Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Imagine you woke up back in time 1000 years ago

Finia

I'd probably kill myself. Could you imagine being a woman 1000 years ago? Shit.

If I don't kill myself for some reason I'll convince a bunch of men to follow me and I'll "discover" the Americas. Then I'll make a super alliance with the Native Americans and teach them how to use guns. I'll then proceed to conquer everyone. I'll rule the Americas and nobody'll f*ck with me (until I get stabbed in the back by a trusted adviser or something, but we'll get to that when we get to that)

• Brohoof 1

Well I'd be stuck in the endless forests of 11th century North America with no easy method of travel, so... probably try to get adopted by a friendly tribe of aboriginal, then spend the next decade trying to get to Persia, the centre of scientific discovery in the middle ages.

Edited by TopQuark
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've always imagined I'd be happier living in a simple time without electronics and corporations.  I think I'd be happy in a quaint, medieval village.  Buuuuut....it would only work if it was a place where people were treated fairly.  I couldn't tolerate middle ages (or earlier) Earth, where women had no rights and being an athiest or even agnostic would be punishable by death and everything was garbage and stuff.  So, I'd probably end up getting myself killed for my principles or something.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the first thing I would do is to try and not mention the future world...mainly because you would have been thought to be cursed or something...I dunno...

But I guess medieval China would have looked pretty cool back then so yea...I might have gone to china, and become a sumarai or something....

Edited by Rawzy

• 2 weeks later...

I would try to join a monastery or become a nomad. Life was pretty much hell 1,000 years ago though, unless you happened to be royalty, so I certainly hope this won't happen to me at any point.

For one thing there would be language difficulties.  It would depend upon where I found myself.  If I found myself in North America there would be very little I could really do(At least the indigenous tribes were farmers), other than survive and try to get back myself.  I'd have a much better chance finding myself in Equestria 1,000 years ago a few years after the banishment of Nightmare Moon.  If I found myself in Europe then I would try to find the druids.  Maybe they had something of the traditions of Merlin left over that could help.

I would be very careful of messing up history.  Could you see what would happen if you told the indians that in 600 years people who looked like you were going to show up in ships and take over the whole continent?  Assuming you could get them to believe it.

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

I would be absolutely screwed. XD That is something that would bother me, I would have no applicable skills in anything for the time period and I would probably drown in depression. That or I would try to find the best person to work for in some way. I wouldn't be able to do anything else. :P Cannot be a blacksmith or a salesman, or a farmer, I would just be...something. I am decent at Photoshop, I don't think that would be applicable to the time. 

Well, to begin with, I'm gonna need some money.  So first I'd find a knife, and start whittling some wood into either novelty or practical things to sell.  Once I had some money, I would find a few people eager to make money, and strong enough to work with wood.  Likely teenagers.  I would then start building carriages for farmers to pull things with their horses.  Once I had enough money, I would buy a horse, and saddle up.  After talking to some of the village elders about nearby larger towns, I would plan to make route and go somewhere.  There I would establish a business of woodworking, and eventually have enough money for a house.  

Once I had a house, I'd open up an orphanage for children who have somehow become estranged from their parents.  Continuing to make money with my small woodworking business, I would start employing people to help take care of the children - essentially, I would do so by finding local women who are poor/homeless, and/or who are being mistreated, and letting them stay at the orphanage as they help take care of the children.  Most of my profit from my business would be given equally to each of these women (and of course, to my helping woodworkers).  With the money I am able to keep, I would use it wisely, buying food and such, and saving as much as I could.

Now, of course, this being 1000 years ago, I would be bound to run into men who don't like how I am being nice to women, so I'm going to need a crew of easily lead-able teenage boys/men in their twenties to teach my philosophy to.  These boys could help defend the women from any possible harm from outsiders who don't like what I'm doing.  In due time when I have money saved up enough, I would buy bows and arrows for my crew, and for myself.  I would probably also buy myself a pistol to keep at my side, and I would buy a shotgun to keep by the door of the orphanage (hanging up out of reach of children).  Also, don't think I wouldn't be a caretaker as well; I would.  I would help take care of the children, and as they grew up we would all be family.  

And that would essentially be how I would want to live my life, 1000 years ago.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

I live in South America.

No empires or proper "civilization" in 1015 (nor anything that could be reporpoused into one for a few centuries).

If I managed to survive and prosper in my first decade in the past; I will have to develop in the second a trans-oceanic ship able to cross to Africa [from there it will follow the west coastline towards the Mediterranean Sea].

My ultimate goal would be trying to reach the Middle East before becoming too old and frail to travel.

Well, to begin with, I'm gonna need some money.  So first I'd find a knife, and start whittling some wood into either novelty or practical things to sell.  Once I had some money, I would find a few people eager to make money, and strong enough to work with wood.  Likely teenagers.  I would then start building carriages for farmers to pull things with their horses.  Once I had enough money, I would buy a horse, and saddle up.  After talking to some of the village elders about nearby larger towns, I would plan to make route and go somewhere.  There I would establish a business of woodworking, and eventually have enough money for a house.  

Once I had a house, I'd open up an orphanage for children who have somehow become estranged from their parents.  Continuing to make money with my small woodworking business, I would start employing people to help take care of the children - essentially, I would do so by finding local women who are poor/homeless, and/or who are being mistreated, and letting them stay at the orphanage as they help take care of the children.  Most of my profit from my business would be given equally to each of these women (and of course, to my helping woodworkers).  With the money I am able to keep, I would use it wisely, buying food and such, and saving as much as I could.

Now, of course, this being 1000 years ago, I would be bound to run into men who don't like how I am being nice to women, so I'm going to need a crew of easily lead-able teenage boys/men in their twenties to teach my philosophy to.  These boys could help defend the women from any possible harm from outsiders who don't like what I'm doing.  In due time when I have money saved up enough, I would buy bows and arrows for my crew, and for myself.  I would probably also buy myself a pistol to keep at my side, and I would buy a shotgun to keep by the door of the orphanage (hanging up out of reach of children).  Also, don't think I wouldn't be a caretaker as well; I would.  I would help take care of the children, and as they grew up we would all be family.  

And that would essentially be how I would want to live my life, 1000 years ago.

~ Miles

I knew you had a "Mafia Lord" dark dream in the subconcious... but woodcarving? That took me by surprise.

Edited by SilverComet
  • Brohoof 2

I knew you had a "Mafia Lord" dark dream in the subconcious... but woodcarving? That took me by surprise.

*Righteous Mafia dream, not dark.  Think along the lines of Robin Hood, except less traveling.

Hahaha, woodcarving took you by surprise huh?  Well, I am a country boy, so... I do know how to work with wood.  It may not be A+ work, but it's B work.  I figured that there's pretty much always been farmers, and (obviously) there's always been trees, so why not make some money selling carts and sheds, etc.  

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

*Righteous Mafia dream, not dark.  Think along the lines of Robin Hood, except less traveling.

Hahaha, woodcarving took you by surprise huh?  Well, I am a country boy, so... I do know how to work with wood.  It may not be A+ work, but it's B work.  I figured that there's pretty much always been farmers, and (obviously) there's always been trees, so why not make some money selling carts and sheds, etc.  

~ Miles

My "longterm plan" requires wood processing on a massive scale (to travel the seas, you need both a healthy and loyal crew, plus lots of wood to make a big enough boat); having someone with your resources will be usefull to start the project.

[Totally offtopic]

If you like horror series set in Manhattan; I will recommend you the first season of "The Strain" (2014).

Edited by SilverComet

• 5 years later...

The year is 1021, Iceland recently discovered little over 200 years ago vikings have made it their new home. I would fit right in, telling the tales of their future endeavours. Having a good understanding of machinery and industrialization I would bring the vikings to an advantage in military history. Would simply bring in modern quality of life earlier, there is no reason why you wouldn't just use your knowledge now to make the world then modern. Only issue will be the fact you'd take a while to bring all that technology but if you are knowledgeable and wise this should be no problem and highly rewarding. Since you'll be the inventor of pretty much everything. 

Given I'd not do that though I would rather focus on gaining prowess in battles, to become a legendary fighter.

I'm from Scotland, so there was no cities yet, English hadn't made it to Scotland yet (French, Gaelic and Norse) so I'd have a very hard time with communicating, and no tech or my BF?

fuck that lol, they probably hasn't figure spears out yet

(edited)

Welp, I guess I'll have to be some sort of white Native American.

Hey at least I don't live in Europe. 1021 AD Europe was honestly worse. Both suck, but at least I could actually... live here sort of? I'd still much rather stay in my present time... If anything I'd much rather wake up in 3021 AD.

Edited by Stolas

Try to remember how steam engines worked - or at least try to figure it out.

Also the right ratio of urine to saltpeter to make gunpowder because you gotta defend yourself.

• Brohoof 1