Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Imagine you woke up back in time 1000 years ago

Finia

(edited)

With a tunic and that stuff.

What would you do?. I'd probably just do my best. Depending on what kind of skills and attribution is needed.

Edited by Finia
  • Brohoof 1

I would probably end up being forced into prostitution or become a slave because of the fact that I am a woman and sadly most women did not have rights depending on where they lived. If I was lucky enough I'd get married off to a decent man but sadly most of the time that wasn't true :/

• Brohoof 4

Well, I'm a woman so there go my rights.  Maybe my best option is to be a nun?  I'm an atheist, but I could fake it if it was my only way out of having babies and not being labeled a witch.  I would be miserable though.  Though, I would probably end up killing myself because they didn't have anti-depressants back then and without those I would inevitably relapse into a severe depression again.

Fun.

• Brohoof 5

Well, I'm a woman so there go my rights.  Maybe my best option is to be a nun?  I'm an atheist, but I could fake it if it was my only way out of having babies and not being labeled a witch.  I would be miserable though.  Though, I would probably end up killing myself because they didn't have anti-depressants back then and without those I would inevitably relapse into a severe depression again.

Fun.

that's true i forgot about the being labeled a witch thing but still all i could think of was "Burn the witch!" from LittleKurihbo 

I'd probably think I was dreaming but I suppose after the realization hit me I would definitely try to find a place to live the rest of my days and see what this time period held for me. 

(edited)

I would become a Renaissance man and invent Calculus, the Steam Engine, realist Art, the Scientific Method, the Ethics of Engineering, the Big Bang theory, flushing toilets, telescopes and sliced bread. Hopefully I could get around to Hubble's Law and basic Aerodynamics before I died. Then I'd preempt the Christian Apologetics of the Moral Argument, the Argument from the Existence of Evil, Substance Dualism, Metaphysical Naturalism-- effectively knocking the feet out of Leibniz, Newton, Brunel, Galileo, Hume, Kant, Neitszche, Hegel and Dennet.

Then when I reached the prime of my life I'd raise all sorts of hell by starting the Sexual Revolution against the catechisms of the Catholic Church by getting married, having a great time and writing books about it. Remind them about how Paul affirmed the goodness of marriage, etc.

God that would be so fun!

Fun.

You might try to pull off the Mulan schtick by seeing if you could hide being female and joining a Swiss Mercenary Army. People today know a lot more about how to look like a different gender than people did back then. And you'd get to kill pig-headed men and be paid for it!

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Try to go to either India or China, then after I get what I need there, it's likely off to Europe for me. I'll pretend like everything I know about the future never happened unless I want to either make someone laugh or if I need to get some quick money for food and/or transportation. Letting a few things slip now and then may be essential if someone like myself were to go to Asia. Let one of the Bronies discover America and make the Smart phone a couple centuries early.  Have fun while you're at it, just try not to give away too much critical information early. Let some people discover and create whatever they were meant to. I don't want every single advancement in the human race being the work of Bronies. Get some diversity in there.  :please:

Edited by LeonShi500

I sleep on the second floor of a house which is only 15 years old.

If I didn't fall to my death, I'd be stuck in the middle of the Californian desert with broken legs and a god damn tunic. I don't think I'd last very long.

• Brohoof 2

Transgender in 1015 ... that might not work so well. I supposed I'd enjoy messing up history at least. Since I already know what will happen, I can pretend to be psychic and proceed to make princess Luna the prime goddess of worship. Then sometime before I'm burned for being Wiccan, I disappear to another country without a trace! ... And repeat said process until I catch the plague =P

• Brohoof 1

Let one of the Bronies discover America and make the Smart phone a couple centuries early.

Getting to the New World in the 11th Century would probably be fairly difficult but not impossible, considering if you could hire a Dutch or Norweigan expedition to Newfoundland or Quebec via England->Orkneys->Faroe Islands->Iceland->Greenland->Baffin Island. It would probably take a year or two, but it could be done.

The smart phone would be more difficult however. At least, to replicate it, or even charge its battery. Smartphones are dependent on many technologies which would not have existed back then: Electricity, Computation, Information Theory, Electronic circutry, Microprocessors, Micro-machine assembly, Liquid Crystal Display, Television, Cameras, and Lightbulbs, to name a few.

Though if you could invent the bicycle and had a scrap of pure copper, and a How It Works for Kids! book you might be able to improvise a rudimentary charger for your phone.

(edited)

Immediately find the nearest business owner or tradesman and beg to be an apprentice. That's probably be the best thing I could do to immediately not useless. I could probably be a farm hand or something I suppose. Hopefully I could use my basic knowledge of hygiene to not immediately catch a disease. Seriously, I'm sure washing your hands or covering your mouth when you sneeze didn't exist back then.

I'm immediately reminded of this sketch by Armstrong and Miller

hmm... I just used the word immediately 4 times...

Edit: On reflection, chances are I wouldn't be speaking the same language as everyone else. I would essentially be screwed.

Edited by Biggybrony
  • Brohoof 1

Hi @Finia! This doesn't seem like something that would generate much controversy, so let's move this thread back to General Discussion. :)

A thousand years ago in Europe, or a thousand years ago right where I am? I don't think I could fit into either culture, to be honest. I'm not very good at adapting, and adapting to those cultures would be a complete and total shock. I would be property in Europe, while I would probably be out on my own where I live right now.

I don't mean to be morbid, but I couldn't see me living very long in either place. In Europe I'd either quickly die of disease, starvation, or killing myself. Here, I would, well, I won't go into the details of the options. I am not made to survive in the wild. lol

I'd excavate a secret cave and "predict" all the things that happened in my life span. I can just imagine the fun I'd have leading historians to believe that the ancients knew about 9/11 a thousand years in advance or about the rise of google or the internet in general. Of course, I'd have to leave one of those phony end of the world prophecies too.

More seriously to survive, I'd try to become the apprentice of a blacksmith. I think It would be kind of interesting to be honest.

• 1 month later...

I'd be in some cold wet forest but if was able to find a village or town lets see what I'd do...

- Death due to starvation

- Death due to poor hygiene.

- Death due to being kicked in the face by a horse while trying to be a farmhand

- Death due to a badly treated injury.

- Get levied into the army

- Death due to attrition

- Death due to over-exertion

- Death due to being killed effortlessly by some horseman in shiny chainmail wielding iron blades and spears while i'm wearing a SALTROCK t-shirt and using a club.

I love the past and the Middle Ages but lets be honest, it would be horrible to actually live it.

• Brohoof 2

Start a scholarly enclave. Implement basic sanitation principles (poop elsewhere, wash hands, boil water, etc.) Introduce students to modern agrarian practices including crop rotation. Begin educating students on calculus, anatomy, biology, and chemistry. Introduce waterwheel power and the blast furnace.

If I live long enough, start working on teaching EM fields and the various fields of electronics.

In the immediate term I'd sell simple technologies to people to get enough money to start.

• Brohoof 1