the fandom.